Reload this Page >

Great Barrier Reef Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:14 AM
KR

I have 7 days for a trip to Australia. I desperately want to see the GBR. <BR> Does anyone have advice on how to plan this trip..where to stay, which day trips to take, where to fly into, etc etc. I would also appreciate some ideas about how much this may cost.<BR>Thanks for any help..<BR>KR

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:15 AM
liz

I wrote a reply but it disappeared !!<BR>Here is another. <BR>Try this web site http://www.wotif.com/holiday/<BR>which gives you some really good deals on the GBR. Look at the Whitsundays and Cairns/Daintree/Port Douglas - the latter 2 being the best. <BR>Also check out www.qantas.com.au for any airfare and holiday specials.<BR>Deside whether you want to stay in the Whitsundays or go to Cairns and surrounds. Both have their attractions so it would be good if you did a search on both areas.<BR>Assuming you are coming from o/s stay one night in Sydney and get a rest before continuing up to the GBR.......Enjoy!!<BR> <BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Christina

KR,<BR><BR>I'm not sure where you are coming from but it is probably cheaper to fly into Sydney &amp; then take a domestic flight on Virgin Blue or Qantas to Cairns.Try purchasing flights from their websites (it can be done from other countries).<BR><BR>I would suggest staying in Port Douglas because it is closer to the GBR and nicer than Cairns. We took Poseidon to the GBR and loved them. My hubby &amp; I did intro-dives which were fantastic!!!<BR><BR>Also spend a day going on a tour to the Daintree &amp; Cape Tribulation. BTS tours was wonderful! You can probably (depending on where you are leaving from) spend under $2000 US.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 05:04 AM
John

KR:<BR>Here's a vote for Cairns. We stayed at the Rydges and went out to the GBR on the Ocean Spirit. Beautiful catamaran. Great crew. They offered SCUBA diving, snorkeling, and glass bottom boat. Also toured the Kuranda Forest. <BR>The Rydges was under NZ$100 per night for two.<BR>Lovely area, Cairns.<BR>John

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:56 AM
sheryl

Day trips to the reef. The Lizard Island day tour with daintree air services is the best tour we have done.<BR>www.daintreeair.com.au<BR>You will not regret it. The flying, the reef , the marine life,the lunch, the guide , the reef , I mean WOW!!!<BR>All the other posts you see in here raving about the Lizard Island Day Tour do it for a reason.<BR>Sheryl<BR>