Fox Glacier to Te Anau South Island How Long?

Mar 24th, 2005, 12:59 PM
KWP
Original Poster

Fox Glacier to Te Anau South Island How Long?

Is it possible to drive from Fox Glacier South Island to Te Anau in one day. How long is the drive? Is it on easy roads? Do you know the best route?
Mar 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Franz Josef to Te Anau is 560 km - about 7 hours. Fox is 25 km from Franz, so you can deduct 25 km from this figure.

I got these driving distances from this website, which I've found to be pretty accurate:

http://www.accommodationz.co.nz/distances2.html

You can take SH6 most of the way, then pick up 94 towards Te Anau. The turn will be well marked and the roads should be no problem.
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Yes, it is possible to do in a day, even with stops, although it's a long one. Wanaka is possibly a better choice.
Mar 25th, 2005, 09:33 PM
mjs

This is a long drive for one day but possible if you start early and only make short stops. The problem with this approach however is to note that this drive, if in nice weather, is very beautiful and not one I would prefer to hurry through. I should also note that the roads are good unless you will be driving in the winter. The road towards Te Anau can be quite icy with a a fair amount of snow.
Mar 25th, 2005, 11:49 PM

define easy road? two lanes most of the way except on one way bridges (can't remember exactly if there are any on this road). Windy.

It is a good road to a NZder. To overseas people used to dual carriageways it is a small windy road.
Mar 26th, 2005, 12:53 PM

hi, KWP,
We did this trip in reverse a couple of years ago, and it was not too horrendous. We allowed 12 hours for driving, stopping to admire the scenery (which we have seen many times being NZers!) and regular coffee breaks. We have also travelled from Greymouth to Dunedin and reverse in that time-frame but would not recommend it.
The roads do wind around and up into the hills / mountains but it is certainly well-worthwhile. The leaves and trees should be just unfurling their beautiful new green leaves, making it a most spectacular journey.
Enjoy it.
Dot.
Mar 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
amythewang

I'll second the previous poster's suggestion of stopping overnight in Wanaka. It's a nice enough town, some good eats, not too touristy-crowded yet (but getting there), and it will take the worries off your mind with regard to making your deadline of getting the travel done in a day.

summary: I would NOT recommend doing it in one heave. It's totally possible, but would suck all the fun out of the journey.

Mar 30th, 2005, 10:20 AM
KWP
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. They are so helpful.