Search

Hobart, Ballarat and Bendigo: Opinions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hobart, Ballarat and Bendigo: Opinions

Hi,

A couple of days after posting on New Zealand, now I am ready to take on Australia. Ha. Surprisingly, researching Australia was/is far easier for me than New Zealand was. Hence, I have fewer questions. Please note that unlike my other posting, this posting is predominately opinion-oriented (with 2 exceptions). Anyways, I already know that my husband and I want to see Sydney and Melbourne. I also know what nature sights we wish to visit. We have yet to determine how much time to spend in Australia, but we are thinking around 2 weeks.

Anyways, although we have decided on Sydney and Melbourne, we are undecided on Hobart, Ballarat and Bendigo. From the reading I did, I immediately understood Sydney and Melbourne’s importance to any visitor’s itinerary. However, I didn’t get that same (clear and easily-understood) feeling for these 3 other destinations. Do you think any of them are ‘must-sees’ for first or second-time visitors? We obviously enjoy sightseeing and we do not want to miss a country highlight. Conversely, we need to monitor time, money and even the energy we expend! Right. Ha. Thanks guys. I am really lucky to have such nice people willing to provide sincere input.

Oops! I almost forgot. Is it CURRENTLY possible to see a football/rugby game in any major stadium in Australia or will that not happen until mid-February (like in New Zealand)? Also, regarding the ‘Manly Ferry’, is this basically a harbor tour of Sydney or is it something else?
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 03:11 AM

I don't think you could call the three cities you mention "must sees". Tasmania is definately a must see, but I'm not sure I'd say Hobart is if you only have 2 weeks.

The Manly Ferry is a normal public transport ferry, it's not a harbour tour, but if that's what you want there are plenty of tours to choose from ranging from Breakfast to more formal dinner tours.

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM

Ballarat and Bendigo are two of Australia's most historic towns. They came to prominence during the Gold Rush of the 1880s. They both flourished ( gold was found in the area) and developed with some interesting buildings styled as in the Victorian period. They are now favourite tourist destinations with many B&Bs, restaurants etc. www.visitvictoria.com.au
They can be visited as day trips from Melbourne or better still an overnight stay at Daylesford, a small town between the cities.
If you are interested in seeing some of the most historic and scenic areas of country Victoria I would recommend this trip.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM

If you can only devote two weeks to your entire Australia trip, I would not go to Tasmania, which many of us feel deserves a month of its own!
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM

The Rugby Union season in Sydney kicks off on Thursday February 7 at 7.30 pm at Aussie Stadium - it will be featuring the Waratahs (NSW Team) and Christchurch from NZ - playing a trial which should be a good game. The season proper begins the following Friday 15.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

While I continue to welcome input, I just want to thank the current participants of this "Hobart, Ballarat and Bendigo: Opinions " thread. Wow. I did not know that opinions would differ so greatly on this one. I know that at the end of the day it comes down to perspective and opinion, but still, I was expecting ‘public opinion’ to sway in a direction. Well, I’m new to the forum so this is my first lesson! Ha. The bottom line is that my husband likes nature (me too, but more him) and I like beautiful towns and cities with rich architecture, sightseeing, etc. For that reason, I’ve chosen places like Sydney, Melbourne, Christchurch (NZ) and Dunedin (NZ).

It’s hard to describe what I think makes a city or town special, but usually the characteristics consist of vibrancy, beautiful buildings everywhere (and not just in a small, confined area), ambiance and the likes. For whatever reason, the places I’ve chosen seemed to jump out at me immediately. The stuff that caught my eye but didn’t jump out at me is what I am contemplating. Hence, I am gathering opinions about Hobart, Ballarat, Bendigo and Wellington (NZ).

Anyways, of course we intend to do the Great Barrier Reef and Uluru! How can anyone say no to this (especially the reef)? We must admit that we are contemplating extending the duration of the trip (maybe a few days). We’ll see. It all depends on what itinerary we finalize-what we decide to add from, if any, from Hobart, Ballarat, Bendigo and Wellington (NZ). Anyways, thanks for your input. Please continue to share with me your input as you would like.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM

Ballarat is an interesting town with some lovely Victorian buildings. The folk museum (Sovereign Hill) is well worth visiting and can take a few hours to wander around. Across the car park from Sovereign Hill is the Gold Museum, another interesting place. There are nice gardens at Lake Wendouree (but unfortunately no water in the lake due to our drought). There are plenty of modern motels or you may want to consider Craig's Hotel - a relic of the gold rush days.
Another museum in Ballarat is the Eureka Stockade museum, plus there is a good art gallery.
From Ballarat, it's only an hour or so by car to Bendigo, another Victorian gold rush town. Lots of nice buildings to wander around, plus a good art gallery. Within a short distance of Bendigo is Castlemaine (very pleasant botanical gardens) and Maldon (a small village which is preserved by the National Trust). Another nearby town is Daylesford - the Convent art gallery is a must there. For accommodation and dinner in Daylesford, the Lake House is in a good location and has an excellent reputation.
I'd suggest you could easily spend four or five days wandering around this region.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM

