First Time In Oz......Need Help!!!!

Oct 13th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

First Time In Oz......Need Help!!!!

I am planning a 2 1/2 week trip to Australia & New Zealand in September, 2004, for myself and 2-3 of my friends. Is that possible? Is that a good time to go? We are on a budget.
We want to see everything that we can, but since we have limited time and limited funds, we plan on staying on the eastern coast. Any ideas for itineraries or must do's would be greatly appreciated. We have to see Sydney, The Great Barrier Reef and The Great Ocean Road. As for New Zealand, we are probably going to limit ourselves to the North Island. What are must sees and do's there? Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 13th, 2003, 06:42 PM

No offense to the North Island of NZ, but personally I enjoyed the South Island much more. If you are adventurous go to Queenstown and do some of the great activities. You can go hanggliding, skydiving, heliskiing, heaps of stuff to do. From Qtown you can also take a trip to Milford or Doubtful Sound, a not miss activity. I also really enjoyed Lake Wanaka, Lake Tekapo, Marlborough Wine Country, and Wellington (NI, can take a ferry from the SI). The NI is lovely but more quiet.
Oct 14th, 2003, 04:40 AM

Hi, we're leaving for Oz in ten days and will be there for 2 1/2 weeks. Our itinerary includes Melbourne (2 nights), GOR to Adelaide (6 nights)including the Barossa Valley, Palm Cove (n. of Cairns 3 nights), Dunk Island (3 nights) and Sydney (4 nights). Other than the GOR which we are driving, we are flying between destinations. I will do a trip report when we return and can let you know how things went. Decide how much time you want to spend in each place, how to travel within Oz (bus/plane?) and go from there. We changed our itin. about six times!
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:12 AM

I think you are trying to do too much in too short a time. You would really need at least a week for New Zealand alone, and as for OZ, it is a LONG way between Great Ocean Road, Sydney, and Great Barrier Reef. My advice would be for you to focus on one or the other and, being from Oz (no offence to NZ), I would advise you set your sights on Oz. There is a LOT to see and experience on here and your time will absolutely fly!
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Janese

Stick with flying into Sydney - stay for a few days and then get yourselves to the GBR. Perhaps it would be possible to stopover for a couple of days in NZ en route but you won't be able to do the GOR or NZ in that time - leave NZ for another visit. The GOR is not 'that' interesting that you would want to take the time AND expense from your very short holiday. It is only a "must do" if you have a much longer time frame.

Oct 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM
LN

Like anything else, you can probably do all this in 2 1/2 weeks but you will be in a bit of a hurry.

Melburne is a beautiful city with much to see and do. If I could suggest anything it would be to consider taking a helicopter flight out to the Twelve Apostles and you can do that in 1/2 day. It's great and much shorter than taking a whole day driving out and back on the GOR.

Yes, you need to see Sydney and the Barrier Reef - can't miss them at all!! You'll love it.

One change I'd consider but you should research it well. There's just so much more spectacular scenery on the South island of New Zealand. Mt. Cook, Queenstown, the glaciers. The south has a lot to offer.

But above all have a wonderful time!!
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:30 PM

I agree with the others about skipping the Great Ocean Road. Yes, it's wonderful, but it's just too much to do on your first trip.
I loved the north Island of NZ. We spent 2 days in Auckland - not a great city, you could skip it - but then spent a few days in Rotorua which was very interesting and also visited Napier, a city that's all Art Deco.
I would not skip a visit to Melbourne. You can probably tag it onto your initial plane fare at no additional cost. I like it as much as, maybe even more than, Sydney.
For your Great Barrier Reef excusion, you might consider driving north of Cairns to the Daintree Forest (an easy 1.5 hour leisurely drive) and staying in one of the eco-resorts right in the rainforest and not far from the beach town of Port Douglas. Most of the resorts also have airport pick-up if you don't want to drive it.