How long in Rotorua

Jan 9th, 2003, 02:48 AM
A. Benson

How long in Rotorua

We'll be in N.Z. for the month of February. How many nights should we spend in Rotorua? Would being in a hotel 45 minutes away be a good idea (much more cost-effective). Also, should we pre-book all hotels for the month, since that's still the high season?

Thanks for your help.

Jan 9th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Debi

We were in Rotorua a couple weeks ago. We spent one night there - and basically 1.5 days. I would have liked to stay more. You could drive the 45 minutes, but it was nice being able to walk to restaurants and see the views from the town at different times. I would think 3 days would be perfect. If you're golfers, my husband and our friend played - they have a really nice course there...... The Polynesian Spa was also really neat (the different mineral bath pools...). We were there around Christmas, so our friends in NZ did book the room in advance - not sure how necessary that is..

Jan 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
A. Benson

Thanks for your help Debbie.

Jan 9th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Abby

Debi-do you have to book time at the Polynesian Spa or how does it work? What else is there to do in Rotorua? Is 2 days enough? I don't golf. Thanks!

Jan 9th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Debi

We booked massages the day before. We stopped in the reception, spoke to them - and arranged the services we wanted. They only had one time available - so I think it matters on how busy the place is. Also around Rotorua is Rainbow Springs, which I thought was interesting in that you ride a Gondola up, it has wonderful views, and they have activities there (we didn't have much time to spend) and they also have farm demonstrations (which we also didn't have time for....), etc. I also loved the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute with the Pohutu Geyser. That was really neat. Somewhere, I think I have a brochure from the Polynesian Spa - I'll look around some more. And then the countryside - it is so beautiful!!!

Jan 9th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Christina

Although the termal pools stink up the town, I would stay in Rotorua. It has a nice little downtown area to shop & eat. We stayed 2 nights, but I wish we would have been able to stay longer to make in down to Taupo (sp?) to see the volcanic areas.