If you are coming to Australia in February I would cut out going to Uluru because it will be stinking HOT with flies everywhere. If you are going to have 2 weeks only then Sydney for 4 or 5 days the GBR for 4 - 5 days at least and the travel time between does not give you any time to see much else. A lot of people who write on this forum live in certain areas of Australia and therefore they are somewhat slanted on their part of the World. I live in Tasmania but I am a newby here relatively and although I feel that it is a lovely place to visit you would not be doing it any justice for the couple of days that you have. Why not spend extra days in seeing our nation's Capital, Canberra and add more time exploring the GBR and Sydney and you will have seen a nice cross section without killing yourselves in the process.
Ballarat and Bendigo are nice but certainly not in the time frame you have. Hobart is Australia's second oldest city after Sydney and dates back to early 1800 so is much older than the two Victorian Gold Rush towns and has much more in the way of interesting buildings in and around it anyway.
If you want to add something somewhere then stop off in Brisbane en route from Sydney to Cairns and go out to Morton Island for a day or so and stay at Tangalooma Island and play with the dolphins. Or go south to the Border Ranges and Binna Burra or O'Reilys and see wildlife in the wild.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

LizzyF,

So if we can add some days, then are you still not recommending Hobart, Ballarat and/or Bendigo (alternatively recommending the Brisbane area)? I just want to make sure I am clear on your advice. Thanks.

On a side note, I generally ask forum members not to make recommendations based on days allowed. Rather, I figure out where I want to go and then from there, I realistically put together itineraries. So, regarding Hobart, Ballarat and Bendigo, please advise me according to your perspective of these towns and not necessarily the time I'd have in Australia. Again, thank you and I hope to hear from you. I appreciate your input.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM

Since you'd rather not have opinions based on the time frame you specified, let me put your question in somewhat of an American geography context. You want to visit both New York (Sydney) and Washington DC,(Melbourne)and perhaps now would extend out to Baltimore (Ballarat, etc.) You're also considering a side trip to Boston (GBR)- several hours by air. Add in Hobart and you're headed to Charlotte, NC. I'm going to assume that based on your NZ post you intend to do all this without a car. Could you do all that in whatever time you decide to allot? Australia is so vast, and because on the map it's not close to the US, it's hard to appreciate the distances and time it actually takes to move from one place to another. Tasmania itself, by the way, is the size of Arkansas. If you are going to rely only on buses or organized tours that eats into your time as well. I'm siding (again) with Liz about Hobart - it is wonderful, and I have made four separate trips there, but I wouldn't take the time to go only to Hobart and not see more of Tasmania.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

oliverandharry,

Ha. Thanks for the comparision. I was laughing a little when I read your posting. Hobart aside, the other 2 destinations aren't too far (from Melbourne), but of course, us going there would be based on the hope to see among the more impressive towns/places in the Australia. Hence, I've been asking people what they generally think-and the feedback has been pretty substantial fortunately.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM

Well you want strong idea - then how is this - I don't think that Melbourne is anything special anyway and that is why I did not suggest Ballarat and Bendigo. Sure it has got some nice restaurants but nothing that cannot be obtained in any other large multicultural city in the World. It does not have any stand out features i.e. a magnificent harbour like Sydney or even the tropical influence of Brisbane with close proximity to other interesting areas (yes Melbourne does have the Dandenong Mountains - more like hills to an American). You do not have time, even though you do not want a time factor put into the equasion, to see Hobart and Tasmania because for one thing it would take you up to one whole day to get say from Cairns to Hobart if you factor in getting to and getting from the airports. So my suggestions of Sydney, 4 - 5 days with perhaps side trip on a train to Canberra for a day or so, fly to Cairns and spend at least 4 - 5 days there going to the Daintree, Atherton Tablelands, reef, islands etc and perhaps a stopover in Brisbane for excursions to either Morton Island, Stradbroke Island the Gold Coast Hinterland would give you a nice cross section of city areas and wild-life areas of Australia and that is an easy itinery with rail/bus/car/boat options when you get there.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM

