Reload this Page >

Help in planning 2 month trip Asia-Aus-South Pacific

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:57 AM
troy

We're planning an 8-10 week honeymoon and are thinking about visiting several locations in South Pacific, New Zealand, Australia, and Southeast Asia. Having never traveled to this region of the world, we'd appreciate some destination and itinerary recommendations. Thanks in advance for you responses.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:52 PM
tutu

Gosh, I envy you both heading out on such a journey. A few years ago, we spent a month travelling to Singapore, Hong Kong, parts of Malaysia & Thailand. Highlights included Hong Kong for its urban density & energy, northern Thailand - Cheng Mai & the hill tribes are worth visiting, the Phang Na national forest in Phuket I think it is in where you could take a boat trip to see wondrous limestone cliffs rising out of the ocean. Of course, Bangkok as a base from which you could do day trips to the ancient capital of Thailand,etc. In Singapore, we had fun eating at the outdoor food courts - they're strictly regulated regarding hygiene, etc. <BR><BR>We just returned from Aust/NZ and if you're into the outdoors & pristine scenery with warm wonderful people, then spend as much time as you can in NZ - especially the south island in Fiordland National Park. As for Australia, Sydney is a must - very spectacular city. Enjoy & safe trip.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Jackie Murray

You can't miss the Cook Islands in the South pacific - Raratonga is the main isalnd and is the most beautiful place I have ever been. Its very small and you can cycle around it in 3 hours. There are some excellent restraunts - try Trader Jacks on a Friday for a bit of atmosphere. If you go make sure you stay on Muri Beach. The main hotel is called the Pacific Resort and is on a lovely beach surrounded by a lagoon. Fantastic - can't wait to return

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
Jean

In 97 my husband and I spent three months in S.E.Asia and Australia. My suggestion would be to start in New Zealand for at least a week on each island. Dont move around constantly, that is tiring. Use Queenstown and Christchurch as bases on South Island, and Auckland and Bay of Islands on north island. Leave Australia for another time - it is too vast to see quickly. Then to Bali for two weeks. While there take time to go to Torajaland in Sulawesi - an adventure back in time. Then to Singapore (though to us it is too Americanized); by train through Peninsular Malaysia (stopping off); then to Ao Nang (Krabi) in southern Thailand. There are incredibly beautiful beaches on the outlying islands. Then to Bankgok and Chiangmai. I have left the latter until last, as there you will find the best shopping, and would not be lugging stuff with you. Hope that helps.<BR>Jean

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:43 AM
LizF

I think if you miss the GBR when you are coming this far it would be a crying shame as you will be missing one of the Natural 7 Wonders of the World. <BR><BR>Also I have to disagree with the previous writer about beaches in Thailand. I think you would be taking your health in your hands to swim anywhere in the Gulf of Thailand I would think that most of the waters are as polluted as could possibly be. Also none of Thailands beaches can compare with ones we have in Australia. <BR>I got very very ill from swimming off the beaches in Bali and that was 20 years ago. The E-coli count must be incredible in that whole region. <BR>Again I must also disagree with the previous writer about Singapore. Sure its got high rise buildings and traffic but that is where the similarity to the USA finishes. What it does have is the lowest crime rate in the world, and the cleanest streets, no beggars and a rich society - in terms of culture that is. <BR>I guess we all see things differently.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:26 PM
Mark

Dear Troy<BR> My name is Mark Abraham and I work for a company called Pacific Internet Travel, which organises independent itineraries for travellers to New Zealand.<BR>I have read the comments that have been made regarding your questions and it is good to see that a lot of people are willing to help with informative information about New Zealand.<BR>I believe that our company is also able to help you as we are able to provide you with a break down of the best places to visit, comfortable time schedule between the destinations, excellent rates for accommodation and a broad range of rental vehicles to choose from. We can also create for you a rough itinerary for your proposed trip to New Zealand free of charge. This will allow you to get a better understanding of what is required and how to best go about travelling around the North and South Island. At this point in time we only provide itineraries for New Zealand, but we have had honeymoon tours through and we believe we can provide you with a fantastic relaxing trip.<BR>You can also obtain a lot of information about the North and South Island by looking at the links that we have on our sidebars, which you will find on the left hand side of our site.<BR>If you have any questions that you would like to ask about your trip, please feel free to email me and I will do my best to answer them for you.<BR>I hope that I have been of help and I hope to hear from you soon.<BR>Regards<BR>Mark<BR><BR>ACROSSNZ.com - http://www.acrossnz.com<BR>Email : [email protected]<BR>Ph: +64 3 488 628 Fax: +64 3 3488 162<BR>P.O.Box 567 Christchurch New Zealand <BR> <BR>"Acrossnz - creating fantastic itineraries for independent travellers to New Zealand"<BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:48 PM
LizF

Well if the above is not the most blatant break of the rules of the board I don't know what is. <BR>Mark get off this site - its for travellers talking to travellers and not for commercial totting for trade. I hope that Troy will not contact you and that Fodors will remove your post from this site.