Search

GBR from Cairns

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GBR from Cairns

OK, so we are planning to do the reef on April 20th.

I haven't booked hotel yet or anything else (other than air), so I am tryingt o figure out where is the best area to stay for a tour of the GBR. (We are also hoping to do Kuranda--so will need semi convenient access to the sky rail/train stations). Anyway---

I am also looking for suggestions on the tours of the reef---big and small groups and the advantages and disadvantages of both. I know the big groups offer a lot of extras like the semi submersible and all, but I am not sure we would even be interested in doing that.

Any thoughts or input would be great. You all are a wealth of knowledge.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:33 AM
aby

Hi brookeh424

Sorry to say those cruises to GBR (including the submersible !!) are not really exciting (compared to some decent reefs in other parts of the globe)

Kuranda is very very touristic

What i've enjoyed best is Cape Trib' & Daintree; with croc (& birds) search by boat, the jungle etc' ...

aby
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:59 AM
ALF

The advantages of big boats include a less bumpy ride out to the reef (important if you tend toward seasickness), a stable platform when you arrive (most dock at a fixed barge anchored near the reef), and more varied activities (helicopter, semi-submersible, underwater platform, snorkeling area). Of course, the major down-side is that you share the experience with over 100 others.

The advantages of a small boat are a more intimate experience, more attention from guides, and more versatility (in terms of where to anchor - although most go to the same places each time). On the other hand, the ride will be rougher (both on the way and while you are there), and there are fewer amenities and activities.

If you have a queasy stomach, or desire taking a heli or submersible ride, then the choice is clear for a big boat.

If you have a stronger 'constitution' and hate crowds, then the choice is clear for a small boat.

If you don't dive, I would recommend spending the extra money for an intro dive class. Most reef locations are relatively shallow (about 10m), so an intro dive will really let you see a lot.

As for Kuranda, there are shuttles from many places to the Skyrail and/or train stations, so you don't need to worry much about locating yourself relative to the stations.

Yes, Kuranda is touristy, but still a fun town to walk around. Most tourists don't get off at the two intermediate Skyrail stations - but there are some great walking trails that make the experience much more worth it.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Most tourists also don't realise that there's a lot more to Kuranda than the highly touristed village. There's some lovely rainforest walks and hikes out of village, ask for a free walking trail map from the Visitors Centre there - they'll also be able to tell you which tracks are open or not.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:27 PM

brookeh; due to heavy wet season rain earlier in February, landslides have closed the Kuranda train line. Latest news is that it won't be back into action for at least 2 months. Kuranda is still accessible by road and Skyrail.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pat for the undated information. I am hoping it will be up and running before we arrive in April, but I see that may not be the case.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Do you know how long the sky rail takes? I know it makes two stops before Kuranda, but I am just thinking about timing.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM

brookeh, allow about 90 minutes for Skyrail, this includes time for both stops. About 50 minutes without the stops.