Hotel near Central train station

Aug 20th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Hotel near Central train station

Will be flying into Sydney in late evening and planning to take the train the next morning to the Blue Mountains. Any hotel suggestions for my one night stay? Will be staying at the Quay West when we return. Thought about staying there but wondered if it made more sense to be closer to the train station.
Aug 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM

No don't stay near Central Station as that is not Sydney's best area. You would be just as well getting a hotel like the Menzies ( I think it is still called that) with a 20 ft walk to the escallators which take you down to the underground train station of Wynard which is on the circle line from Central. There are other hotels which are very close to the Underground as well and then all you have to do is change at Central Station which is a lot easier than getting to Central from any of the hotels around there.
Aug 20th, 2008, 05:18 PM

If your concern is logistics,just stay at Quay West, John. It's all of 10 mins in a cab up to Central.

Alternatively, if you want to save a few $$ as you'll only be in the room such a short time, you might have a look at Metro Sydney Central. It's just a few minutes walk to Central Station. http://www.metrohotels.com.au/sydneyhotels/central
Aug 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Tks, just trying to figure out all the logistics, sounds like it it would be better to stay where we want and take a cab to the train station.
Aug 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM

I think so John, in common with most cities, the area adjacent to our Central Railway station isn't the loveliest part of Sydney.

On my first morning in Sydney, I'd rather wake up to sunrise on the Harbour, the Opera House & the Bridge - perhaps an early morning walk in the Botanical Gardens. Coffee from one of the vendors along Circular Quay, or somewhere in The Rocks ....