Honest Opinion on Moorea Hotel Choice

Feb 25th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Amy

Honest Opinion on Moorea Hotel Choice

I can't seem to get any straight advice or questions answered from anyone (even my own travel agent) about The Beachcomber Parkroyal versus the new Sheraton hotel on Moorea. Does anyone have any input? We are currently booked at the Beachcomber for our honeymoon (June 2-12) this summer. I started hearing some disturbing things (they are closing down for renovations, the beach isn't that good, etc.) about the Beachcomber - but when I tried to change hotels to the Sheraton my travel agent tried to talk me out of it. He seems to think there is no difference between the two and that the Sheraton is not as good in some repects (garden bungalows near road and much smaller, beach no better, etc.). If anyone has any first hand knowledge about these hotels I would very much appreciate it! We have a beach bungalow at the Beachcomber right now - and would have to get a Deluxe Garden bungalow at the Sheraton if we changed (to stay within our budget). Is one much better/different than the other? Thank you in advance if you can help!

Feb 26th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Holly

Hi Amy,
We are going to Moorea May 28-June 4 and I went through the same problem you are experiencing. I have gotten the impression (thru much detective work) that both hotels are very nice. However, it seems to me that the Sheraton is going to be the nicer one because it is new and the Beachcomber is on the older side and may need a face lift. However, I also heard that the garden bungalows at the Sheraton are right on the road. The other thing about the Sheraton is that it is on Cook's Bay and that is where all the cruise ships come in, etc. and may be a lot busier. What it came down to for us was we ended up getting an amazing package deal at the Beachcomber, so that is where we're going. Also, the Beachcomber seems to be closer to a lot of the good restaurants that I've heard of. After getting kind of frustrated trying to get answers to the question you posted, I have just accepted that both places are going to be nice, and if one is better than the other, the difference is not going to be that much.
I hope you have a terrific trip, no matter which you choose, and maybe we'll see you there! Pray for good weather!!!
Holly

Feb 26th, 2001, 05:21 PM
lenleigh

Well I just got back from Tahiti and Morea so I might be able to offer some insight into your questions. We (unfortuanatly stayed in Tahiti the whole time at the Sheraton hotel in FA'AA. It was a nice hotel but nothing to do. Tahiti itself (esp. near the port) is very dirty, the water is litered with trash. We did take a day trip to Morea and I would absolutly recommend it. It was truly what I looked for in a tropical paradise.

Here are three hotels I would reccommend. Le Sofitel is by far the best and probably the most expensive. Great gardens and a nice beach, lots of activities. Elizabeth works at Le Sofitel, she is american and is married to Maco, a tahitian. He was our tour guide on a canoe boat around the island, snorkeling and a private island barbeque. It was a fantastic day and I would highly reccommend taking a tour with him. On our trip, we also went by the Sheraton hotel and the beachcomber. I did not see what they look like on the inside but some other travelers we met had been there and said it was wonderful inside and good food.

I would have to say that the beachcomber hotel and the sheraton looked pretty similar. I think I would have prefered to stay at the Beachcomber beacause they also had the dolphin experience right there at the hotel. And it was close to where we fed sharks and stingrays, saw a turtle. It has a fairly nice beach and water sports. We also noticed that about four of the on the water bungalows were being remodeled. We could see into them and they were empty, no furniture, I wouldnt think that they would take 4 months to finish. But then again they are on tahitian time so everything takes longer than you are used to. I wouldnt be too worried with the beachcomber, I think it will be lovely.
Morea is a small island compared to tahiti and much less populated. I wouldnt even worry about the cruise ships, we only saw one there. It is a clean and beautiful island.
Just wear a lot of sunscreen and continually apply it, I think I got sun poisioning. Not a fun experience. If you have any other questions let me know.

Feb 27th, 2001, 02:35 PM
John

We stayed at the Beachcomber last October. It is a very nice hotel, the grounds are kept immaculate. The beach is not that big, but it is soft sand, so fine for relaxing. The bungalows are nice, we had one that was overwater, but it isn't completely overwater like you see in Bora Bora. The biggest drawback was that none of the restaurants are within walking distance. Most of them will pay for your cab one way though. As for closing down for renovations, at the time, some of the bungalows were being worked on, but most (>75%) were available. I would assume they are renovating them on a rotating basis as needed. We had no problems with ours. It will be perfect for a honeymoon. As for the Sheraton, it had just opened when we left, so we only got a brief glimpse of it and don't really have an opinion.

