Search

Great Barrier advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Barrier advice

My husband and I will be in Australia in a couple of weeks and will have about a week to play in and around the Great Barrier Reef. I am totally at a loss for where to stay (both area and hotel). We would prefer to stay in one location and do day trips around rather than trying to see too much in such a short amount of time. Can any of you give us some suggestions as to where to go?

We will have been in Sydney for a week staying in an expensive hotel before we head up there, so we are looking for something inexpensive - no more than $150 a night, if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Bella
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:09 AM

We're going in a couple weeks, and I did a lot of digging into this issue. I'm sure you'll get some responses from local experts, but to me it seemed that the Port Douglas area would be a reasonable place to base. You'd be at the launching point for some GBR trips, and you'd have relatively easy access to Skyrail, Cairns, Daintree, Mossman, etc.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 01:01 PM

I agree with Dave. Port Douglas is lovely and you can do all the major places out of there.Others will advise you where to stay. We stayed at the Radisson some years ago and liked it but I am not sure what they charge now.Pat on this board has a B&B in nearby Cairns which is the place you will fly to out of Sydney. I have not stayed there but Fodorites give it a big tick. Good luck!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

I have just reread your question and note that you are coming "in a couple of weeks".Yikes! It is real tourist season here and school holidays. You will have to move quickly to get accommodation and transport!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks all. took your advice and booked in port douglas for the week. found a lovely (looking) place called the central plaza port douglas - booked online through hotel club and got a really great rate for a 1 bedroom apartment. thanks again.