Hotels in Sydney

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:04 PM
Kim

Hotels in Sydney

I am looking for a nice hotel with great service to stay at in Sydney this December. My price range is about $200 American per night which I beleive is about A$350. I heard the Ritz and Old Sydney parkroyal were great. We would like to be near all the major attractions. Any reccomendations?Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:14 AM
Debbie

You didn't mention how long you were going to be in Sydney for, but if you have time, go to the Blue Mountains for scenery, Oxford Street Paddington in Sydney for a taste of what Australians are really like and Bondi Beach because you just have to! Anywhere around Sydney Harbour is beautiful too.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Jen

I was in Sydney in May/June and stayed at the Ritz Carlton Sydney for a week - loved every minute of it and would recommend it highly. We had a huge room for approx $200 USD and breakfast was included (either room service or in dining room!). Also - the concierges were fabulous - getting us great tables at super restaurants all through the week as well as getting us tickets and set up with tours ahead of time (Whent on Tours - great day trip out to the Hunter Valley and 1/2 day to the Olympic Site). Also - we loved the location being near the garden and Circular Quay. We walked everywhere from there too. Have fun!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Elsa

I don't think the RITZ is the RITZ anymore, because I tried to inquire about prices the other day and was told that hotel was no longer a RITZ CARLTON. <BR>If you find out differently, would you please let me know. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Elsa

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 06:48 PM
Audrey

I just returned from a stay at the Westin Sydney and it is great! The decor is very modern and it's in a great location for shopping. My room (in the Tower) looked exactly like the pictures on the website so you may want to check that out (from what I understand, all the rooms are very similar in layout and decor.)

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 04:54 AM
Jen

Elsa may be right - we heard rumblings that the Ritz had been sold just as we were leaving Sydney - I checked the www.ritzcarlton.com site and there is no listing for the hotel we stayed at! Very strange - a super hotel!

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 05:07 PM
John

Kim: <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Rydges Wentworth in the CBD. Close to everything. Great service. 4 stars. Within you budget. Class operation. Staff can't do enough for you. Returning in November. <BR> <BR>You'll love Sydney. <BR>John

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 09:11 PM
J Madel

We stayed at The Stafford Apartment & Terrace House Accommodation,75 Harrington St.The Rocks in Sydney in July and thought it was great---very central location, big comfortable apartment style roooms, and good continental breakfast included in the price for under $200 USD per night.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 12:11 AM
Paul S

Kim, <BR> <BR>I spent 3 weeks at the Wentworth Hotel in the Sydney CBD and although it is a first class hotel, I would not recommend it at this time due to all the construction work going on around it. It is quite noisey during the night. If you are looking for good accommodation at a reasonable price then I would go for the Novatel at Darling Habour, the Mono-rail stops right outside it and everything a Darling Harbour is very close. My brother-in-law swears by it. <BR> <BR>Cheers

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 12:12 AM
Paul S

Kim, <BR> <BR>Sorry that should be the Novotel Hotel.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 04:56 AM
Dick

We splurged and stayed at the Quay West <BR>(http://www.small-hotel.com/quay-west-sydney/) <BR>and loved it ...we had a one bedroom "apartment" that overlooked the Opera House And Harbour Bridge. The hotel is centrally located and we were thrilled that we picked it over the Ritz. <BR> <BR>This is n contemporay apartment hotel with hotel services, including concierge, room service, maid service, etc. <BR> <BR>The suites are fully equipped including stereo/VCR, dining and living room and washer/dryer. <BR> <BR>We have stayed in some nice hotels, but this was really really luxurious. <BR> <BR>Wherever you stay,,,,Sydney is agreat city,. <BR> <BR>PS. We were able to locate a "discount card" that the hotel honored.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Roger Vineall

Try the ANA. Prices vary depending on the type of view you get, but it's in a very good location (a 5-minute walk to the bridge climb).

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:57 AM
tom oldham

I STAYED AT THE INTERCONTINENTAL NEAR THE QUAY AND ENJOYED IT--THERE ARE LOTS OF GOOD HOTELS THERE (NEAR THE QUAY) AND WOULD GO TO THE ONE OFFERING THE BEST RATE

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 04:10 PM
Elsa

Tom <BR> <BR>How would you compare the Intercontinental to the Park Hyatt for the view? Also, are the locations about the same from the Quay and boats? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Elsa

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 05:57 AM
Meagain

Allow me to repeat my posting from a similar thread: <BR> <BR>Hyde Park Plaza was nice when we stayed <BR>in '94. 38 College St. (02) 331 6933 Fax 6022. Has featured on UK travel show. <BR>