GOR on New Year's Eve?

Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

GOR on New Year's Eve?

I left my planning for the GOR too late and am trying to salvage it before it gets too late for even that...
We arrive in Melbourne from Cairns around 5 pm on 29 Dec. If I could do things my way, I would rent the car from airport and head out to Phillip Island and carry on from there the next day. But hubby likes to feel as if he has vacationed and not been on a treadmill of activity. So, I have booked stay in Melbourne till 1st and then head out to GOR. Stay overnight in Apollo Bay and return to melbourne the next day to fly out at 11 pm. Ran into a bunch of problems with this thought - none of the places accept less than 2 nights of stay at that time, and even these are not available... Any suggestions for 'operation salvage the GOR trip' greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Talked to family and got them around to my thinking! That is quite an achievement. Now just need to find accomodation for 29/12 on Phillip Island and 30/12 somewhere on the GOR. If we wanted to see all the sights - the kangaroos, Cape Otway etc. along the way, what would be a good place to stay on the GOR? We want to go as far as the Apostles and return to Melbourne the next day. Thank you.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM

Have you tried booking at the just standard motels at Apollo Bay. They would be less likely to have a 2 night restriction. Likewise, there are number of motels in Warrnambool. Are you going that far? It is the B&B's and guesthouses which will certainly want a 2 night minimum.

Another thought is try and find a place which is not actually on the GOR itself, so may be less restrictive. Forrest comes to mind. It is about half an hour from Apollo Bay. (Also close to Otway Fly if you were intending to do that). Here is a website with various accommodations offers. www.otwaysaccommodation.com.au I only just found this website by googling so have not used it personally, but it has quite a number of places listed and plenty of links to other accommodation on the GOR and hinterland.

I just had a look at the Sandpiper Motel in Apollo Bay. It is still showing Ocean View Rooms available for night of 2 January and allows a one night booking, but they look as though they are booking up fast. See www.sandpiper.net.au
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM

Minsin, posted my reply as you were doing yours so hadn't seen your second post.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you would be better off with original plan re the GOR. Traffic going down the GOR towards Lorne will be apalling, think traffic jams for miles and miles. There is a huge music festival held at Lorne every New Year's Eve and as someone who has a house down that way, I know not to travel on those days.

I had considered mentioning it in my previous post but thought that as you will be heading the opposite way to the traffic it wouldn't be too bad. They all leave Lorne on the 1st/2nd to come back to Melbourne.

If you want to stick to your new plans I would drive inland (through Colac) to the furtherest point you want to go to, probably Warrnambool and then do the drive the next day along the GOR which means you will be going against the traffic for the Festival.

Mind you, Phillip Island to Warrnambool is a long way. Are you taking the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff. It will cut out a lot of driving and is very pleasant. With a bit of luck you will even the dolphins in the bay. You can then head up to Geelong and take the inland route to where you want to stay. In fact, you don't want to be "doing" the GOR that day because it is just too much to fit in. Do it at your leisure the next day on your way to Melbourne.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Shandy, thanks for passing on so much information to me...Really appreciate it. We plan to leave Melbourne on 29/12 evening around 6 pm for Phillip Island, straight from the airport. Will that be horrible traffic-wise? Take the ferry the next morning, and drive till Apollo Bay - I just booked accomodation at Chris's Beacon Point for 30/12. One of those happy chances that I was hoping for! We turn back from the Apostles and make our way back to Melbourne on 31st via inland route. Will we hit the traffic? Thanks so much.
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:53 PM

Hello Minsin,

I am from Colac originally, and now live in the US so know the area you are referring to well.

The 'Apostles' are in the Port Campbell National Park, so the drive returning to Melbourne via the Princes Highway is a decent one. You will travel via Colac and Geelong, and from Geelong onwards you will be on Freeway to Melbourne. Depending on the time of day that you hit Geelong will determine how heavy the traffic will be. I suspect it will be very busy though as folks head into the City to celebrate New Years.

Your drive from Apollo Bay to Port Campbell is also a fairly long drive, then on top of that you are returning to Melbourne. I am not sure how many of you there are in your family group but it may be worth considering spending your arrival night in melbourne, then havinga custom tour planned that takes you to Philip Island, then along the Great Ocean Road and that will be sure of capturing all of the key sights and also alleviate some driving. Just so you are fully away, the Great Ocean Road is a challenging drive, one lane in each drection and you will share it with other drivers including large touring coaches. It si spectacular, but for a driver not familiar with the route, a long and challenging drive with so many beautiful views that will be harder for them to enjoy.

I hope this helps you in your planning. Say hi to Colac! [email protected]
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:11 AM

Minsin, Your plan is doable but you will get caught up in the traffic going to the Falls Festival.

It seems to me that in order to see the GOR you will need to be driving it on the way to Apollo Bay or you will miss a big hunk of it. Although everyone talks about the Apostles, I personally think the best part of the drive is from Anglesea to Apollo Bay. You are right on the water for that whole section. The real bottleneck in terms of traffic is Anglesea. There is only one small bridge over the river at Anglesea and I have seen traffic banked up to nearly the Torquay turn off at certain times.

If you want to give me your email address I will send you some driving directions on how to avoid some of the potential delays using the back roads. Can't do it just at the moment because would actually need to work out their names - I just simply know where to turn.

Well done on getting a booking at Chris' Beacon Point. It used to be one of "the" places to stay and eat a few years back and although I don't hear much about it nowdays it should still be fairly good.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies again... As I have now secured a booking at Chris' Beacon Point, I am going to stay with my plan. Given the timing, I don't think there is any way for us to avoid the traffic. Would be nice if we spend one more day on the GOR, but given our time constraints, I am happy to do whatever we can. Don't mind getting back to Melbourne really late. I used points to book Park Hyatt. Will there be traffic constraints around there on NYE?
Shandy, thanks for sharing tips on traffic. Email is [email protected]
If I can miss some of the traffic, that would be nice. Thanks...