help before i leae for kiwi land

May 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

help before i leae for kiwi land

where is best place to change USD to ND in christchurh? i fly in sat 1300. also how accepted are credit cards in New ealand in gas stations, supermarkets, restaurants, et
May 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM

ATMs are easy and safe. The rates are competitive, too. If you have a Bank of America debit card, use WestPac bank ATMs, and there will be no conversion fees, either.

You will occasionally have trouble with a US credit card at a gas station or store. The merchants are quite used to this and will either ask if you have a different credit card or would you want to try a debit card instead?

We only ran into this scenario a couple of times, and always out in the country, not in big cities or tourist areas.

Have a great trip!
May 13th, 2009, 01:19 PM

Hi, Kevin.

There are Bank of New Zealand kiosks at the airport where you will be able to change USD into NZD. The BNZ rates and charges are comparable to those of most other banks.

The weather forecast here in Christchurch is for fine and windy weather on Saturday and Sunday, continuing fine into next week. It should be reasonably warm here at the weekend (well, in the mid to high teens celcius, anyway). Hope you enjoy our fair city.

Rob.
May 13th, 2009, 08:13 PM

If you have a debit card, ask your bank re its international acceptance for instead of bringing loads of US$ and then exchanging, you may be able to just withdraw from an ATM in NZ$ and your US bank just debits your account in US$ using whatever the bank exchange rate is on any given day.
May 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

THanks for your help everyone.

Can you guys help me with some itinerary advice. THis is pretty much what i've got down, but particularly i was hoping you guys can add some short hikes that will have great views and doable during this season.
May 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

day 1 chc, arrive 1300
day 2 chc in am, drive to lake tekapo, lunch, night at twizel
day 3 early am mount cook, hiking hooker valley?
drive to te anu in afternoon/evening

day 4 early am drive to milford sound, cruise around, milford sound lodge
day 5 hiking in milford vs driving back to te anu to hike?
te anu to queenstown, overnight in QT
day 6 QT, (feasible to make a quick trip to glenorchy?)
day 7 early am drive to fox glacier/franz josef
day 8
May 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

day 7 hike glacier? half vs full day
day 8 afternoon drive to punakaiki, overnight there
day 9 am drive to moutueka, walk abel tazman to anchorage bay
day 10 walk to bark bay, then water taxi back, drive to picton
day 11: picton, blenheim wineries
day 12 kiakoura, to christchurch

not sure if certain places like wanaka, hotitika, glenorchy, arrowtown, arthurs pass are worth stopping by. Again, i'm particularly interested in short trails, or beginning parts of the "great walks" that you guys think would be doable in this itinerary and not too rigorous. Thanks for your help guys!
May 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM

That looks like a fairly full itinerary, Kevin. Have you looked at the distances and travelling times? You may be spending so much time in the car that you will not have the chance to do the walks to the extent that you want.
May 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM

I agree with kiwi_rob - you've got a lot crammed into a short time and you might have trouble fitting hikes into your plans. Glenorchy is a 40 minute drive from QT, so you can certainly get there easily enough. Many of the hikes from Glenorchy are a bit difficult to get to though, so be prepared to drive on unsealed roads and perhaps cross a few fords.

I'm not sure day three is feasible, suggest you look at the drive times as well as the time needed to hike.

There are some great hikes between Milford and Te Anau on Milford Road, but you'll also have a four hour drive that day (#5) so you'll be limited.

Day 7 isn't feasible either, as it's a 6-7 hour drive from QT to the glaciers. Please don't make this drive in the dark - it's too pretty to miss.

Day 9 looks a bit ambitious too, suggest you check the drive time and walk time. Are you staying the night in the park? Where? If it's a day walk, you'll need to coordinate with the water taxis for your return.

Looks like an awful lot Kevin. I can make some track suggestions, but it would help to know your definition of a 'short trail'.
May 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

i guess i'll do the fran josef hike on day 8

day 3 i'll hae to be doing it in the dark....is that a scenic route? i figure i'll baktrack anyway so i will see in again?

to ankorange bay is only 4 hours and we'll stay there that night. so day 9 seems to be ok.

when i say short i mean like 2-4 hours.
May 15th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Agree with KiwiRob and Mel Kevin and you'll find a lot of the roads you're planning to use will be narrow and windy - and on any unsealed roads you had better check what the hire conditions are first.

You're also starting to get close to time of year when you can expect to get road ice and driving some of the alpine roads at night ain't something I'd be planning on, ice or not.

Have you used a travel planner like on www.aatravel.co.nz
May 20th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

new zealand is awesome. thanks for the hlep!!! all! appreciate ot
May 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I hope that you didn't get caught in the heavy rain and snow that has affected some parts of the South Island over the last week, Kevin.