How many days needed in Sydney?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2014, 05:33 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many days needed in Sydney?

Hi,

We have planned a trip to Sydney, Cairns in Oct. Currently we have 5 full days in Sydney. Is that too much?

Another question - is it worth a drive to Jervis bay as a day trip. I know it would be better to stay a night or more but to pack and move and stay in different places is a bit painful, so thinking of a day trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 08:19 AM

Five days is perfect for a good overview of Sydney. There's plenty to keep you occupied within the city. Make sure you devote at least a day ferry hopping Sydney Harbor. If you enjoy walking / hiking and beautiful scenery, then try the trails leading to Manly and Bondi beaches. For ideas, you can click on my name for a report from my visit a few months ago. I've not been to Jervis Bay, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with that.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM

While you can find enough to see and do in Sydney for 5 days, you could also see the main sights there in less time if you need to add more days to other portions of your trip. If you decide to spend 5 full days in Sydney, I'd use one of those days for a day trip to the Blue Mountains, which is easily done using public transportation, rental car or organized tour.

If you feel that you need to add days elsewhere to your trip, 3 days in Sydney should be sufficient, with a 4th day for the Blue Mountains if you want to make that trip.

I've been to Jervis Bay in the summer and it's a nice beach. Is there some particular reason you want to go there in October when it's a bit cool to be at the beach? I'd probably skip that drive (close to 3 hours) for a closer day trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM

An alternative to Jervis Bay might be a drive either to the South Coast (Berry, Gerringong, Kiama) or a visit to the Royal National Park (south of Sydney) and Stanwell Tops to see the hang gliders and then on to Wollongong's northern beaches. You would drive along Lawrence Hargrave Drive, which is a curvy newish road with spectacular views of the cliffs and ocean. Wollongong itself is not that special but the beaches are nice. Have lunch in Scarborough at the pub there:

http://www.thescarboroughhotel.com.au

There is also a small zoo at Helensburgh (Symbio), which I have never been to but always intend to:
http://www.symbiozoo.com.au

You can also see some of the same views from Bulli, which is the top of the cliffs on the way to Wollongong on the highway.

Have fun, with 5 days an excursion out to the surrounds is a must.

Lavandula
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 06:42 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for your inputs. The idea was mainly to do a scenic drive along the pacific coast. So going as far as Wollongong should do it. Blue Moutains is already in the agenda outside of the 5 days for Sydney.

So, will it be too cold for the beach in mid Oct? My daughter would be terribly disappointed if that is the case!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 05:17 AM

It will be spring and the water could be cold or it could not. If you want to take a good look at the coast, I would suggest going to either Manly and walking / driving north, or heading south from Bondi. The scenery will be beautiful and it's not far from the city. Also if you're going to Cairns, you'll be able to view the Australian coast from there too.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 11:56 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Hmm...it sounds like I could cut down the Sydney stay to 4 days then. What are the must sees/dos, especially things that a 10 yr old would enjoy?
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 04:48 PM

I think the water would be too cold to swim but you could probably walk barefoot, roll up your pants and collect sea shells, or just get a good dose of sunlight. Beaches can be nice even in spring.

With a 10 yr old - in Sydney I would think about Taronga Zoo, one of the aquariums (Manly or Darling Harbour), the Powerhouse Museum in Ultimo, maybe the Australian Museum if you like dinosaurs. Ferry rides and maybe Luna Park if you have excess time. Fish and chips on a beach somewhere. A bridge walk over the Harbour Bridge, maybe even a bridge climb but it is a bit expensive and you must be over 10. The Maritime Museum in Darling Harbour is also quite interesting and there are historic vessels and replicas you can see.

Lavandula
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 04:19 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for all the information. Once finalized, I will post my itinerary in the forum for feedback.
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 02:09 AM

May I also suggest a train trip to Cronulla. It is about 40 minutes on a suburban train - there are plenty of cafes and restaurants right on the beach. You could also then catch the ferry to the beach at Bundeena in the National Park. It is a lovely area on the southern side of the city.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 03:59 PM

Hi, kdd,
Just seen your earlier post. We walked across the Harbour Bridge in early October 2012 - it is great for giving a different perspective. The walk takes about 30 minutes, allowing for time to take photos, and doesn't cost anything. We caught the train back because of time constraints, but would have happily walked back. BTW, this walk is not the same as the Bridge Climb but interesting nonetheless.

The Aquarium at Darling Harbour is really worthwhile. My husband and I spent around 2 hours there.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you decide to walk across the Harbour Bridge ( and I recommend you do, with or without climbing the pylon on the southern side), you could take a ferry to Kirribilli or train to Milsons Point. Then walk back towards the city. The start is at the steps on the Eastern side of Milsons Point Railway station.

You'll finish in Cumberland street, just above The Rocks.

If you do the South Coast drive, the Scarborough Hotel is a lovely spot for coffee or lunch. Jervis Bay is too far for a leisurely day trip.

As someone else said, you could do a loop down to Berry, across to Bowral via Kangaroo Valley & back to Sydney via the Hume Highway. That's a nice mix of coast & southern highlands.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 08:21 PM

Thanks, Bokhara2, for filling in the gaps in my knowledge. I was struggling to remember the name of the street on the Rocks side, where we entered, nor was the name of the suburb at the other end easily recalled! Blame stress of moving on my temporary forgetfulness.
Old Jun 17th, 2014, 02:52 AM

I'd say you'd have no difficulty filling 5 days in Sydney. If you're cashed up, the bridge climb is unforgettable. I think the drive to Jervis Bay is probably a bit of a waste of time unless you really want to look at the countryside. AS commented above, there are plenty of beautiful beaches in and around Sydney and further south. If you're beaching in and around Wollongong (1 hr 30 south of Syd), they have beautiful beaches (Austinmer a favourite with just about the best burger place you'd ever come across). To mix it up on the way back, go via Robertson/southern highlands area which is really picturesque and totally different - cool and mountainess. Good luck. Angus
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 07:27 PM

This is all great information and I will be in Sydney for the first time in mid October. Is Sydney a good walking city?
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, it's a great walking city.

I'm a local & I walk all over the CBD & do lots of other walks just for fun.