Search

private guide auckland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
private guide auckland

Looking for a private guide in auckland for a day before sailing on princess. any suggestions? there are two couples traveling. we are interested in seeing places
that we couldnt see on our own.
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM

Hey, we booked a company called Milestone for one of their standard tours. We were real pleased with them so we booked them for a private excursion at the end of our vacation. I wrote them up on Trip Advisor we were so pleased. There website is at www.milestonetours.co.nz

I wouldn't book a private trip if you just want to see the city tho. Use the explore bus - its 30 bucks for an all day ticket
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM

Hello namest,

I think you have made a great choice to use a private guide, especially as you have limited time and some local knowledge is most certainly the way to go. The other point of note is that as you have 2 couples traveling it is really great value to pay a little bit of a premium, which will average out nicely across your group. I have used private guides for years in all parts of Australia and New Zealand. The choice of guide will depend on your groups interests, and even if it is just limited to seeing the City, using a guide ensures you don't miss any of those must sees that often times only the locals know about! It will also give you a chance to be flexible on pick up and drop off times and makes sure you will have a great dining option whether it be for lunch, dinner or both that day.

Go with a guide for sure - you will not be disappointed.

Safe travels, [email protected]
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM

I'm having difficulty thinking of anything in Auckland that you couldn't see under your own steam, based on a little prior research using a good guide book. I'd be happy to be corrected, though.

While this doesn't mean that her comments should be dismissed out of hand, it's as well to be aware that the previous poster (Lisa_SeeANZ) appears to work for a Chicago travel agency. This may or may not explain her unequivocal and enthusiastic endorsement of the private guide option.

"Go with a guide for sure - you will not be disappointed."
- How can you possibly know that for a certainty?
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Hello Neil_Oz,

Please review some of my other posts prior to dismissing what I suggest. I do not unequivocally encourage the use of private guides, and in fact, where feasible encourage folks to explore under their own steam, leave days open in their itinerary to explore at leisure and make their own discoveries. The reason I endorsed using a guide was because the question suggested that time was limited prior to departure on a cruise line. Additionally, if in fact the correct guide is matched with visitors to virtually any locale in the world, they should not be disappointed.

As an example, I think using a guide for managing a full day, and including areas such as Waiheke Island, is worthwhile. What appeals to you in a guidebook may not necessarily be the answer for other visitors.

Please also note that I do not work for a travel agency as you suggest, I am instead passionate about both Australia (where I am originally from) and New Zealand (where I have visited multiple times) and have chosen to share my experiences through various travel blog sites. I am actually a volunteer for an Australian/New Zealand ex pat group here in Chicago, and the email address is provided to me through that resource.

You will also note, that I did not name any guiding resources, just endorsed the value that using a guide can add.

With thanks, Lisa
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks, Lisa. I guess you can see why readers might conclude that you work for a company that advertises "custom travel to Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti and Fiji" (www.seeanz.com), given that your email address uses their domain name and thus must have been issued by them.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Yes, Neil. I note Fodor's pulled a few of Lisa's posts that contained that URL.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Hi I live in Auckland and have done nearly my whole life. It really depends how long you have to look around. Auckland is not that big. May i suggest you take in the Domain museum, art gallery in Parnell Rise, Catch a ferry over to Waiheke Island and do the Te Whau Vineyard winery tour and luncheon. my sister is a chef there. Shop your way down Queen Street, or maybe Newmarket will have something for you. Maybe i could show you around I hope you have a wonderful stay in our big little city.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM

livin_the_dream, what is the best way to get from ferry dock to Te Whau vineyard? thank you,
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Hi you can catch a cab/taxi for around $12.50 NZD, otherwise public buses for around 3.50 per person the stop is just outside Te Whau pronounced (Tear foul) less emphasis on the L of foul. i hope this helps