Search

Hard times ahead for Fiji?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:11 AM
John

Hard times ahead for Fiji?

Travelers to Fiji might be interested to know that several European countries, led by Germany, are banning or severely restricting the sale of kava due to reports of liver damage resulting from its use. The US authorities are looking into the over-the-counter sale of kava and nutritional supplements containing it, but whether or not it's restricted in the US (where the FDA has more limited powers than the EU countries) it's certain many N. American users of kava will hear the news and stop.<BR><BR>The impact on Fiji is likely to be profound. Kava is the leading cash crop of the islands, and features strongly in Fijiian culture. No doubt the growing and sale of kava, and the creation of "kava millionaires" has played a big part in the ethinc tension in Fiji, which has led to political instability.<BR><BR>It's hard to see an up-side to a collapse of the kava market, and there may be impacts (good or bad) on tourism to the islands as the effects begin to be seen. Keep an eye on the news from Fiji if you're interested in the politics of places you visit.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Fiji Fred

Tell me what's the point of your post?<BR><BR>Some countries have, on a the basis of some very dubious scientific reports, said to be considering the restriction of Kava sales.<BR><BR>Is that it?<BR><BR>I've travelled and worked in different Kava consuming countries in the S. Pacific including Tonga and Vanuatu-where the grog is the strongest- and have never seen a regular Kava drinker suffering from Liver Disease.<BR><BR>I've spent many, many a night drinking cup-or bilo-after cup and have never felt anything but great the morning after.<BR><BR>I think it all comes down to ingnorance-yours-and scientific imperialism-the North.<BR><BR>Fiji is in fact just now starting to recover from the aftereffects of political disturbances in the past.<BR><BR>Budget resorts are again full and high-end place report increased bookings.<BR><BR>Is that your point/business?<BR><BR>Do you wish to somehow damage the goodwill amd economic well-being of innocent people?<BR><BR>Are you jusy a chronic complainer who has nothing good to say about anyone???<BR><BR>Do you spend your time on the net like an 'ambulance chaser'-clicking from US State Department warning to infectious disease sites, with some CNN propaganda thrown in for good measure???<BR><BR>Give us all here a break-STUFF IT!!!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:41 PM
John

Geez, Fred, calm down. <BR> <BR>I don’t have any agenda at all, except to mention some news in the international media this week, which I thought was worth sharing. It looks like an important part of the country’s economy might be threatened, however unfairly, and people of good will might take note of it and think about how the wonderful people of Fiji can weather any downturn that might come from this. What do you think could replace the kava portion of Fiji’s economy, Fred? Eco-tourism? Forestry? More jobs in hotels?<BR><BR>I apologize if I somehow insulted you or made you think I was gloating or pointing fingers. My fingers are actually crossed.<BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 11:10 PM
ALF

It has been my impression that a large portion of the kava harvested is for local or nearby regional consumption. I think that Fiji's economy is diverse enough in any event to weather the loss of the ability to export kava extracts to some other countries. Actually, I think that the potential for liver damage has been documented, but for habitual long-term drinkers of fresh-ground root. There are plenty of other drugs which would do you far more damage if taken daily for a few decades.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Carl Z

I too have never seen a heavy Kava drinker with serious liver damage.<BR><BR>I think it's be hard to determine what caused a person's problems as in many locales Kava and Liquor are often on offer together.<BR><BR>I agree with ALF , mosy Kava is consumed locally anyway.<BR><BR>In the end John has posted in the wrong forum, Fijilive and Fijiexiles both drag all this thru the mud daily-if you want to talk about the minutea of Fijian Society/Politics ad nauseum that's the place -not a travel forum.