honeymoon in Fiji

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Erika

honeymoon in Fiji

I am scheduled to go on my honeymoon to Fiji in a few weeks. Our travel agent said we could switch to Hawaii instead, due to the coup and related problems in Fiji. Should we switch or go to Fiji like we had originally planned. Is it safe? If we go are their special deals to be had <BR> <BR>PS We were going to stay on Matamanoa

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Tracey

Erica, <BR> <BR>I have been checking www.fijilive.com every day and it really does seem to be settling down. There has been no tourist incident either. I am going there on 9/17/00 for my honeymoon and I thought about cancelling but decided not too. People have gone during the hipe of the coup and have not had any problems. Of course I can't tell you what to do because you need to make that decision but if I were you I would not cancel. We are really looking forward to our honeymoon in Fiji, it is suppose to be so beautiful and I wouldn't miss it for the world. <BR> <BR>let me know what you decide and when are you going?

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Lindsey

DON'T CANCEL!!! <BR>Just got back from 10 days: Malolo and Castaway. Both wonderful. <BR> <BR>Picked up a newspaper one day and read a little of the goings-on in Suva. That's the only thing I heard the entire time I was there regarding the coup. Staff at the resorts are perplexed as to why people are staying away. Saw a few guards at the airport who smile, wave and greet you with "Bula" as you go past them. I read all this before I left and decided to go. We wandered around Nadi, fine, quiet, few tourists. Things have settled enough that I know I would have felt fine in Suva as well. Some will tell you not to "support" the gov't by travelling to Fiji until "democracy"/equality is firmly in place. Instead, support the locals who are losing their livelihoods due to lack of tourists. Saw Matamanoa, very nice. Great staff, nicer than at Castaway. Take an island hopping tour for sure and see some other resorts. I would have got tired staying at Matamanoa more than 4 days or so - you might want to go to another resort for part of your stay. Malolo was wonderful although the beach has tons of coral and shells on it. Castaway was nice but staff appeared somewhat jaded after having enjoyed the personal attention at Malolo. Very different feeling between the resorts. Tokoriki was beautiful, quiet like Matamanoa appeared. I'd probably choose a livelier place for part of my stay such as Castaway with many organized activities. More kids at Castaway though. Great beach at Matamanoa, enjoy.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 09:59 PM
IndoEuro1

Although I live now in Canada I still have all my family in Fiji,we correspond by e-mail&telephone,I can confirm what the others have told you. <BR>Politics is the problem,happily it doesn't intrude on the vacationer's experience at all. <BR>As to the coup situation they have the perpretrators in prison now,they'll never see the light of day again. <BR> Fijians are looking forward to 'business (and life!) as usual. <BR>There are so many small resorts in Fiji if one doesn't suit there's always another beach or Island not far away.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Karen Kaiser

I had my honeymoon in Fiji. Though it was well before the coup, I thought Fiji was one of the most wonderful places in the world. If you have the opportunity to go, you should! I doubt you would even stop by Suva in your travels through Fiji. I stayed on Navini Island, which was heaven on earth! More staff than visitors! If you have time to try a different part of Fiji, check out Taveuni - the nature island. The Fijians are the friendliest people I've ever met. Saying "Bula" with a smile will get you a long way in Fiji! Enjoy & congratulations!!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 09:58 PM
Stephanie

The outer islands on the west are very quiet. I was there a few weeks ago and things seemed to be business as usual, except for the lack of tourists. Don't cancel your Fiji trip to go to Hawaii. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Hawaii, but Fiji is an experience you don't want to miss! The snorkeling/diving is unlike any other place. You'll really enjoy Matamanoa. I have to disagree with Lindsay who said 4 days would be enough there. My husband and I stayed for 7 nights @ Matamanoa and it wasn't enough!!! It's a small island, but there's lots to do. The beach is wonderful and the people are so friendly. You'll feel right at home.