Search

Healesville Sanctuary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:15 PM
Cara

Healesville Sanctuary

We will be doing a cruise tour to Australia, New Zealand in Feb. We want to go to the Healesville Sanctuary while in Melbourne. The ship's shore excursion for this is sold out. How can we do this on our own? How far is it? How do we get there. How much does it cost? How much time do we need there? Is there a place for lunch? What else should we see when we return to Melbourne? Thanks for the help.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 09:04 PM
marg

You could possibly join a coach trip from one of the city hotels. The companies listed below all run sightseeing tours and should be able to give you some information. Alternatively you could hire a car for the day.<BR>Cobb &amp; Co - www.cobbco.com.au<BR>Quinces - www.quinces.com.au<BR>Murrays - www.murrays.com.au<BR>Healesville is about 1 1/2 hours drive from the city - the road goes through the Yarra Valley winegrowing region. You will be able to buy lunch at the sanctuary. Don't know the entrance fee but it would probably be about $15 Aust.<BR><BR>The cruise liners dock at Port Melbourne - there is a tram stop near the dock so you can get into the city very easily. A good place to wander around is Southbank - lots of eating places and shops etc. The new Federation Square in the CBD has art galleries and a visitor information centre. If you are in Melbourne on a Sunday, the craft market at the St Kilda esplanade is good for souvenirs and people watching. The Queen Victoria market in the city is excellent for souvenirs, clothes and food (open Saturdays, Sundays and some weekdays). There are some very nice public gardens close to the CBD - the Botanical Gardens, Fitzroy Gardens, etc.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:53 PM
Mike

G'day Cara, <BR>Happy New Year to you. <BR><BR>Marg has given you excellent advise. <BR>Healesville Sanctuary is quite a large park and often people take well over two hours there. <BR><BR>I don't know how much time you have got in Melbourne, but if it's all day or more you can see quite a bit. <BR>Have you thought of joining with another couple and get a private tour for a day? <BR>With four people that wouldn't be too expensive per person. <BR>That way you could also sample some great wines in the area without having to worry about the driving. <BR><BR>Enjoy Melbourne, it's a great city. <BR>Mike.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 03:24 PM
Cara

Thanks to both Marg and Mike. That is the kind of info I was looking for. We will be traveling with another couple. I like the idea of a private tour rather than a coach tour. Do you have any info on how we arrange that? Will we need to reserve it in advance or can we do it on arrival. We will have from about 8:00am to 6:00 pm, so should have time to do Healesville as well as Melbourne. Thanks again for your help. This is really a great site for planning trips.<BR>Cara

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:51 PM
wayne

Just went to Healesville Sanctuary 2 days ago. It was good for my toddler but it is nothing to shout about for adults. Just some local aussie willife-kangaroo,wombat,koala and tassie devil.The SIngapore and Melb zoos are much better. Entrance fee is A$16.50 and it takes 1.5 hrs to drive fr melbourne. The track is 1.5km to 3km depending on how much you want to see. Can be done in an hour.No lunch except for a cafe but you could hv lunch in Healesville town 4 km away.While you are there it would be good to visit Yarra Glen 7km away for their good vineyards.Go to Yering Stn for excellent food and wine.<BR><BR>ps You cant see Melb and the Dandenongs (Healesvile and surroundings) in 10 hours.<BR><BR>pps Dont forget to visit the excellent (IMHO) Fedration Square. I'm sure it'll be Melbourne's icon in future.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:14 PM
marg

Mike's idea of hiring a car and driving with another couple is well worth following up. Here are some websites out of the Melbourne phone book - hope they can help you.<BR>www.lincolnlimo.com.au<BR>www.kendarilimos .com.au<BR>www.limoscene.com.au<BR>www.astins.com. au<BR>I don't know anything about the above companies - just a pick from the list shown.<BR>If you can't get to Healesville, the Melbourne zoo is excellent and is only a short tram ride away from the CBD.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
Mary

I agree that trying to see any of Melbourne and Healsville Sanctuary in 10 hours is just not feasible. As Marg mentions - Melbourne Zoo is only a couple of kilometres from the city - it has a great Australian wildlife area that you can wander through and be with the animals - (like Healseville), and you'll still have time to see a bit more of Melbourne.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:16 PM
Cara

Thanks to all who replied. From all that I have read I think the thing to do would be the Melbourne Zoo and then sights around Melbourne for a one day visit. Thanks again for the help.<BR>Cara