Reload this Page >

Hotel Help with Sydney and Melbourne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Rachel

Hello,<BR><BR>We will be traveling from Manhattan to Sydney and Melbourne in mid-February and I am in desperate need of some help with hotels. We will be staying about 4 days in each city. Ideally, we would like to get a hotel in a good location (in Sydney a view of the harbour would be fabulous). Price isn't too much of a concern. Any help would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Thank you,<BR>Rachel

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 11:41 AM
LizF

The Windsor in Melbourne and the Park Hyatt in Sydney would be my suggestions.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Rhonda

There are many hotels with harbour views in Sydney. The following sites may help :<BR><BR>http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/<BR><BR>http://www.melbourne.citysearch.com.au/<BR><BR>http://www.wotif.com/Accommodation/default.asp?PropType=1&CountryCode=1<BR><BR>A search on this forum will give you many recommendations and other sites to visit.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 05:43 PM
my choice

park hyatt without question- although you may get sick of walking along that pier to get around...<BR><BR>the como in south yarra, melbourne (the windsor is a very old, stuffy place. not at all what i expected- it's like staying at a hotel past its prime on central park south, instead of staying at a hip downtown place.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Kay

Rachel,<BR>In Melbourne I'd book Sheraton Towers Southgate which is built next to the Yarra River, right in the middle of shops and restaurants (this would be my first choice). Ask for a view of the river. Other suggestion is the Westin which is in the middle of the city and is very new. Both are well-located and 5-star.<BR>Kay

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Rachel

Thank you for all the responses. We have ended up with reservations at the Park Hyatt in Sydney with an opera house view.<BR><BR>As for Melbourne we are still trying to decide. My Choice had suggested the Como Hotel. Anyone else have any experiences there?<BR><BR>Thanks again!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Leslie

Hi Rachel - <BR><BR>Although the Como is very nice, I would stay somewhere a little more centrally located. As mentioned previously, the Sheraton Towers @ Westgate & The Westin are both downtown - and both excellent. There is a fairly new Park Hyatt in Melb. now too which is supposed to be fabulous. If you like smaller boutique type hotels, 2 to consider in Melb. are The Adelphi & The Lindrum. Both are excellent. The Adelphi has a small roof-top pool (nice in Feb), and the restaurant downstairs (Ezard) is great.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 09:40 PM
marg

As a Melburnite, I'd stay at the Sheraton at Southgate - it's right on the river and close to the centre of the city. Southgate has lots of great places to eat plus you can get the ferries to Williamstown or up the river to the gardens. <BR>Walk across the river to Flinders Street and you can get the free city circle tram which will take you to a lot of the city attractions.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:25 AM
Stan

I will be there at the same time, Try accomline.com for reservations (hotels are rated from 5 star on down)(prices are very competitive) and fodors.com for a map of the site.