Feb 27th, 2001, 08:30 PM
melissa

the sofitel is the nicest by far. I have stayed there and i have also seen the other hotels. Splurge and stay in the new over water bungalows but definately stay on a beach bure if you can't afford the water ones. Just for future reference Fiji doesn't have those pollution probs. It is the undescovered paridise. For really good deals check out fijivacations.com I have used them several times. Great !! Fiji is priced much cheaper than Tahiti also. Be ready to fork over an arm and a leg for meals and esp. alcohol. Good Luck

Feb 28th, 2001, 12:30 PM
DONNA

I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT MY HUSBAND AND I WERE IN MOOREA 2 YEARS AGO NOV - WE STAYED AT THE BEACHCOMBER PARKROYAL - AND I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THAT HOTEL - WE LOVE TO TRAVEL AND CAME ALL THE WAY FROM NEW YORK - WE STAYED IN THE OVER THE WATER BUNGALOWS THAT WERE NOT NICE AT ALL - WE HAD BUGS IN OUR ROOM AND THE BATHROOM SHOWER WAS NOT CLEAN - THE GROUNDS WERE VERY NICE AND THE PEOPLE WONDERFUL - BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL - IF YOU LIKE TO BE PAMPERED WITH A BEUTIFUL ROOM - THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. - WE ALSO WENT TO BORA BORA AND STAYED AT HOTEL BORA BORA - JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I WOULD RECOMMEND MOOREA - IT IS A VERY BEUTIFUL ISLAND - IF YOU HAVE HIGH STANDARDS DO NOT STAY AT THE BEACHCOMBER - IT NEEDS A MAJOR RENOVATION - I AM SOORY I DO NOT KNOW THE SHERATON - BUT IF IT IS BRAND NEW THEN IT MUST HAVE CLEANER ROOMS. BE FIRM WITH YOUR TRAVEL AGENT ON WHAT YOU WANT - GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME!!!

Mar 1st, 2001, 10:04 AM
Jennifer

Hi Amy, Stayed at the beachcomber for
my honeymoon last June. Don't know anything about the sheraton. But enjoyed the beachcomber. Stayed in a regular room (nothing special), I would try one of the beachfront rooms though & save the overwater for BoraBora. The beach was good, but again not as good as in BoraBora. All in all I was very
pleased & for Tahitian standards think it was very nice. Remember that you are not staying in a posh New York hotel!

Mar 1st, 2001, 10:45 AM
me

According to my agent and a posting on tahiti.com, the renovations will be extensive at both Moorea & BB Beachcombers throughout the summer.

Personally, I would not want ten days of that on my honeymoon, period. What a bummer that your travel agent is being so unresponsive (who is the customer here, anyway?) I would make a change to either the Sheraton or the Sofitel, and make it very clear that you're the customer, it's your honeymoon, and you want to have it your way no matter which resort he/she is getting the bigger percentage from...

No way is the Beachcomber under construction on a level with the Sofitel or the Sheraton...

Mar 1st, 2001, 11:44 AM
Deb

We were on Moorea in Jan. We stayed at the Bali Hai Hotels, but visited the others. If we went again I think we would stay at the Sofitel because they had the best beach and view across to Tahiti. I thought the Beachcomber Parkroyal had really nice grounds, but get one away from the dolphin show. A lot of people walking around. The Sheraton had a very nice hotel, its brand new I don't think you can beat it. There is construction going on across the street, so I would request a room close to the water.

Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:57 AM
lisa

Amy,

We stayed at a small hotel next door to the Sheraton (while it was being built). The beach at the Sheraton is way nicer than the Beachcomber [Beachcomber is a man-made beach]. That said, however, the Beachcomber is closer to the shopping area and restaurants. The Sheraton is sort of isolated in the middle of the island (you will have to ride a bike or take a taxi into Cook's Bay to eat or shop)

As for Cook's bay being "busy" - you won't even notice they are on the island! Moorea being "busy" is definitely not our North American view of "busy"!!!

Either way, I don't think you will be making a mistake. Moorea is our favourite place in the world!

