French Polynesia Accommodations

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Polynesia Accommodations

Greetings All!

My wife and I recently purchased Global Explorer around-the-world tickets. One of the stops we are making is in French Polynesia. We land in Papeete towards the end of November and have 4 nights in total. From what I understand, because our flight arrives in the evening, we must spend our first night in Papeete, which leaves us 3 nights on the islands. In looking around the net, we've found that Moorea seems to be the most cost effective - we can take a boat between Papeete and Moorea, rather than having to take a US$300 flight as we would with Bora Bora.

As expected, accommodations in French Polynesia are very expensive, but surely there are some bargains out there. What I'm finding is that the prices that we've been quoted for hotels alone are about the same as prices of air-inclusive accomodations from the US.

Does anyone know of any good land packages or hotel deals or even websites with competitive hotel prices that might help us out?

Thanks,
Sean
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:11 AM

Hi Sean

The best way to do it is to look at something like the Raddison in Pappette and getting the ferrry to Moorea, I have seen a lot of the propertys in Moorea and they are very very basic, What budget do you have? In moorea I would look at the Moorea Pearl Resort. Overall Tahiti is a very expensive destination and isnt a place to go on budget.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Yes, Tahiti is expensive but I really loved it. We had a fantastic time. We stayed at the Sheraton on Tahiti Island and took a day trip to Moorea. Next time I would definately find the money to stay at Moorea. But when we came back the local Polynesians just started singing on the ferry back. Stuff in French and English. The sun was setting, and this beautiful impromptu singing. It was just beautiful.

We flew Air Tahiti from Australia and that also was something else.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
ALF

Yes, FP is expensive, but there are some fairly reasonable mid-level accomodations on Moorea - they are pretty much all in the same location, in the NW corner of this heart-shaped island. Check out;
Les Tipaniers
Moorea Village
Hotel Hibiscus
Fare Vai Moana
Hotel Kaveka

In terms of booking websites, look at:

http://www.mooreaisland.com/tostay.html
http://www.tahiti-explorer.com/moorea.html
http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/islan...ea/lodging.asp

Al F.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:00 PM

If you can afford it, go to Bora Bora. It is nothing like Papeete or Moorea. once you think you've seen all that paradise has to offer - you arrive in Bora Bora and stay at Le Meridien and THEN you realize this is HEAVEN on earth!