Search

First Time To Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 02:58 PM
Carol

First Time To Japan

<BR>I'm planning on going to Japan for 2 weeks in November (and/or December). I'm flying from Houston to Osaka. If I fly Continental (I'm a One-Pass member) I'll have to spend a night in Guam. Is there a better/cheaper way to go? I'll be meeting a penpal I've had for 20 years for the first time and staying in her home. What cultural customs should I be aware of the most? I'm a little nervous, and I don't want to offend anyone with my American ways. I plan on getting a Japan RailPass before I leave. Where would be a good/economical place to stay if we go to Tokyo for a few days? What sights should I be sure not to miss? Can I use my blow dryer there without an adapter? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 11:03 AM
Cindy

I went to Japan last April. The Japanese currency is dropping, so I felt it wasn't that expensive. I highly recommend you visit Kyoto. If you're going to stay with your penpal, I think she'll help you for most of things. Japanese people are very polite. Try to learn some Japanese words(i.e. "How much is it?", "Please write it on the paper", "Receipt please"...etc.) and how to read numbers in Chinese character. If you go to restaurant, you'll find most of the prices are written in Chinese Character rather than in Arabic numebr. If you can read more Chinese Chracters beyond numbers, it'll be really helpful to travel Japan even though you don't know Japanese. Other than language barrier, I don't see much trouble of travelling Japan. As long as you're a foreigner, I think they'll understand even if you make a mistake. Just don't forget to take off your shoes before you get in house. "Polite behaviour" is accepted everywhere, I believe. <BR>I didn't go to Tokyo, so I can't help you about this one. Their electricity is 100V. I brought my 110V hair dryer and used it without any converter. I felt it was a little weaker, though. <BR>If you're planning a cheap trip, try to have meals in convenience stores. They sell various foods only at $4-$8 including "real" sushi sets. They have hot water for instant noodle, microwave to heat up foods. They call microwave "ren-gee". More excellent thing is that if you go to big supermarkets at late evening, the foods prices keep dropping every 15 or 20 minutes because they have to sell them out before they close the store. <BR>IF you have to take a bus a lot in a day, buy a daily bus pass and be careful not to bend it. <BR>I guarantee you'll love the trip to Japan.

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 08:48 PM
Michael

If you are polite and show respect you will have no problems in Japan - you will find the Japanese will be very willing to help you and are probably the most respectful people on earth. If you are not deliberately offensive then you will not offend them. Yes you can use your hairdryer in Tokyo, suggest you research hotel prices and then try and negotiate direct or pick up a cheap price through your airline (package). Tokyo can be expensive but it is nowhere near as expensive as everyone would like you to believe. You will love Japan.

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 01:22 PM
Gil Asakawa

Hi Carol, here are several Web sites you should visit befrore you go, they all have helpful information. One, the "Japan, My Japan" site is extensive, so take your time clicking around.... <BR> <BR>http://www.ntt.co.jp/japan/index.html -- this is by NTT, Japan's version of AT&T, and includes helpful tourism and basic cultural info. <BR> <BR>Here's a site for traveler's Japanese phrases (with sound files): http://www.ntt.co.jp/japan/japanese/ <BR> <BR>You should also visit the Japan National Tourism Office (JNTO) at http://www.jnto.go.jp/12jntowho/12frame.html <BR> <BR>"Japan, My Japan" is as extensive a Wen resource on Japn as I've seen: http://lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~matsuoka/Japan.html <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR> <BR>Gil

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 05:34 PM
Tomomi

Hi Carol... Here is tel# of Japanese travel agencies in USA. We Japanese don't consider getting cheaper tickets from anyone else! <BR> <BR>This fall, you can get as low as $599 round trip from ny or Boston... <BR> <BR>They are: IACE TRAVEL: 800-526-4223 <BR> AMNET: 800-401-9650 <BR> (there are more..but they are all the same) <BR> Also, if you are in LA, there is a place called "EZ TRAVEL", and I heard they have the cheapest tickets. They answer in Japanese, but they speak English so you have no problem. <BR> <BR>Have fun!!!!!!

