HELP! Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

Jan 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

HELP! Where to stay on the Great Ocean Road

My partner and I will be traveling along the GOR for 2 days and we have no idea where to stay. We will be based in Melbourne, but plan to take 2 days and 2 nights to see the Great Ocean road. Can anyone recommend a hotel/motel? Should we book in advance? Should we stay at the same place both nights? I am a novice at road trips...thanks!
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM

We're also planning a visit to the GOR in late March. I've done alot of research and decided to use Apollo Bay as a base and take day trips from there.

We considered spending one night in Apollo Bay, and one in Port Campbell, but becuase the GOR is only about 160 miles long, we decided to limit the unpacking and packing and just stay in one spot - we added a third night because there seems to be alot to see and do in the area and we hate to be rushed.

As far as booking in advance, it will depend on the time of year. If you're going during Australian school holidays, you'll definitely want to book. Weekends also seem to be very busy, so keep that in mind.

As far as where to stay, I haven't been there yet, so can't help there, but we chose this place:

www.colonialcottages.com.au/
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:53 PM

These sites might help you in your planning:

greatoceanroad.stays.com.au
www.greatoceanroad.com.au/
www.greatoceanrd.org.au
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM

I think if you drive to Lorne for lunch on the first day and then drive on to Apollo Bay and park yourself there for your two nights then you can day trip on day 2 (12 Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge (great story), Maits Rest etc down to Port Campbell), then return to Apollo Bay for a nice dinner, and then a leisurely return to Melbourne (with maybe a stop off for a late lunch in Geelong) on day 3. Although the trip to and a visit around Port Fairy is fantastic (about 200kms from Apollo Bay), it makes for an awfully long drive back on that 3rd day (nearly 300kms on the shortest route - and that's not very attractive) - especially after lots of sightseeing. One point to remember - the Great Ocean Road, is all about leisurely driving, taking in the spectacular views and sightseeing, so you want to make sure that you allow plenty of time to stop off at places that take your interest on the way.
Jan 20th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. I had thought about staying at Apollo Bay but didn't know if it was a central enough location, but it looks like it is. What about Grampians National Park? I was hoping this was something I could fit in while on the GOR. Is it worth it? Also, I was hoping to do some cave exploration - does anyone know of any that are easily accessible from the GOR?
Jan 21st, 2006, 07:10 PM

You could do the GOR one day, stopping overnight at Warrnambool or Port Fairy. Next day head north to the Grampians (you should be there before lunch), have a wander around and then drive to Melbourne early evening. If you can allow three days, you could stop at Ballarat as well.
Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:37 AM

We 'did' the GOR from Melbourne just before Xmas.Left Melbourne about 8.30am We drove the freeway (abt 3 hrs) to CAMPERDOWN (a pleasant little main street lined with ancient elm trees and good coffee shop), then on easy roads to Port Campbell. Stopped off at the Twelve Apostles (down to 7 now!) and on to Loch Ard Gorge. Princetown (which is just a general store and a pub) for lunch (in the pub). On to Apollo Bay arriving about 4pm (time for tea). we'd booked one overnight at the Phoenix Apartments in LORNE. I booked through www.wotif.com.au The apartment was clean, modern, good shower,hairdryer and breakfast food supplied. Right on the seafront. Just 50 yds away was Reif's Restaurant- great seafood pasta! Next day we went to see the Erskine Falls (in the bush up behind Lorne) before making our leisurely way back to Melbourne- we stopped off in Geelong for a drink late afternoon.
The driving was very easy & I'd recommend Lorne over Apollo Bay which seemed a little down at heel.