Great Barrier Reef Islands

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Great Barrier Reef Islands

Which place has the best "Great Barrier Reef" experience? Bederra or Lizard Island?
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Both owned by P&O
Both very expensive (by oz standards)

for the reef experience lizard wins hands down.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Forget Green Island, check out the comments on this forum.
Good Luck

Mucky
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:34 AM

We just got back from our 2 week honeymoon a few weeks ago. We couldn?t decide between Lizard and Bederra either. Our travel agent who recommended Lizard b/c we are both certified divers, active, and also wanted privacy. We spent a week on Lizard and it was wonderful! I highly recommend it.

The activities: The diving was amazing and the snorkeling is great too. There are lots of places to snorkel from the beach by the resort and the diving trips are well worth it alone. We did 3 day dives and 1 night dive. We saw a few white tip reef sharks and another type as well. Our last dive at Cod hole was the best I think. Lot?s of cod and fields of coral. Absolutely breathtaking. You can take your dinghy and go to a beach with your lunch basket and go snorkeling too. We enjoyed the privacy of our own beach.

The food: You?ll gain at least 10 pounds. The food was great.

The room: It?s nice, spacious, and island/feng sui design. The views are spectacular. I recommend room 40 or 39, it?s a bit more of a walk, but you have much more privacy. One thing though there are not bathtubs, only showers.

The staff: Everyone is very friendly and will do whatever it takes to make your stay better. The only person we were put off by was the Gen. Manager. I don?t know if he just didn?t like American?s, or young American?s, but he would talk to everyone except us. Another American couple noticed the same thing. Oh make sure they are not doing any Island burning when you go. They were burning brush near the resort and it got a bit smokey at times. Yes there are lizards, but they leave you alone. They?re great for pictures.

I highly recommend it. We plan on going back in a few years. Hope this help!
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:56 PM
lmw

it really all depends on what you're looking for. we just returned from 1 mth in oz (2 adults and 2 kids 5 and 7). we spent 4 nights on south molle and it suited us fine becuase of kids club, pool, etc. however, it wasn't 'fancy' for a nice romanice getaway...definately not club med on lindeman!! we did find that the prices for all of the islands were quite high even though we booked a last minute deal with an oz travel agent while we were already there. good luck!!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 03:20 PM

Mary:

We are going to Lizard in October. Can you tell me what the dress is for ladies at dinner? Thanks.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Hi Eve,
Everyone is very casual at breakfast and lunch (Shorts and a nice dress shirt). The dress at night in the restaurant is business casual. I brought to many dresses I never wore thinking it would be more dressy at dinner.

At dinner I would recommend a skirt or pants and a nice dress shirt. All the new people to the island tend to dress up the first night b/c they're not sure how to dress for dinner and then quickly realize.

Also when you arrive they explain it to you that you get to have dinner at one of their 2 beachside spots during your stay. They sign you up for an evening when you arrive b/c it fills up quick. You get to have 4 beachside dining evenings, so if you want more than 1 you'll have to tell them. For the beachside dining I got dressed up (a nice long black dress, a should wrap, heels, etc.) It made for some great pictures. You'll have a great time!! Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help!

Mary
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Thanks, Mary. I'm assuming by dress shirt you mean not a cocktail blouse?

Are guys okay for trousers and collared shirt for dinner?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Eve,
Yes, a cocktail blouse will be fine. Trousers/slacks and a collared shirt is fine for guys too. Several guys even wore hawaiian (tropical print) shirts to dinner too.

Oh and also have your camera with you on the plane b/c you can get some great pictures of the various islands or reef while flying. We were looking over our pictures last night and they came out great! Have a great trip!!

Mary