Final leg of trip: SI to NI

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our 5+ week trip to Australia and NZ (mid October to late November) I've been getting to specific planning in stages. Would love to get feedback if I am doing something that won't work here. I've selected these spots because of our interests, even though it might not be the typical first trip
1)From Arthur's Pass, drive to Kaikoura (4 hours). Albatross Encounter early next morning.
2) drive to Blenheim, stay 2 nights for winery tours
3) ferry to Wellington at 9am. Drive about 3 hours (Rangitikei district maybe.) to spend night. We don't want to drive the entire way and want to limit how much we deviate from the most efficient route.
4) drive to Rotorua, 3 nights there
5) fly back to US, 5pm flight from Auckland

Thanks, this has been fun planning and I know the trip will be great!
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It'd be helpful if you posted your entire itinerary.

Are you really only spending three nights on the South Island? Please say no.
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

OK, here's the entire itinerary - - much of it firm because of flight reservations in Australia.
Arrive Darwin; 4 nights Top End (includes Litchfield NP and Mary River)
Fly to Cairns, 3 nights Daintree area (GRB trip from here); 2 nights Tablelands
Fly to Launceston: 9 nights Tasmania
Fly to Syndey: 4 nights
Fly to Queenstown: 4 nights Glenorchy, 2 nights Lake Moeraki, 1 night Hokitika, 2 nights Arthurs Pass
FINAL LEG: as above, 1 night Kaikoura (Albatross), 2 nights Blenheim (wineries), 1 night between Wellington and Rotorua (b/c we don't want to drive 5+ hours), 3 nights Rotorua
Back to US from Auckland, 5pm flight

So you see, this is not a standard itinerary: no hiking, more about nature and scenery than adventure sports and hiking. But it does include 12 nights on the SI.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:04 AM

That helps thanks - it's much easier to make suggestions when one can see the big picture.

Curious though, how do you plan to spend four nights in Glenorchy if you don't walk/hike? I adore Glenorchy, I really do, it's my favorite place on the SI, we go there often for 4-5 nights at a time for its fabulous tracks and gobsmacking scenery. Once you've soaked up the scenery, and perhaps taken the Dart River Safari, there's just not much to do though, unless you're content to curl up with a good book and look at the mountains from your patio, which I totally get.

Are you perhaps planning to use it as a base from which to explore the Queenstown area? This is certainly an option, but the 45 minute incredibly squiggly drive along the lake between Glenorchy and QT might prove to be a detriment. It is for us anyway.

Do keep in mind that eating options in Glenorchy are very limited (a café and two pubs, not all open when you need them), so it's a good idea to take food with you and do some self-catering unless your food is supplied by your accommodation. Are you by chance staying at Vladka's place?
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are staying there. We were planning to drive to Glenorchy for a day trip anyway when I was thinking about Wanaka. We will have 3 full days: one will be to Milford Sound for sure. The other two, probably a kayak trip, Dart River safari, some short walks - - I thought that could fill 3 days. Vladka also wrote that a new gourmet food store has opened up so we will have a cooking option for one or two nights. And honestly, just staring at the scenery when we are not being active is something I think we'll need halfway through this trip. We do like to walk - - but we are not up for hiking. We went to Borneo last summer and hiked through the rainforest and agreed that it was probably the last of our hiking.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:52 AM

Sounds like a good plan, although Glenorchy to Milford will be a very long day. Are you driving to Milford?

There are some beautiful walking tracks around Glenorchy - the Routeburn Track to the first hut and return is a great way to spend several hours - it's an easy, well graded section of the track - not difficult at all. Do take your sandfly repellant though.

There's also an easy boardwalk stroll right in Glenorchy with expansive mountain views.

Vladka's husband works for the DOC and they're both a great resource for what to do in the area. You'll love it there. Tell them Bill and Mel said hello.

FYI - when we were last at Vladka's, there was no cook top in the unit (attached to her house - I know they are planning to build more units and these may be better equipped, but not sure if this has been done yet). It had a microwave and access to a pretty miserable little BBQ - you might want to verify what's there in advance.
Old May 19th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

We're going to do a fly/cruise/fly to Milford. We want to minimize the driving in this segment, that's one of the reasons I want to stay put. Thanks for the info about the cooking facilities, I will verify.

Any reaction to the original Q in the post ?
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Is there a reason you don't want to spend time in Wellington? We thought it was a lovely little city.

Lee Ann
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Regarding your original question, I was going to suggest Martinborough, but it's only about an hour's drive from Wellington and may not be on your route anyway.