Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Fiji-Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Jill

I have read all the debate regarding Tahiti or Fiji. I think we have decided on Fiji for our honeymoon and are looking for a more secluded, natural resort. But we would also like to leave there feeling like we really experienced Fiji. Any suggestions?

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Diane

Hi Jill, <BR>I would highly recommend a Blue Lagoon Cruise and the remainder of the time Tokoriki. There have been quite a few postings on Rob Kay's Fiji Guide bulletin board recently from people who have done this and the comments have been very, very positive. Fiji is wonderful and you won't regret your choice. Congratulations. <BR>Diane

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:10 PM
BillJ

We spent 10 days in Fiji for an important anniversary some years ago, and split it between the Blue Lagoon 4nite cruise, and Castaways Island Resort. The cruise was incredible, and several honeymooning couples were on board, along with a real international flavor of assorted travelers. Of the 20 couples on board, only three were U.S. A great time was had by all, as far as we could see, and many new friendships were made. We highly recommend Blue Lagoon to all who visit Fiji. <BR> <BR>Castaways was very nice, but it was very windy during our visit. The lee side beach was ok though. The staff was very friendly, and we enjoyed our stay there. Congratulations.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 04:30 PM
sonia

Hi <BR> <BR>I wanted to post here and say that I disagree with the above posters if you want to see the real fiji. To me, that cant be done from a commercial cruise ship full of tourists...but maybe thats just me (and I admit I have never done a cruise as the idea just doesnt appeal(. <BR> <BR>You are on you honeymoon - do you really want to be in such close proximity to dozens of other tourists? <BR> <BR>I do agrre that Tokoriki is a good bet - beautiful island, lovely outdoor showers, a/c etc...not sure what your budget is though. <BR> <BR>Why not try one of the resorts near Taveuni like Qamea beach club, which is small and luxurious but not hideous;ly expensive. Same goes for Moody's Namena and Rainbow Reef, all of which are away from the crowds in a part of Fiji many visitors miss. <BR> <BR>Or, how about the Lomalagi resort on Vanua Levu? They sound wonderfu, only 6 roms I think but again you would be away from the crowds in am area of outstanding beauty. <BR> <BR>These places show th "real Fiji' in that they are unspoiled by tourism and the resorts have been built with scological factors in mind. They are all near Fijian villages to, which you can visit on side trips easily. <BR> <BR>On Viti Levu, you can take guided tours into the moutains and rainforests etc... <BR> <BR>Hope this helps

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Carl Z

Sonia you're missing the point. <BR>It's amazing to me how some people think that there is a 'real Fiji'. <BR>How real do you want it? <BR>Pit toilets complete with flies, flies, flies? <BR>Pig pens complete with reek behind your Bure? <BR>And the noise when you feed them the fish heads!!!! <BR>Cold showers and warm beer? <BR>15 amp lights in your hut, run off a car battery? <BR>LOL!!!I've been there done that just might again some day. <BR>Everything is available in Fiji but on a person's Honeymoon...I think they'd opt for a lot that was somewhat familiar and something somewhat new. <BR>A cruise is a safe way for people to experience the grandeur and wonder of the Coral Reefs and that particular cruise is well-spoken of by many people worldwide. <BR>It's OK for hardened old Salts like me to race over boiling seas in open boats battling Giant Trevallies, Dogtooth Tuna and Whaler Sharks but most Folks wouldn't last 20 minutes in the 'Real Fiji' I know and I don't blame them for trying to find something more suitable.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 06:40 PM
BillJ

Dear Sonia, believe me I don't want to start an arguement, but Blue Lagoon cruise, IMHO, is not your typical cruise ship. there were only about 20 rooms. 40 people, plus about 10 crew. Much of the food eaten was caught that day off the fantail, guests were welcome to help the crew and try their hand at bringing in dinner. Stops were made at several of the Yasawa island beaches accessible only by sea, including a village with no power, in which we felt was pretty close to the "real Fiji," whatever that is. Snorkling stops were frequent, and some of the best we have seen anywhere. Kava ceremonies on board were shared by all, and after the first day or so, we all felt like one big family. I agree this may not appeal to all. This is the only "cruise" we have ever been on. We are not cruise people either. But this was wonderful.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 09:22 PM
sonia

Jeez! Why so defensive? I was just trying to give the woman a different perspective! I certainly did not suggest anything pig-related - have you seen Lomalagi resort? <BR> <BR>Anyway - you have both proved my point, that on a cruise, you may have to put up with people you dont neccessarily like! <BR> <BR>The whole point of these boards is for travellers to share experiences and opinions, which we were all doing. I just find it boring when the same old thing gets suggested time and again - then all anyone would ever do is take the blue lagoon cruise and stay at Tokoriki/Matamanoa etc.

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Diane

Hi Sonia, <BR>I have to admit I was one of those people who got their back up right away when I read your post. Us veteran BL cruisers know how special this cruise is. I have never taken any other cruise and quite honestly a big cruise line just doesn't appeal to me. There is nothing that feels touristy about this cruise....many people leave the ship feeling very happy to have experienced such a wonderful time, but crying at the same time because it has ended. I still get that warm, fuzzy feeling when I think about our time spent with the crew and fellow passengers on my two trips with them. I pounded out a reply on my keyboard when you first posted then decided to erase my post and take a deep breath. After all, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I think you need to experience it before you pass judgement. <BR>Regards, <BR>Diane

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Kristeen

My husband and I spent 9 nights at Matangi Resort and absolutely loved it. There were nights when there were 2 couples on the whole island, and nights we had 6 couples. We stayed in a tree-house bure w/ and outdoor shower. We did hear the plantation goats, but they were not annoying, nor did they smell. <BR> <BR>Our bure was gorgeous and the staff was wonderful. We visited a neighboring island and saw how the locals lived and spent a day at the Bouma Waterfalls. On two evenings the staff took us out for a cocktail cruise at sunset. <BR> <BR>We found their prices to be very resonable (including RT airfare from Los Angeles). <BR> <BR>Best of luck on your honeymoon and marriage.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 09:39 PM
KS

Jill- <BR> <BR>I spent my honeymoon in Fiji and stayed on Yasawa island, a 45 minute flight from Nadi. Yasawa island is paradise, there is only one resort that accomodates 16 couples, so it is very private and romantic. It is one of the few resorts in Fiji were the natives of the island are shareholders. One afternoon we spent in the village with the locals, it was the highlight of the trip as we got to experience Fiji as if we were natives. Check out their website, yasawaislandresort.com. It's pricey but worth it, the price includes all meals which were gourmet.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Louis

When somebody mentions my wife's favorite island of all islands with Bora Bora Hotel on Bora Bora in second place. I have to put in a word. The Bora Bora Hotel costs a bundle but Matangi Island is the best value I know. There are several lovely more expensive places in Fiji but Matangi offers a lovely eden in a natural setting. They had only one tree house when we were last there and have added some more. However, if we were going on a honeymoon we would pick a deluxe bure at the windward end in place of a tree house. We loved its extra space and the ability to be closer to the outdoors. It also would save a bit of money. If you need to know more, check them out at http://www.MatangiIsland.com