is 149AUD a good deal?

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:13 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is 149AUD a good deal?

I found one way from Cairns to Sydney non stop on VB for $149 AUD. Is that a good deal? It seems to be compared with what I have been tracking.
Also, what about one way Brisbane to Cairns for $89 AUD? also on VB.
Any insight would be helpful, thanks. I am trying to get these booked in advance when/if I find a low rate.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:33 PM

They are both incredibly low prices - grab them if you can!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:07 AM

Hi, TAW! (High Tor?)

Virgin Blue have these specials every few weeks -- at present they are offering Sydney to Brisbane for $AUD39 and Brisbane to Rockhampton for a further $AUD39 -- but they last only a few days, sometimes only a few hours. You need to keep checking their net booking site. Can you book directly with them from where you are? If so, I wouldn't hesitate when you see a fare you like; there may be a cheaper one coming up a week later, but you may not get the day and time you want. Nowadays airlines like to keep you on your toes -- the most exciting part of the holiday may just be nabbing your fare in the nick of time!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM
TAW
Original Poster

I got them, now I am all set with air trips. You are right, part of the fun in planning is in "the hunt for specials". Next is car hires and accommodations.
By the way, is it true that we could just show up in PD or PC and get a place on the beach without prior reservations in May? I read that on this site a while back.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:34 PM

It's good but you have to check Qantas 'red Deal' Specials too. I always check the VB site then 'open another winow' and check QF too, sometimes VB is the cheapest other time QF is cheaper, always check both!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:12 PM
JIW

you are very correct! and I did...I have been watching both sites for my specific flights for a while. I ended up getting one on Qantas because the rate was very close to VB and I get ff miles from Qantas. But the other one I bought was WAY cheaper on VB than Qantas so I chose that one.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:41 PM

I've done the same - 2 of my flights in April will be on Qantas and one on Virgin Blue. Total cost for the 3 flights (Sydney to Gold Coast, Brisbane and Darwin, then Darwin to Sydney) is only $350 AUD, so I'm thrilled. It was nice to look at the website and see total cost - whenever I book flights over the web here in Canada, I see a price, then another price at the end - usually the taxes are about the same as the flight itself!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:17 PM

Another good idea is to remember not to automatically book your returns on same carrier, your outbound could be cheaper on QF and return on VB.