Reload this Page >

Hotel Inter-Continental Sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Jen

My family of 4 (two kids 14,16) will be travelling to Australia next year and are considering the Hotel-Intercontinetal in Sydney. However, when I went to the website all the rooms said maximum 3 people. Are there any rooms that hold 4 people? Normally it would be too pricey but appears Qantas has a good deal in their brochure that would make it even cheaper than the Old Holiday Inn or Novotel which are our other choices so if you know anything about them please let us know. Thanks.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Nick

Jen: <BR>Beware of Qantas deals! We almost booked a package deal in Tasmania where Qantas promoted a certain hotel as part of their package. Fortunately a travel agency in Hobart saved us from making a terrible mistake by booking us at another hotel. <BR> <BR>On the way to our hotel from the airport, we passed the Qantas recommended hotel. It was 1 star and far from anything of interest.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 02:28 PM
jeff

ok - I used to work in the travel business so I disagree completely - the airlines have got so much muscle/power in their home market that they get fantastic prices for the rooms they offer - it would a very brave Sydney hotel that would tell Qantas to get lost. They sell cheap hotels in bad locations too but usually you get what you pay for. <BR>The Inter-Con is beautiful - one of my favourites but it's a old historic building so the rooms are giant and you can't get two rollaways in there. Cross it off. <BR>I haven't seen the old Holiday Inn for a few years but it is a great location. <BR>Novotel Darling Harbour? Nice and new but obviously not luxurious - that's not Novotel position. I always think close to the harbour is better than darling harbour but the kids will enjoy darling harbour location better - you can let them loose and not worry about being kidnapped. The aquarium and lots of other stuff is also there and even the monorail ride is fun for the first couple of times. Some casual eating places for the kids as well. <BR>Warning - big wholesalers and airlines get the best prices but the worst rooms - this is true for the Old Holiday Inn as well as the others. <BR>But because the worst Novotel rooms are still ok and because the location will suit the kids best I'd go with that.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 02:30 PM
jeff

sorry - typo - InterCon rooms should read AREN'T giant <BR> <BR>jeff

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 05:03 PM
Jen

Jeff- <BR>Thanks so much for the information. It's a big help. Because you seem to be so knowledgable about what we're wondering, I have now done some more research and am hoping that you wouldn't mind answering a few more questions. You said that the Novotel rooms aren't too luxurious but I was wondering if you know of a hotel suitable for 4 people that would seem more upscale without a super upscale price. (Looking for a hotel about 100-200 US) We were disappointed after going to the Regent's website and seeing it would cost only 141-190 US but then called and found out it would be more like $600 because we'd need a suite! We know the All Seasons Premier Menzies, and Avillion Hotel (which appears to be very nice but until today never heard of it)can accomodate four. We are finding the names of so many hotels and getting so confused.! Where would you stay and do any of the five star hotels ever have really good deals? Please give us any and all the advice you can. This has become a much bigger hassle than we ever thought it would be! Thanks for your time and patience. <BR>Jen

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:28 PM
jeff

give me a day - I'll e mail a friend in Sydney <BR>best bet may be an apartment - see what price Quay West is quoting in the US market - could be too expensive <BR>also look out for Mercure Grand Apartments and see if you can fins a price - just east of the city

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 10:42 PM
jeff

Well I'd still go with Grand Mercure. <BR> <BR>Grand Hotel Mercure Apartments are newish and of a good standard even though they aren't 5 star. But most importantly - they have two bedroom apartments so both you and the kids get some privacy and they're located next to Darling Harbour so have all the advantages we discussed earlier. <BR>You can book this hotel direct with Accor ( www.accorhotels.com.au ) but as hotels don't like offering super discount rates direct to consumers ( it upsets the wholesalers and travel agents)you may want to get quotes from your local retail agent and some internet reservation services. If you do book via a net res service, double check direct with the hotel that the reservation exists. <BR>By the way, Accor also now runs the Old Holiday Inn which is now the All Seasons Menzies so that is also available via the Accor site. <BR> <BR>I forgot to mention that the Science Museum (called the PowerHouse Museum) is behind Darling Harbour and while it's like all good science museums around the world (interactive) it is still a good way to amuse the kids. <BR>Taronga Zoo is of couse excellent with a great collection of snakes for the kids to look at. It's a nice ferry ride as well. If you want to see big kangaroos and crocodiles you'll need to take a tour out to one of the wildlife parks. <BR> <BR>Want to be nosy and check out the harbourside homes? Take a Sydney Ferry (the big green and gold ones) sightseeing trip up the middle harbour. <BR> <BR>Final warning - getting a cab around to the various Darling Harbour hotels is interesting because you have no idea where you're going - don't panic - the cab always takes an odd route to get there. Taxi is the best way from the airport for you because of that ( but they do drive like maniacs so don't hesitate to yell at them if the speed worries you). <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:26 PM
Jen

Jeff- <BR>Thanks again for all the info. We've been doing A LOT of research and at the moment I feel SOO overwhelmed with all the different places to stay but we're narrowing down after a lot of phone calls. We checked out the Mecure and it does look very nice. The hotels we've narrowed it down to (if you call this list narrowed down) are the Mecure of course, Novotel, All Seasons Menzies, Sydney Marriot, Southern Cross towers, Avillion Hotel, and the one that looks the best is the Sir Stamford Circular Quay (previously Ritz-Carlton) although we have a bad feeling that the rooms can't accomodate four people and it's too pricy to get two. So once again thanks for all the help <BR> <BR>Jen