Reload this Page >

Ideas for our trip in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 07:27 AM
Samira Fattah

We are going to Australia in late November for 12 nights...few questions: <BR> <BR>1. 6 nights in Sydney - what are some day trips we can do? Blue Mountains? Hunter Valley? <BR> <BR>2. Flying to Brisbane and have 3 nights anywhere in the area - thinking about 2 nights in Noosa and 1 night on Gold Coast. Any suggestions on what to do, where to stay? <BR> <BR>3. Flying to Dunk Island for 3 nights from Brisbane - is this a good time of year to go? What other islands should we look into? We want to spend the last days in Australia in a very relaxing and beautiful place without spending our life savings.

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 12:20 PM
Michael

Samira, <BR>Nov is a good time of year to visit , the weather should be very pleasant and starting to get hot in North Qld. Your basic breakup of the days is ok , from Sydney a day trip to the Blue mountains is easy, the Hunter Valley is only worth it if you like wine tasting otherwise is is a very long day (from Sydney central it will take you around 2 - 2 and a half hours drive), for Qld Noosa is a beautiful relaxing spot where you can spend a day travelling to and on Fraser Island (I'd suggest that over a day on the Gold Coast),Dunk Island is fine if your heart is set on that island - you may be better off with 5 days in Sydney and allow an extra day in the Noosa / Dunk end of the trip as the travel is not insignificant to get there and back.

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 05:52 AM
Samira Fattah

Michael, <BR>Thanks for the tips. I was curious to know if you like other Great Barrier Reef islands better than Dunk (and why). Also, another option we are contemplating is if we should skip Noosa and cut Sydney down to 5 nights (giving us an extra 4 nights) and head further north in Queensland or go to Kakadu? Any thoughts?

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 01:21 PM
Joanna

You could cut one night from Sydney to spend more time in the tropical north, but Kakadu is in the Northern Territory and you would need at least 3/4 days there, not including travelling time to/from Brisbane. The flying time is 3.5 hours (to Darwin) and then you have to get from Darwin to the park. I think you will have to decide b/w doing either Sydney/Brisbane area, Brisbane area/Kakadu or Sydney/Kakadu. Unfortunately you don't have enough time for all that you want to do.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 11:24 PM
David

Samira, <BR>I basically agree with what Michael and Joanna have said. Darwin in November is extremely hot, humid and the wet season has begun. That may help you plan your itinery. The hinterlands behind both the Gold Coast and Sunshine coasts are beautifull and well worth a look. Look for the Glass House Mountains, Maleny, Mapleton behind the sunshine coast and Binna Burra and O'Reilly's behind the Gold Coast. From Katoomba Jenolan Caves (on the Katoomba to Oberon Rd) is good if your into caves. The Southern Highlands are worth a look...Bowral, Moss Vale, Robertson and Kangaroo Valley, but you need to bear in mind what Michael said about distances. A word of warning, when your looking at maps you need to factor into your timings that roads in Australia, whilst improving all the time, are no where near as good as you would be used to in the US. <BR>