Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Have you been to Fiji-Would you go back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 1998, 05:07 PM
Louis Dameson

If so what did you like about your visit?

Old Apr 8th, 1998, 04:28 PM
Maureen

I went to Fiji with my family in August last year. We had a great time. I'd definately recommend it for a family as the Fijian staff were wonderful with Kids. We stayed at a small resort called Hideaway on the Coral Coast, it was very relaxed and laid back and I'd certainly recommend it. We also stayed on Plantation Island where the beach was fantastic, but the resort had been through a few management changes so the staff were'nt quite as friendly but that could well be improved now. I've heard that Castaway Island has a combination of great beach and small friendly resort.
We also Lunched at the Regent which had great food and a lovely pool area, but the beach wasnt that good.

So my advice would be if you want a really relaxing holiday Fiji is a great choice. I'd recommend a smaller resort if you want to see the freindliness of the people at first hand -particularly if you're with young children and to stay at a small resort. If you want good beaches you really have to go out to one of the islands, but be careful which one you choose as some of them the food can be a little disappointing and you have no choice of places to eat.

Suva has much more rain than the northern side of the Island, but is worth a day trip.
We'd love to go back.

Old Apr 9th, 1998, 07:13 AM
Loui Dameson

Thank you for your comments. We think we will go to the Matengi Resort which is a private island near Taveuni. It is both a dive and family resort. We are primarily interested in snorkeling and nature. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the fiji area.

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 08:45 AM
Dennis Keenan

I have been to Fiji several times and just love it! Check outh the web site www.spac.com - they seem to handle resorts to fit every price range , and all they do is Fiji.

Old Apr 10th, 1998, 06:07 PM
Peggy

Yes! I'd go back in a minute...and we do. Stayed at Turtle Island 2 yrs ago & went to Namale Resort on
Savusavu last October. Wonderful people,atmosphere,
water sports,food etc. The honeymoon bure at Namale called "Nanise" is breathtaking.Built up on a rock like a treehouse with a hugh private bridge & deck.
When you shower in the big spa tub with louver windows it's like being outdoors. They have diving
included in the cost. Snorkeling was ok but not the best, only because the water was rougher than usual when we were there. Good luck, you'll enjoy most any resort in Fiji, as long as it is off the main island.

Old Apr 13th, 1998, 05:54 AM
Louis Dameson

Thank you all for your comments. We have booked the Matangi Island Resort for 8 nights the first part of May.

Old May 1st, 1998, 11:51 PM
Jill

We will be going to Fiji this June for 11 days, will split the time between the main island (for sightseeing) and Castaway island. From the books and videos, it looks just heavenly. Any additionaly info anyone would care to email would be great. Particularly interested in health prevention and sightseeing on viti levu. has anyone been to castaway?

thanks,
Jill

Old May 7th, 1998, 09:08 PM
jeff

Jill - spend more time on the island. A few days on the mainland for sightseeing will be enough. I've been to Castaway twice. It's a very good MID price resort but try to get a beach front bure if you can - it's worth the extra cost.
Health precautions - generally there's little to worry about, especially at the hotels and resorts like you'll be staying at. But the mosquitoes can carry Dengue fever. It's not usually serious and you're very unlikely to have problems but I'd advise you take simple precautions by using insect repellent when you're on the mainland, especially at night. A can of fly spray is the cheapest protection you can buy.
You will LOVE the Fijian people - they are much friendlier than you can imagine and I know you'll enjoy your stay.
The food on all the islands is only ok (except the very expensive ones like Turtle) but you'll come back adifferent person.

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 04:16 PM
Barb

I think I am too late for all those involved in this conversation...but I'll post just in case others are interested. We went to Kadavu Island (southernmost) to Dive Kadavu in April and it was spectacular. The scenery, diving, snorkeling (some just off the beach by our bure) were all wonderful as was the staff and the food. The resort only takes 16 people and no children. The villages next to the resort gives you and opportunity to meet some "real" Figians and experience their genuine and friendly nature.

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 07:47 PM
Louis Dameson

It is unexpected to see this at this time since I wrote it. We visited Matangi Island resort in Fiji for 8 nights starting May 5th. To answer my question, yes we would go back. We have never been met with friendlier people starting with the immigration officer. The islands were free of trash that you will find in many island areas in the world. I will not name them. Perhaps it was due to the weather, but this is only the second time that we were not bitten by any insects and we did not use repellent or the netting provided by the resort. The weather was mild compared to expectations and we used covers at night. The Matangi Island Resort is tops in my book and we have stayed in many including some of the tops such as Little Dix. We do tend to like the family type atmosphere where the owners are there. While we are not divers, this is a top diver's resort or also a top resort for people on there second honeymoon. I will rate it over Qamea. On Viti Leva, the orchid garden are worth a visit. If you like top quality wood bowls, don't miss Steve Cohen's work. Jack's Handicrafts handles him exclusively. Steve is from New York, but has chosen to work in Fiji for the past 8 years. We ended up taking back as luggage about 100 lbs of his work consisting of a table and two bowls. This in itself was worth the trip. I tried to fit a schedule on Blue Lagoon to the Asawas and nothing worked. We will most likely go back next year to visit that region and then to Eupi Island in the Solomons. We recommend Air Pacific.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 10:37 AM
Kate

<BR>If you have a slightly smaller budget and are back packing, Tavewa island in the Yasawas (North west islands) is really beautiful - close to some stunning islands - blue lagoon island, and long beach - picture postcard stuff. The resort, Coral view, was comfortable, not luxurious, the food was good, and the staff friendly. There was a problem with the transport to and from the island, so allow a little extra time for 'Fiji time', but once on the island it was fantastic.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 10:39 AM
Kate

<BR>If you have a slightly smaller budget and are back packing, Tavewa island in the Yasawas (North west islands) is really beautiful - close to some stunning islands - blue lagoon island, and long beach - picture postcard stuff. The resort, Coral view, was comfortable, not luxurious, the food was good, and the staff friendly. There was a problem with the transport to and from the island, so allow a little extra time for 'Fiji time', but once on the island it was fantastic. It was F$35 a night all inclusive and the food was better than David's place!