Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

How much do you think this trip to Australia will cost us?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:01 AM
Mike

The end of April<BR><BR>Los Angeles to Melbourne on Qantas<BR>Melbourne 2 nights<BR>Kangaroo Island 4 nights<BR>Adelaide 2 nights<BR>Cairns 4 nights<BR>Sydney 4 nights<BR>Sydney to Los Angeles<BR>Anyone did similar itinerary?<BR><BR>Any recommendations for places to stay in these locations and transportation between locations?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:16 AM
john

US $3,000 per person.<BR>Too long in adelaide-KI.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Nick

No, it is not too long in Kangaroo Island. We stayed there 3 nights and regret we did not have more nights.Rent a car and have a great time

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Merriem

What hotels? That would make a lot of difference. I am thinking about $5000 per person.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Debbie

Hi Mike!<BR>I went to Australia and spent about 5 grand in 4wks...<BR><BR>I flew in/out of Sydney (6nts), then flew everywhere else: Adelaide and KI(5 nts--Grosvenor in Adelaide, Wanderer's Rest in KI as part of a tour w/Adventure Charters of KI), to Darwin(3nts Frontier Hotel), Port Douglas and Cairns (8nts btwn the PortSea in Pt. D, Cairns' Colonial Club and Il Palazzo) back to Sydney (2nts @Menzies on Carrington St.) to Melbourne (2nts) and one last night in Sydney. When I wasn't staying at friends, I was travelling alone, so 18 nights in hotels added up, even at 3-4* places. Most were fine but I would never go back to the Cairns Colonial Club again or the Darwin Frontier. Both needed serious renovations and neither were centrally located. Of all the places I stayed, the Portsea was the nicest.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>Debbie

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:04 PM
Christina

Agree with $3000/pp for air/hotel/food/gifts. Also depends on class of hotels you choose. Check out hotel web sites for good deals. Also check out Virgin.com &amp; Qantas.com for good domestic airfare. <BR><BR>KI - Seafront Hotel in Penneshaw<BR>Adelaide - Director's Studio<BR>Sydney - Inter-Continental<BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:06 PM
SG

Air would be around $1500 and depending on your accommodations and the activities you want to partake in, it can run you about $100/day.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:06 PM
liz

I most certainly agree with John about it being too long in Adelaide and KI - if you consider that that is 6 nights compaired with Cairns ( hope you mean Port Douglas) only 4 nights. I consider 7 nights a minimum for the GBR as there is far more to see and do there than just about anywhere else in Australia Mike.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Mark

Mike,<BR><BR>We went to Oz back in May. Our cost excluding air (I used my miles for that) was $2900/PP for the following:<BR><BR>5 nights in Melbourne at the Park Hyatt<BR><BR>2 night in Adelaide at Hyatt Regency with day trip (flight) to KI and tour w/ Adventure Charters (HIGHLY recommended) Day trip to Wineries by Classic Images.<BR><BR>4 nights in PD at Thala Beach Lodge. I would agree with Liz that it would be good to spend more time there. Included was a Cape trib 4WD adventure and a Day trip to GBR with Quicksilver<BR><BR>5 Nights in Sydney at Quay West with day tour, Sea Plane flight, Full afternoon at Spa Chakra (WOW what an experience!!)<BR><BR>1 Night back in Melbourne at the Airport Hilton before flight back to LAX. <BR><BR>All flights and private transfers in Oz were included in the price.<BR><BR>I hope that this helps. have a great trip. You are going to a wonderful place on the earth.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Dan

One site to check for last minute hotel deals is www.wotif.com. You can get 5 star hotels for $250AUD. The downside is that you cannot book months in advance, the upside is that there are always topnotch hotels available at huge savings. Good luck and have fun.