from Mel airport how do I get to hotel?

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:37 AM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from Mel airport how do I get to hotel?

What is best/easiest way to get to Travelodge Southbank from airport via car? We pick up rental car at airport.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Go to their website. All the details are there. It's only 22km from Tullamarine airport. Can't take long.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 06:03 PM

When you collect your car make sure you organise for a Citylink Day Pass - you need this for the toll road into the city. Just ask the rental people. From the airport head into Melbourne on the Tullamarine Fwy. Stay on this until you've gone over the Bolte Bridge (two tall towers). You basically go to the end and head LEFT (not towards Geelong) - the exit says something like "Westgate Fwy / City". You're now on the Westgate Fwy. Take the last exit on your left before you enter the tunnel - it's the one after the Kings Way exit & I think it says Grant St/City. Go straight for about 100m (to the 2nd set of traffic lights) and turn right. This is City Rd and the Travelodge is about 100m up the road on your left - just over the next set of lights. It's very easy to get to from the airport.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:18 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at the Travelodge at Southbank and found out from reception you can get discounted car parking under the Sheraton Southgate (diagonally opposite). If you don't ask at the Travelodge first you will pay a higher rate. You might find parking elsewhere cheaper but parking in that area can be difficult, depending on time of day/ if a weekend etc.
Kay
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:47 AM
TAW
Original Poster

thanks for the info...I didn't even think about parking
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 02:09 AM

I'd attempt to take advantage of any bus services on offer from the airport. Try to avoid taxi services since they seem to charge the earth when you want to get into the city.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 07:48 AM

If you don't want to/forget to arrange to pay for the toll ahead of time, there's a phone number you can call afterwards & give them your credit card #. You have 24 hours to do this, I think.

You can also get to and from the airport without using the toll-road, but it's a bit longer -- especially during the day.

We stayed at the Travelodge Southbank in January and really liked it. Great location and brand new property. The staff were not the most helpful/knowledgable, but at least they were nice!

Have fun

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 01:32 PM

ooops! The exit you take from the Westaget Fwy is not Grant St/ city - its POWER ST/CITY. Went past it yesterday and realised my mistake. It was re-named and I forgot! The rest of the directions are correct.