Search

help for an itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help for an itinerary

Heading to Australia this May...2 of us have 2 weeks, flying into Sydney first then 3 days are being spent camping near Alice Springs. Planning the rest of the itinerary, but not sure which of these to do in the short time we have. Would love to see the following, but would like some realistic recommendations: Darwin, Perth, Tasmania, the Great Barrier Reef, Melbourne ALSO, if anyone has input on camping at the Rock...what am I in for???? This is my first outdoor experience!!!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Hi njgirl,

Expect very cold nights at the Rock, as it is our winter here. The night temps quickly plumet to 0 degrees celsius and by 5 am don't be surprised if it is around -4 or -5. In short if your camping bring some warm PJ's.

The one good point is that there wont be any flies to bother you during the day.

Cheers

Paul_S
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul!
Funny that you mention the flies...that was truly one of my concerns about sleeping in the desert as I had been warned! How hot can I expect the days to be in early May?
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Hi njgirl,

The daytime temps will be quite pleasent they usually will be in the high teens to mid 20's thats celsius.

You will pretty much be bug free here during the winter months especially once we start getting the frosts in the early mornings.

Cheers

Paul_S
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 12:51 PM

>>>>>>Would love to see the following, but would like some realistic recommendations: Darwin, Perth, Tasmania, the Great Barrier Reef, Melbourne<<<<<<

That is too much territory to cover in 2 weeks, IMO. The Australian mainland is the same size as the Lower 48 States of the U.S.

Furthermore, you don't say if the 2 weeks includes flying time to and from Australia. If it does, you obviously will have less than 2 weeks to spend in Australia.

Since May is the southern hemisphere's late fall / early winter, I would go no further south than Sydney, if I were you.

If you want to see things at what I would call a sane pace, you could do the following:

Sydney and Blue Mountains - 5 days

Uluru / Ayers Rock - 3 days

Far North Queensland (around Cairns) - 6 days

If you have fewer than 14 days in Australia, and you have to cut something out, I would leave out the Blue Mountains, but would strongly recommend that you try to spend 3 days in Sydney at an absolute minimum.

The other "must see" is Far North Queensland (snorkelling or diving in the Great Barrier Reef and visiting the tropical rainforest.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy, this should help us with our decision. Knew we couldn't do it all, yet it's so hard to pick and choose! You also have me thinking of adding a few extra days for flying time...
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Hi njgirl,

I really think 3 days at the Rock is way too long, 2 days max would suffice.

Cheers

Paul_S
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

If it was up to me, I'm not sure I'd be camping at all at the Rock! We won this part of the trip (2 nights/3 days camping) which includes Alice Springs. Amazing to us, so we're taking advantage and adding another week plus of our own. Just having trouble narrowing it down. Thanks again!