Glowwarm Caves -- Te Anau

Jan 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Teemera

Glowwarm Caves -- Te Anau

Are these caves worth going to see on the way in or out of the fiordlands? Many thanks.

Jan 6th, 2003, 05:51 PM
Tangata

I think that they are worth seeing if you have not seen Waitomo. If you have, they are a bit of an anticlimax.

Jan 6th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Samantha

These glow worms... Are they really this amazing? I keep reading the descriptions on websites and in books, but it's so hard to get an idea from those! And the actual description of what causes it is rather nasty.

What I'd really like to know is, is it worth spending the money to see these things? The whole Waitomo deal seems a bit overpriced for what you're getting, though the 7-hour Lost World adventure looks incredible. And how touristy is all of this? I know they are down in caves, but as this is such a popular thing to do, do the crowds and tours and such ruin the effect?

Thanks!

Samantha

Jan 7th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Tangata

Waitomo can be an almost religious experience. Although it is fairly short the experience of drifting out of the cave on a boat is quite magical. Sure you will be with about 20 other people, but I have never found that intrusive, people behave better than in church! If you are lucky enough to have someone in your group why can sing the experience gets even better – that is before you get to the glow worms, noise turns them off.

As well as the glowworm cave there are two others at Waitomo, both worth a visit but not as magical.

Jan 9th, 2003, 06:09 PM
iacovino

Just got back yesterday from NZ. While we enjoyed the cave trip, it was not the very best thing we did. The whole trip takes 2 and 1/2 hours, including the RT boat ride from Te Anau which is 35 fairly uninteresting minutes each way. With a slide presentation at the beginning and some time for a complimentary tea or coffee at the end, your actual time in the caves is only about 45 minutes. That said, the time in the caves is quite magical. Just depends if you want to spend the time getting there and back. One other caveat...there is a point where you enter the cave that is only about a meter high and you must squat and sort of duck walk through. If you are highly claustrophobic, I would not recommend it.