Search

Hertz rental in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2002, 04:40 AM
KBAJ

Hertz rental in Sydney

We are arriving as tourists in Sydney and will stay there a few days before motoring south. I think we should wait to pick up rental car when we leave Sydney but my husband thinks pick it up at the airport. Questions: Will we use the car in Sydney? (Our hotel is in the rocks area) or should we pick it up later? The in town pick up place is at Williams and Riley which as far as I can tell is in North Sydney. Will it be hard to get to the in town pick up site? or faster to teturn to the airport? Thanks in advance for all advice. G'day!

Old May 27th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Prue

I think you wil find the Hertz pick up point in William & Riley Streets is the Kings Cross area of Sydney, and therefore very close to the CBD.<BR>Personally, I do not think you would need a car while in the city, but if you intend doing day tours etc,. then perhaps you might. The Rocks area is close to all means of transport i.e. buses, ferries etc. and is within walking distance to most of the other attractions.

Old May 27th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Alan

Hi, KBAJ!<BR>Prue is correct about the pick-up point at William and Riley... this is in eastern Sydney towards Kings Cross, which, actually, is quite a walk from the Rocks, but not un-doable. I would strongly advise that you don't collect your car at the airport, as the public and cab transport from the airport to Sydney is cheap and easy, and I feel that, arriving in a strange city, the last thing you want to do is get behind the wheel and navigate a host of unfamiliar one-way streets before you've had a chance to get to know the lie of the land. Unless the hotel has parking on-site, you will find the Rocks extremely unfriendly for private cars.<BR>My feeling is that you should catch the airport train to Circular Quay Railway Station (you may have to change at Town Hall, but this is an easy, well-signed connection), which lets you out right at the entrance to the Rocks, which is quite a small area (you can survey the whole area from the elevated station platform). Pick up your car only when it's time to move south... a taxi from your hotel to William and Riley will set you back less than six dollars. Have a great time.

Old May 27th, 2002, 08:49 PM
John

i strongly agree with the above advice.<BR>Unless you want to<BR>end up lost<BR>in a shouting match over navigation<BR>with no parking in the rocks<BR><BR>just get a cab to your hotel and use cabs/public transport in sydney.<BR>Given that you are going south it may be advisable to pick up your car at the airport anyway (after your few days in sydney)as it is easier to get on the highway south from the airport than the cross.Go south on highway 1,go into the national park and have a picnic at Wattamolla...leave the big city far behind.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Anand

You do not need the car in Sydney unless you want to go on long day trips outside Sydney Central.<BR><BR>I was just there in April and we walked everywhere, took the trains, the buses. They have one of the best transport systems. <BR><BR>Anand

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Aussie

Hi, We have been to Sydney many times. 3 times in our car, first time had a smash...the other times okay, but we found as a lot of the streets are one way only you have to be very aware of where you need to go.<BR>All other times we have flown & taken a cab or bus to our accom, then ferries, trains, buses. cabs...all very easy to catch & if you are having problems the local will help..Every mode of transport is walking distance from the rocks. Good luck.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 12:34 AM
britgirl

I was in Sydney in March and hired a car through Hertz.Picked it up in Granville,although the address is Parrammatta road.Be very wary of Hertz,they debited me twice for the car,once in the u.k. and again when i returned the car even though they said they would not.staff in the office in Granville absolutely useless.slso, you do not need a car in Sydney,public transport is great.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:33 AM
KBAJ

Many thanks again to all who gave advice.... you are great!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:09 AM
ex sydneysider

so I guesss you can tell that no car is a great idea...but I worked at darling harbour then would walk up to the city and sometimes to the hard rock cafe near kings cross. I walk everywhere even from central station to the rocks and opera house. Haven't walked the harbour bridge... shame shame shame! <BR><BR>But the point is that although they can be quite long walks, and although public transport is readily available and cheap, if you have to walk then don't worry about it...you'll see heaps, have a nice time and maybe get to know a bum or get your shoes shined (though not much of that these days)