Lizzy's opinions are always strong and often helpful, but that does not mean they are right. To suggest Canberra ahead of Melbourne is mischievous ( she seems to hate Melbourne, I wonder when she last visited) and ridiculous. Canberra is a boring country town with a few buildings that are worth seeing after you have seen everything else. Uluru is an icon and how can you come this far without seeing it?. I didn't miss out on the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls.
Accept the fact that it that it will be hot and flies are everywhere in Australia, it is part of the Downunder experience. O.K if you haven't the time skip Ballarat and Bendigo ( although they are lovely places to visit), but I have also lived in Hobart and I wouldn't put a Tasmanian visit ahead of the Outback as a fair dinkum Aussie experience. The Outback is unique.I have recently received a free copy of Fodor's Australia which I am grateful for. It is very comprehensive and accurate and I would suggest you buy a copy to plan your trip. This forum, though useful is not definitive. I think your first instincts and plans were on the money.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM

oliverandharry's post prompted me to check a few comparative air distances out of interest.

First, some US distances:
New York-Washington 336 km
Washington-Raleigh 365 km
New York-Raleigh 686 km
New York-Boston 304 km
Boston-Miami 2030 km
Los Angeles-San Francisco 544 km
New York-Los Angeles 3960 km

Now some Australian distances:
Sydney-Melbourne 705 km
Melbourne-Hobart 616 km
Sydney-Cairns 1960 km
Sydney-Alice Springs 2010 km
Cairns-Alice Springs 1450 km
Hobart-Darwin 3730 km
(i.e. from the SE to the NW corner)
Sydney-Perth 3280 km
(i.e. from east to west coast)

Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM

To the point, Ballarat and Bendigo would not usually be on a first-time visitor's itinerary, but this isn't to say that they're not worthwhile. I agree that it really comes down to a competition for your available time, and places like Tasmania, Sydney, the Red Centre and Far North Queensland are popular tourist attractions for a good reason.

That said, driving around is the best way to get a feel for a country, time permitting. Last year we spent five weeks pottering around NW USA and W Canada and the lesser-known (to us) places stick in my mind as much as the more obvious ones. Had we not made an unscheduled stop in Great Falls, MT, for instance, we'd have missed the excellent Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, and I found the Buffalo Bill museum and gallery in Cody, WY, as interesting as nearby Yellowstone NP. Just as importantly, the road trip left us with indelible memories of the kindness and hospitality of many ordinary Americans and Canadians, something that's less apparent when you're in obvious tourist destinations where people are paid to be nice to you.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM

For your information Downunder I was in Melbourne 6 weeks ago and it was as boring then as it has been on the other occasions that I have been there.
Canberra is a nice train trip from Sydney and is not a country town.
Bush flies are not all over Australia at all. I have never been pestered with them in Queensland and most of New South Wales if on the coastal areas. Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and the Centre of Australia are plagued with them at times during the year.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM

Hi Mary!
I posted on your New Zealand thread. I hope you don't mind my input on this thread as well.
I have travelled quite a lot in Australia - I have a son living in Melbourne and a daughter in Toowoomba (a short distance inland from Brisbane.) Australia is a cheap and (relatively) close destination for us Kiwis too.
For my money there are two areas of Australia that are unique - The Great Barrier Reef and the Outback. There are lots of other nice places there too - Sydney, for example, is a stunning city - but I'm sure there are other places around the world that match it. (For example, though I haven't been there I gather that Buenos Aires is right up there.) But you won't find anything similar to the reef and the Ozzie outback anywhere else (as far as I know anyway).
You've obviously got the reef built into your planning (we stayed on Heron Island on the South end of the reef - and loved it!) and I presume that if you're going to Uluru it will be a relatively quick fly in and out. It will be (probably) stinking hot and there will be lots of flies in February, but go anyway! Because Uluru is so touristy I don't find it "real" outback, but it is all you can really cover in a short visit - and it is an icon that everyone "has" to visit. (The "real" outback is places like Birdsville! I love that place!)
I haven't been to Hobart or Tasmania - it's on my list of things to do but as I hear it's a bit like NZ it hasn't been a priority - but I have spent a reasonable amount of time in Melbourne (because my son is there) and have visited Ballarat and Bendigo more than once. They are lovely examples of regional centres, and their gold mining roots are worth seeing. Sovereign Hill in Ballarat as as good an example of it's type that I have seen and in Bendigo a trip underground in the gold mine (whose name escapes me for the minute) is a must. They both have interesting architecture and are distinctly "Australian".
However, like my opinion of Wellington I don't think I would call them "urban gems". If you've got a couple of days to spare in Melbourne they make great day trips but I wouldn't plan my holiday around them.
But Melbourne, I think, is worth a visit. Maybe that's because I'm just a simple Kiwi kid and so I enjoy the cosmopolitan ambiance and the multi-ethnic restaurants, etc.
Nope, it's not as spectactular as Sydney but in many ways it's nicer for that. If you like cities I think you'll enjoy it!
Rather than think about Ballarat and Bendigo though think about North Queensland. That's the best area to visit the reef from and it is unique in it's own way too. I like Cairns, or even better Port Douglas. You can easily visit the Daintree from either of those towns and the Daintree is pretty special!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:01 AM

