Sydney Hotel Choices

Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Sydney Hotel Choices

Hi,

I am looking at wotif.com and seeing good deals for :

- Waldorf Sydney South
- Media, North Ryde

Are these good hotels. I am hiring a car. So I can drive a bit. I am not doing too much in the city and I have a kid. So I need the car.

Thanks,
--
Senthil.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

There is a typo in the second hotel. It is:

- Medina Executive North Ryde

Thanks.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:35 PM

senthilvel, it's your call, but for most visitors a car in Sydney is more a hindrance than a help. It's a drag of a city to drive in, and parking is at a premium in and around the city proper (the CBD, or "central business district"). I take your point about travelling with a child, but public transport in Sydney is pretty good overall and won't break the bank.

Where do you have it in mind to drive?

That said, North Ryde is (I would guess) about 15 km from the city centre, an area of mixed office and residential development. In my experience the limited accommodation in the area is mostly taken up by people having business with the IT and other companies located there. Traffic in peak hours is heavy but not too bad (for Sydney) at other times.

I see that the Medina is on Cleveland Street, a not particularly scenic but reasonably convenient location about 10 minutes' walk from Sydney's Central Station. From Central you can get a train to most places you might want to go - 10 minutes to Circular Quay, for example. Further east, Cleveland Street has a lot of decent moderately-priced eateries (from memory, Lebanese places predominate).

If you really want wheels you might want to check that the Waldorf has parking - I guess they do. Their website is www.sydney-south-apartment.com.au/location.html
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:41 PM

If you have a car and are not focussed on the city then north ryde is a good bet.You might also try the Marriot at north ryde.

The chippendale area may not suit you.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM

John, maybe you should explain to Senthil why Chippendale wouldn't suit her. It may not, but then again it may. IMO North Ryde is an awfully characterless part of town (one of many, admittedly) and may suit her less than an inner-city location. Or not.
Nov 4th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Admittedly North Ryde is an orange county clone but the person seems to want a car and suburban services. They can easily drive to chatswood/northern beaches and get away to the mountains etc without the inner city hassle.

Conversely, cleveland st chippendale is only one wrong turning from an area that no tourist wants to go.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:55 AM

I was thinking of staying at Waldorf in Chippendale but was adviced against it. Could someone tell me what exactly is problem in that area? For me - I have only stayed in Sydney Harbour and Chatswood before, so I don't know Chippendale are...
Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM

The problem referred to is that Cleveland Street borders a locality called Redfern. One street in Redfern houses a high concentration of mostly unemployed Aboriginal people, there are quite a few drug users in that community, and some may be encountered hanging around in the immediate vicinity of Redfern railway station, where in my experience they constitute a minor nuisance. Some months ago there was a mini-riot in that particular street after one of the local kids was chased by police, crashed his bicycle and died. Since then there's been a high police presence in the vicinity.

Much of Redfern, it should be said, consists of tree-lined streets of pleasant terrace (row) houses which have been colonised by young middle-class professionals and university students. Many Sydney people, who rely on lurid media reports of troubles afflicting that small area referred to, don't know this and believe Redfern to be unsafe. As johhj_au says, it's not tourist territory, but nor is it the South Bronx. I should add that my son lives a few doors from Redfern Station where I've visited him there quite a few times and encountered nothing more confronting than the odd drunk or a junkie panhandling for small change. My daughter also lived in another part of the suburb for a while, and we felt quite comfortable walking through Redfern on our way to Central Station.

Having said all that, there's no reason why anyone staying at the Waldorf should wander into Redfern at all, as it's south of Cleveland Street, and the city centre is north. But given that Senthil will have a car and won't be visiting the city centre much, I agree that she may well be better off at North Ryde.

ozexplorer, I hope this helps. As previously mentioned, the Waldorf isn't a long walk from the south (Central Station) end of the city centre, and there are bus services.
Nov 24th, 2004, 02:57 AM

Well if you are set on hiring a car then I guess N Ryde is fine. It's your trip - but strange choice - suburban wilderness. Are you sure you need that car? What are your plans? Where are you planning on going?