Has anyone purchased CDW for car

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone purchased CDW for car

This insurance is not covered by any of my credit cards. It's cost is about $5.00 US per day (100 for my 20 day stay). If there is damage I would pay about 500.00 in US money. What does everyone do.Is it worth to pay this cost. Thanks. ALana
alana is offline  
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Alana,
most people do pay that insurance.
Even just a 'minor damage' can cost you much more.
OzMike is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 392
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Author: michi
Date: 03/08/2004, 02:29 pm


I?m not sure if you can rent a car without either waiving Collision & Damage insurance because your credit card allows you to, or unless you buy C&D insurance. Is this possible? In some places in Canada I believe it's included in the cost of rental but you?d have to know this before you sign.

If you should have a choice and don't take out C&D insurance, I don't understand why you would have to pay only $500 US in the event that you had a collision that is your fault and your car and another are seriously damaged or destroyed wouldn't you be responsible for both?

Conditions will vary from state to state, province to province, and country to country. Make sure you know before you rent, all the ins and outs of what is covered including personal liability. Don't initial anything you don't understand. Know what the rental company's responsibilities are. Yes, it's there in very fine print, and if not ASK.

And don't count on full backup from your own insurance coverage. It will depend on the circumstances of an accident. I researched this very carefully but others may be able to tell you more. Maybe we need more details.

And even if you had a C&D waiver through your credit card, you have to be the PRIMARY cardholder to sign the waiver as far as VISA is concerned, otherwise the C&D insurance will not be valid. This is clearly stated in the VISA booklet. I am a supplementary cardholder on my husband's account and so cannot sign a C&D waiver.

As a result, I have taken out a credit card as primary cardholder.

Take the insurance.
michi is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 183
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CWD costs are not covered by my credit cards and if I had damage I would have to pay the 1st 750 NZ dollars, so I'll pay the upfront fees of 8NZ. Thanks Alana
alana is offline  
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 240
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had Diners Club, and I checked - they specifically covered auto rental in Australia. (Or anywhere, they said). I know in Italy, before when I only had Visa, the coverage was mandatory and I paid. I have never heard of it being mandatory in Canada - our company pays for its own business coverage, so on business trips we are instructed to waive. In all other cases, in Canada and USA, I have always waived based on the card, with no hassle.

A friend of mine living in Ontario got rental coverage as an extra on his car insurance - he was an independent consultant who travelled a lot. Manitoba has government car insurance, so this is not an option.

I never got any hassle in AUstralia or NZ when I waived the insurance. There's some fine print about how some places the car had insurance already and you were responsible for the first $3400 or something... I forget. Basically, the rental places have their own insurance to cover the cars, but they can come after you to reimburse it, I understand.

I would especially not go into a strange country where the rules are different, without some coverage. What if you racked up the car, your fault or no? They'll put the hold on your credit card for the full amount until you settle somehow... meanwhile, you're stuck in a foreign country with no room left on your card...
MD is offline  
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are driving in New Zealand I woould definately recommend taking the insurance. When you pick up the car the desk clerk will try and persuade to upgrade your insurance cover. Make sure you have not already bought this extra cover via your credit card, why pay twice.

You can reduce your excess right down with extra premimum paid, your call.

Given the standard of driving here and that NZ has some unique give way rules which always catch out the unwary I would plum for the cover.


Kiwi_acct is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Aug 28th, 2014 04:23 PM
Mar 26th, 2006 03:34 PM
Mar 17th, 2006 08:57 PM
Aug 6th, 2005 02:10 PM
Sep 8th, 2004 12:44 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information