Flying with Jetstar - Tips & Tricks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll shortly be flying with Jetstar, Melb to Darwin, as Qantas have changed all direct flights to Jetstar (so much for choice!). Am interested in any tips & tricks others may have when flying with Jetstar (apart from the obvious one of checking-in at least 30 mins earlier than the scheduled flight). Any information will be helpful! Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:40 AM

I have heard they are now doing deat allocations. Good luck -I don't see too many good stories - my brother got stuck in the Harbour Tunnel for 90 minutes and then missed his flight - Jetstar would do nothing, other friends of ours came back from Darwin last week and there flight into Adelaide was late which meant they missed another connection to Melbourne - Jetstar would not even pay their overnight accomodation. One of my work colleagues came back from Cairns over weekend, flight was cancelled and then they were all put onto another flight which then was 3 hours late and then they flew into Avalon instead of Tulla and then bussed back - they had 2 toddlers with them - got back to Tulla around 1am. Good luck
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:41 AM

I meant seat allocations not deat...sorry did not have glasses on
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:07 AM

Make sure your luggage is under the weight limitation. I believe they charge dearly. Two people traveling together can weigh their luggage together and avoid the charge if they come in under the weight limitation x 2.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Don't even start me on Jetstar. After my experience traveling with 2 children early morning flight adn change of itiniery I will never set foot on one of their flights again - even if it were free !!!!! Beware the change of flight times - they have no understanding or flexibility . Hope you have a better experience than I did. I actually had to join a queue to complain to their so called passenger service person.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:00 PM

I recently flew Jetstar from Adelaide to Cairns and was underwhelmed. They offered NO food on the flight unless you paid for it, so either eat before you board or bring something aboard with you. They also tagged our luggage as "heavy" when none of the eight other flights we took with Qantas did, so be cognizant of your luggage weight.

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:00 PM

It is a low cost airline so they don't offer free food on the flight. Only Qantas does that in Australia.

I've flown with Jetstar a couple of times and they have been hassle free. But a few months ago one of their flights was cancelled in Sydney. The airport terminal was then closed. Hundreds of passengers were left stranded and slept outside the building because Jetstar wouldn't put them up. Their argument was that they are a budget airline and people take the risks of that sort of thing happening when they fly with Jetsar.

It was a huge PR disaster for Jetstar.

I'm flying with them again soon. Hope I don't encounter any problems like some of you.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM

PS - you can now choose your own seat on the plane when you book tickets online.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Jetstar IS a budget airline so therefore is no frills, nothing! You can buy food/drink on board at a price but as most of their flights are not too long (within Australia) we just go without or have something to eat/drink before or after our flight, Or take a health/choc bar & a soft drink if necessary. N.B. You can't take your own alcohol on board.
Weight limit is 20kgs per pass. the same as Qantas Economy class. Other budget airlines within Australia only allow 15kg/pass and charge $20 if you're overweight. Hand luggage is limited to 7kg and must be a small size. Seats are allocated.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:18 AM

We flew Jetstar a few weeks ago from Brisbane to Hamilton Island and then Hamilton Island to Sydney. I was petrified to use them b/c of all the reports I have read. I am pleased to say that there were no major problems at all...one flight was slightly delayed (20 minutes), and my seat selection that I did on line (and paid extra for the priveledge)did not materialize when we checked in and we did not get the seats we prefer (aisle and towards the front). In the grand scheme of things that could go wrong with this airline, I'm not complaining.

Regarding luggage check in, I found it interesting that our family never checks luggage...carry on only. No problem with Air Canada going to Australia, but Jetstar made us check our 'carry on' as we were too heavy (nothing to do with dimensions of case).

Bring your own food...cost of that horrid wrap and so called sandwiches are around the 10 dollar mark and they are truely terrible. Also have to pay for ear phones for the entertainment (2 dollars, I believe).

Aircraft was very clean and staff were all friendly. They let us jump the line of about 50 people to get our boarding pass when we ran into the terminal with minutes to spare to make our flight (due to confusion getting from international to domestic...read my trip report if interested in that fun).