Internet access in NZ

Jan 30th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Internet access in NZ

I'm traveling to South Island NZ in March and will need to keep in touch with family in the US. Is there internet access available in Greymouth, Franz Josef and Te Anau?

Thanks,
Martha
Jan 30th, 2003, 06:42 PM
LN

I found internet access to be great on South Island NZ. I can't really attest to Franz Josef but everywhere we went there were internet cafes for a small amount of money $1.00 NZ to use. I kept everyone updated and they in turn sent me messages as I had no trouble accessing my mailbox.

Perhaps in the Franz Josef village there's a cafe but I can't remember it. generally anywhere there were backpackers - there were e-mail cafes.

Enjoy.
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:03 PM

Yes Franz Josef has an internet cafe. The reason I remember this is I was trying to get in touch with my son in Central America and Hotmail was down. The cafe was awesome and didn't charge me at all for the time spent trying to contact him. Cafes are everywhere and if you find any hostel there is usually internet. Wendy
Jan 31st, 2003, 12:56 AM

In Greymouth you will find Internet access at the tourist office and at Bonzai Pizzeria. In Franz Josef the Cafe Franz has an Internet station for about $3.50 US per hour. Some motels in Franz Josef also offer access such as the Punga Grove Motor Lodge. In Fox Glacier the Hobnail Cafe has an Internet station, and I'm sure there are many others.
Jan 31st, 2003, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. Can I assume that there is an internet cafe in Te Anau, as well, or internet access at a tourist information center?
Thanks,
Martha
Jan 31st, 2003, 07:17 PM

Martha -

Yep, a safe assumption. I'm sure you'll have no problem finding Internet access in Te Anau either.

Have a great trip!