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 02:07 AM
Seigan

Dear Carol, Just got back yesterday from Japan. Still jet lagged out. I've been living in Japan for four years now. You are going to love it. As some folks have already said, if you speak even a little basic Japanese you will go a long way. The Japanese people are extremely polite and they do not really expect westerners to know all their customs. (They are shocked to see gaijin who can use chopsticks!) Be as humble and unassuming as possible.Remember to be ready to take your shoes off when entering homes and restaraunts. If you have an empty glass, that signals that you would like more to drink especially alcohol! Kyoto is a must, with temples galour. Also Himeiji Castle in Himeiji(near Kobe)and Takayama an old town in the Japanese alps. When I visited Tokyo I stayed at a capsule hotel (a coffin spaced sleeping container), cheap and OK for me but not for the weak hearted!. I'm sure you can find cheap hotels and ryokans, it's not difficult. Fodor's Japan guide helped me alot. <BR>Anyway, getting too tired to write further. Gombatte Kudasai ne, Good Luck.

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Cheryl Z

<BR>Carol - we went to Japan for our first time last year. Bring your hostess some little gifts, maybe also something for her family, as they will surely give you things! Our hosts and friends were so hospitible, and giving. I'd been told not to wrap my gifts in white though (don't remember exactly why - bad association or something.) <BR>We stayed in a Western hotel and didn't have to use an adapter. If you are staying at your friends home though, you possibly might need adapters or converters. She should be able to tell you. <BR>Be prepared for unusual toilets! In some places, they're like in Italy, just porcelain "holes" on the floor. In our Western hotel, our rooms were normal but the hotel lobby toilets were the holes. (can't think of a better word, sorry!) We had an interpreter with us arranged by our friends, which was really great. We are used to traveling all over Europe and always being able to figure out the language, or find someone who speaks little English even in remote places. Not so over there. We were mainly in Kyoto <BR>and in the little town we were in, I did not even go wandering around by myself which I usually do, because I knew I'd never figure out the street names! Even at the airports, it can be difficult. We had some confusion at the Kyoto airport, and then almost got lost at the Tokyo airport. We got off the first flight to make our connection in Tokyo, following the ONLY English sign saying "International Departures", but it was wrong terminal, had to go back to the OTHER International section. But you should be ok since you're with a friend. Yes, it's kinda expensive, but then so are so many other places too, so don't worry about it. I'd go back again (my husband wouldn't probably!) I had many pleasant and surprising experiences - like I didn't expect them to have good coffee! It was great, (and of course I loved the green tea too.) You'll have a wonderful time, and how terrific it is that you get to meet such a longtime penpal.

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 02:22 PM
JW

Definitely get a Japan Rail Pass if you're going to take the bullet train -- it's the best deal in Japan! <BR> <BR>There's a royal palace in Kyoto that offers free tours to foreign tourists, but, strangely enough, is not open to regular Japanese citizens. The tour itself is rather bland, and more interesting art and buildings can be seen at temples, but your pen pal might appreciate the chance to see it. My Japanese friend's aunt (who we were staying with) was able to enter with us by saying she was our group interpreter.

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 02:29 PM
Denise

Carol, I recommend a book called CULTURE SHOCK; JAPAN. It's interesting and easy to read; full of information on everything from gift giving to squat toilets. I'm active in a Japanese sister-cities relationship and loan this book out to anyone I know travelling to Japan. They love it! I spend 3-4 weeks there 2 years ago and can't wait to go back. The people are incredibly gracious. Just be polite and you'll have no problems. I HIGHLY recommend you visit Kyoto. I normally try to stay out of cities and prefer small villages, but Kyoto is an exception! Stay in traditional Japanese Inns (called Ryokins I think). I also spend a few nights in a temple (under "temple-lodging" in the Lonely Planet guide) and really enjoyed it. Have fun! <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 1998, 02:54 PM
sharon

Carol - the previous posters have given you lots of good info. Here are some specifics that I use when I take Senior Executives of my company to Japan, which might be useful for your home visit. <BR>Wear nice socks/hosiery because you will have be in your "stockings" in most private homes. Japanese aren't used to hugging. They don't mind if they know you, and you signal by body language (arms held wide, slow approach) that you are planning to hug them. If you catch them by surprise, they will wince or blush. Its considered impolite to put one's feet on furniture, even in public places. I sometimes see American businessmen with their feet up on low tables in hotel lobbies, which is a real social faux paux. Conversely, the Japanese may ask you your age, martial status and other surprisingly personal questions, especially if they are older than you are. Bath etiquette - as the guest, you will be allowed to bathe first. Soap up outside the tub, on the tiled area and rinse. Then, when you are clean, lower your body into the soaking tub. When you exit the tub, skim the top for hair or other debris, leaving it clean for the next bather.