Mar 3rd, 2001, 03:01 PM
Tiffany

Amy -
I am so jealous. We are planning our trip for next year, but wish I was going now. Since I am in the planning stages, I have seen alot of info on the web. At the www.tahiti-explorer.com forums there a quite a few postings about the construction (they are on the Bora-Bora page, but they refer to Moorea also). There are also quite a few reviews about the Sheraton Moorea. Hope this helps you decide.

Mar 5th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Kim

I can assure you the Beachcomber is like staying a Holiday Inn. Not a good beach, crowded pool area, and the dolphins is interesting but very touristy. We had a OW bungalow and it was like a trailer!! NOT luxurious/ romantic at all. We were very disappointed. Didn't have time to check out other hotels. We stayed two nights, then we went to Hotel Bora Bora..talk about 1st class. What a difference. The OW were to die for. I'm sorry if I sound picky...I just feel for their prices, their standard should be better. Also, the service was not attentive at all. Felt as if we were guest # 1001 for the day!
Hope this helps.
You chould check it out Te Taire on Hanuhine, it sounds fantastic.

Mar 9th, 2001, 07:09 AM
gail

We stayed at the Beachcomber Parkroyal on Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahitilast December.BB was incredible. Our unit in Moorea was right by the Dolphin Quest which created boat traffic, but people traffic was not an issue in the OW rooms.The water was somewhat deep and the current made it difficult to snorkel off of our unit. But what I wouldn't give to be there right now!!!It was beautiful, but we had been spoiled by Bora PR.The Sofitel would be my choice if I went back, but REALLY it is going to be wonderful whereever you end up!

Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:34 AM
lib

We stayed at the Bali Hai on Moorea last June and it was just what I expected the South Pacific to be. Darling, thatched-roof bungalows, no telephone, no television, no air conditioning. It was wonderful and romantic. Keep in mind when someone says something is not close to something on Moorea, that the whole island is only 37 miles around. Nothing is very far away. I loved this island and would definitely return.

Apr 2nd, 2001, 08:58 AM
Debbie

Amy,Hi,I just got back from Tahiti,Moorea, and Bora Bora on April 1st. I stayed at the Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort in an Horizon OW Bungalow. Very Big.Very Beautiful Resort.I visited the Beachcomber and the Sofitel while I was on Moorea.Both were VERY busy hotels. The Beachcomber looked like 'Spring Break' and the Sofitel was very busy and crowded.I did not stay at these resorts but if I had my choice it would be back to the Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Resort.Quiet,private,and gorgeous!!

Apr 4th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Singer

We were on the islands for 3 weeks last December. I did days and hours of research just as many of you did. We stayed at the Le'Meridein in Tahiti the first night and it was a nice room and decent food. On we went to Moorea and stayed at the new Sheraton. The rooms are beautiful. We were in an OWB. We didn't care about the beach because we could jump into the water off our room. The beach is small but not crowded. The rooms that are not OWB were just as nice but close together. The service was good and so was the food. We didn't see any cruise ships in the area. The people on Morrea are real friendly and kind. On to Bora Bora, again we stayed in an OWB at the Le' Meredien which is on a motu. The shuttle back and forth was convienent. Bora Bora has a LOT less to do than Moorea. Most speak only French and therefore seem not as friendly. It is a beautiful hotel with many activities. Food is good also.It is expensive also. We would go to the stores and buy French bread, cheese, wine, beer etc. If you are a food fanatic, the South Pacific isn't where you want to go. You go there for the breath taking scenery. By the way the Beachcomber is older as is all the other hotels in Moorea but they are on a beautiful island and you can either make the most of it or gripe. It did seem a little run down and the dolphins were a waste of time but that is just our opinion. Our reason for going wans't the superiority of the hotel but rather the sunrises and sunsets and the beautiful water to snorkel in. Please e-mail if you have other questions.

Apr 4th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Pat

The Bali Hai is closed, and a new hotel is being built. Darn it, we really liked that place! The sofitel has a great beach and I would go there.

Apr 8th, 2001, 07:04 PM
freewoman

Pat --- We really liked the Bali Hai too. According to their website, they are not building a new hotel, but renovating the Bali Hai. I e-mailed them to see if my understanding was correct and am awaiting a response.

Apr 9th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Pat

Great! I hope the Bali Hai hotel will remain in existance. I would love to go again. Pat

Apr 13th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Brian

My vote would be for the Sofitel. My wife and I loved it. It isn't the most modern hotel, but the friendly staff and the great beach make up for it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO