Rotorua sights/spas

Jun 14th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Rotorua sights/spas

Hoping someone could give us some insight as to ideas for our time in Rotorua. We will be staying 2 days and want to see sights (any suggestions for tours or just places to see), and luxuriate for a morning before flying back to Auckland for our flight back to the US. Anyone have suggestions for spas and treatments that are special to the area? What tours/sights are not to be missed?
Thanks, in advance, for your help!
Jun 14th, 2005, 10:19 AM

There are two must see sights in Rotorua: 1 Polynesiaspa.co.nz is the premium spa in Rotorua for all the treatments.
2 Agrodome. OK *you* may think sheep herding is not entertaining but the place is fun and you will be well looked after.

Both very professional and well run tourist ventures.
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:21 PM

When we were in Rotorua, we used a 5 star attraction pass that gave us entry into the agrodome (i agree with wilees, a lot of fun), the polynesian spa, the gondola ride to the top of the mountain, Whaka (Maori cultural museum, and themal reserve which was great) and Paradise Valley (with native NZ animals, birds, fish). We got up early and did the circuit visiting each of the places. We also visited the buried village just outside of town and went to a Maori Hangi for dinner one night. I'd recommend them all.
Jun 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Last year, you could go zorbing at the agrodome. The kiwi experience and other related sites nearby are a lot of fun, regardless of age. Best kiwi viewing opportunity, too. There is a wonderful maori village site right in town, too, with a good tour and performance. For even these sites in Rotorua, a car is recommended. Therefore, if you have one, drive a bit south to some of the natural parks, e.g., site of the once-existing pink and white terraces. the hot springs and geysers are fascinating and tourist activities are well laid out everywhere.

I agree about the Polynesian Spa. Get there early to do the increasingly hot baths outdoors and be sure to book a day ahead because it does get busy. The treatments are not quite Canyon Ranch, by the way. It was great fun meeting locals in the baths, too.

Let me know if you need details and I can pull out my itinerary from last year. I was in NZ on my own Nov-Dec 2004 and drove from top to bottom of both Islands.
Jun 14th, 2005, 10:17 PM

We went to the Mai Ora hangi/concert at Te Whakarewarewa Thermal Reserve and really enjoyed the evening.

The next morning we had breakfast at the Fat Dog Cafe (great food, reasonably priced), then drove to Ohinemutu, a traditional Maori area at the edge of the lake, to see St. Faith's Anglican Church.

We spent a couple of hours at Waiotapu Geothermal Wonderland on our way to Mt. Ruapehu as well. It has a wide variety of mineral pools, boiling mud, etc. Very colorful and fun!

You can see pictures, if you like, at http://community.webshots.com/user/ElendilPickle

Lee Ann
Jun 15th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Jed

Our experience at the Polynesian Spa was less than satisfactory.

The private spas were decrepit. The tile was dirty, slippery, and missing, the walls were mouldy, and the floor was seedy. This state of disrepair was more than should be expected in such an environment.

My wife wanted a massage, but was put off by the requirement that she get a hot tub soak beforehand, and the times offered.

We did not experience the larger pools.
Jun 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I loved our time in Rotorua - we really had a blast. The Agrodome is a fun show.

We rode the gondola up the mountain and spent a good amount of time riding the luge - it was great and really made me feel like a kid again.

We did some whitewater rafting on the Kaituna River - going over the 21 or so foot waterfall was the best!

Our experience at the Polynesian Spa was great - the large thermal pools were nice and the massage was pretty good.