How do you say.......

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:09 PM
JudithAnn

How do you say.......

Was wondering, what is the proper Australian pronounciation of the city CAIRNS?

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:13 PM
liz

Care-nss not cans.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Dani

Cair(as in hair) nz. eg Cairnz. If you cringe when you say it, You've done it correctly.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 01:19 PM
cory

You have got to be kidding! Or ar you just pulling JudithAnn's leg? When I said Care-nss, everyone corrected me to Caans. I never once heard an "R" in it once I was aware and started listening to the local people.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 06:14 PM
lcuy

I'm hoping you're right cory, because I understood it to be like cans (as in the american tin cans), but with the a drawn out a bit...

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Stephen

You're all wrong, it's cair( as in the canadian car) nssss. You're all stupid.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Dee

Stephen - think you're wrong - I was told it was prounced like cans - with the a drawn out as the other poster said. I was told this by someone who lives in Cairns - I'd think they ought to know. And how adult to call someone stupid. I'm so impressed!!!!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Caro

Hi there, I live 70 klm away from Cairns... and I have noticed that a number of visiting tourists pronounce it like CANNES. This is a source of amusement for australians. In a nice way of course.<BR>The correct pronounciation of cairns is <BR>cair as in hair...then add the ns on the end. Trust me!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Lucy

I grew up in Cairns & the 'correct' pronunciation (if you want to sound like the locals that is!) is indeed 'cans' with a drawn out BROAD vowel & definitely no 'r' sound!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Mina

Now this is interesting...I have no idea if I said it right. I met a few locals in P.D. who pronounced it Cans. The lady at the airport in Sydney (who bumped me to business class since I was traveling alone) said "A single girl in Cans? You're going to have a ball." But it never sounded quite like "cans" (at least the american version of it)...just close to it...<BR><BR>But my ear is rather untrained....after a while there, I did hear some people say it with just a whisper of an "r" in there. <BR><BR>