marymaniaci , I think Ballarat is one of the loveliest country cities in Australia .I have spent a lot of time in it for work since the mid eighties .It has beautifully preserved Victorian Gold Rush architecture .Sturt Street ,its main street , is a grand long street with a wide garden median rumnning its length for a couple of kilometres .On the streets running off it eg Lydiard Street are the best preserved examples of Gold Rush buildings .Close to the centre of town is the beautifil Lake Wendouree ( although the drought has / did affect its levels badly ) which at one end has justifiably famous botanical gardens .It has a wonderful Art Gallery( home of the Eureka flag ) and good cafes .If you want to take a detour on the way back take 30 or 40 minutes and cut across to Daylesford and Hepburn Springs ( if driving yourself ) which are lovely spa towns . Ballarat is about 1.25 hours drive on a freeway for most of the way .
Bendigo is thought the best of the Gold Rush cities but I do not think architecturally it is as intact and with such intersting streetscapes overall as Ballarat .But it also has a wonderful Gallery etc . Both are easy day trips and in Ballarat tourists love ( and I did years ago )Sovereign Hill which has won numerous awards as a tourist attraction .
Melbourne is quite different to every other city as they all are to each other so do not be deterred by everyones preferences . It is a city to walk in and around and wander down lanes and into its various precincts in the suburbs on the edge of the city ( Carlton,Fitzroy, South Yarra ,Richmond , Southbank /Arts Centre ,South Melbourne ).It has excellent food at all price levels and good public transport for tourists ( free shuttles ) etc .The various attractions out of town are worthwhile eg The Dandenongs ,( for which I confess a bias as my partner owns a house and large garden in which I slave each weekend )settled as Summer Retreats in the 19th century because of its temperate climate .It is lovely rainforest full of tree ferns and now old famous public and private gardens/ estates with many lovely spots such as Sassafras and Olinda to stay or just do a day trip ,as it is an hour from town .The Yarra Valley , again an hour and a bit from town , is scenic and if interested in wine and food you will be delighted with the breadth of places to visit .
But if you want " wow factor " then Sydney is the only city in Australia with it by virtue of its harbour . Otherwise it is not distinguished by its food or shopping or public galleries etc.They are excellent - don't get me wrong - but the difference between it and other cities is being able to eat a lovely meal looking at or being surrounded by water or travelling to your destination by water .That is quintessentially Sydney .Eat at Pier in Rose Bay and you will see what I mean .
But the " wow factor " is not everything in travel .
So do consider venturing off the well worn paths that everyone else treads and if Ballarat or Bendigo or Melbourne or Hobart appeal then go to them and resist the temptation to conform to a traditional intinerary .
Happy travels and whatever you decide you will have a lovely time in Australia .
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:56 AM

Just simply want to say that JohnFitz's response above is excellent. Mary, I think he has given you a very fair assessment of the relative merits of the various places.

Certainly read all the advice given about what you should and shouldn't see and do your research on the suggestions. The suggetions might bring up something perfect for you which you haven't previously considered. However, if you don't particulary want to go to one of the generally considered "must sees" then don't let yourself get talked into it. You have to have a genuine desire to go see the area/site for yourself. When travelling in Europe we sometimes skip what most people would consider "must see" cities in order to spend time in the countryside because that is what truly interests us.

I also have to echo the general comments you have received about travelling distances in Australia. Do be sure that you have calculated travelling times between various places so that you do not waste too much time.

Regardless of where you end up going I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

I absolutely agree with the above two posters and John Fitz put it well with respect to Ballarat and Bendigo but they are not the only towns in Australia with character and interest. Darwin, although quite a new city is very interesting because it is so different and with about 100 different races living in the city making it a wonderful mix of cultures. Each state in Australia has interesting towns but Sydney is the only city with "wow" factor so if you like cities you have it in a nutshell. If you are coming to Australia to see what the country is all about I doubt you will find the answer in any city here and that is where you have to get out of the cities and into the country proper, be it in Victoria, NSW, Queensland, Tasmania and all the other states and territories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -