Search

Final Countdown to the Cooks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Countdown to the Cooks

Hi there,
I'm from Portugal (Europe). I will travel to the Cooks and USA from August 2 till August 27. It will be a long trip. I will commemorate my PhD. We are a family of 4. Our children have 10 and 6 y old. We payd 12000 euros for the entire trip. We will cover Rarotonga (Rarotongan resort), Aitutaki ( Pacific resort and Pearl Beach resort), Moorea (Sheraton resort), Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, and Phoenix.
We have travelled a lot before. Namely to Thailand, Malaysia, Maldives, Sri Lanka, India, Vietnam, Fiji, French Polynesia, Dominican Republic,Kenya, Tanzania and Indonesia. We love tropical places. We are like LordBalfor I think. If anyone would like to receive pictures and information from all those places I have a load of it. The South Pacific is unique. It has nothing to do with the Caribean. But to feel that one needs to go there first. South east asia and africa are not to be missed too.
Take care.

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Yeah, but you've been a lot more places than me.

Photos and/or recommendations for places to stay in Fiji would be appreciated. Not heading there anytime soon, but it's on our list.

[email protected]

Ken

PS: Where did you stay in the Maldives?
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM

I haven't had access to a scanner that would do this quickly and easily before, but I do now. I will see if I can try to get some pictures together and put them up on a web site somewhere. I have a couple of years worth of SP pictures - the most from Fiji and Suva, but also Samoa, Cooks, Tonga, Niue, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and Solomons. A lot of B&W though because I developed most as a hobby.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Sneezy,
I would LOVE to see them, You might consider placing them on Webshots. It gets a lot of exposure. The "Community" (Webshots members) region has 37,666,918 photos posted (107,788 new in the last 24 hours)*. My shots alone have been viewed 1,244,817 times and downloaded (into the Webshots screensaver) 134,161 times as of today. Lots of exposure.

Ken

* Official Webshots statistics
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:52 PM

cytrav2000 - WoW! You & your family will have a wonderful time! That is so nice that you are traveling with your family. When my husband and I have kids, we plan to introduce them to world travel early on, too. So, they can truly appreciate the world we live in. These are the memories your children will remember as adults! Have a great time! I look forward to seeing your trip report when you get back. We head to the Cook Islands (only) in December. We will also stay at Pacific Resort Aitutaki - so any recommendations on bungalow numbers would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Just to answer to LordBalfor, I refer the places where we have been. We were in Malolailai Island, and Jean Michel Costeau Resort (Vanua Levu-Savusavu). The islands of Fiji are pretty much different from the ones in Polynesia. The same for the traditions. After all it is Melanesia. Avoid the island of Viti Levu (the main island).
I would like to advise LordBalfor that the Seychelles are not so appealing as it appears. The snorkling is poor, and most of the beaches are full of rocks. The Maldives are far more impressive.
We stayed at Byiadoo Island in the Maldives. Very nice Island and resort. But now I would advise the island which has a Hilton. The transfer is by Hydroplane. The Maldives airport is stunning. You should see the pictures. The Seychelles worth only for La Digue and the very exclusive and expensive islands. I would stay away from there. Another excelent option is to do a safari in Tanzania and stay in the Island of Zanzibar, which is one of the most exotic islands that I ve ever been. Very nice tropical beaches with cristal clear waters and borded by lots of coconut trees.
Thank you very much SimoneSassett for your support. I will give you important information when I return. I'm planning to show some of my photos in some webpage soon.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:40 PM
sandi

Simone -

Oh how wonderful if young children would remember travel with their parents - but we've found that those younger than 5-yrs, rarely, if ever have a memory by the time they reach their teens or twenties where they had been.

My closest friend took her child from the time he was an infant and on a few occasions I was with them. But when we ask him if he remembers his time in "such-'n- such" country, he just stared at us. When we show him the photos, he looks at them, certainly recognizes us in the photos, but he has no recall.

But for those trips he does remember, from about age 6 on, he remembers well. So I guess something must have taken hold, deep down in ones memories, because nowadays he has such wanderlust he books her trips for her these days.

Recall when he was 16 he walked around the weeks with the Paris & London guidebooks under his arm "mom, I've just got to see Paris & London, before I die - I just must". She got so tired listening to him, she finally said "Paris & London have been there forever, you've got time, but if you insist, then get yourself online and book a trip for us" He did, they went. And she had more fun with him than when traveling with her husband; she was able to see these two cities (each of which she had been to too many times to count) but thru his eyes.

Where she would hail a taxi, he wanted to go on the underground or metro; where she wanted to shop Harrodd's or coutour houses, he wanted something specifically young and French or English. She went and it was great.

Amazing how a child (regardless their age) can open our eyes a second time. Now, that was something.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Hi Cytrav2000,

What an exciting trip you have planned. I'm from USA and headed to Cook islands in just 13 days myself! My husband & I will be in Raro for 4 nights at Reflections and 4 nights Pacific Resort in Aitutaki, we can't wait! We may just be there at the same time!

I would love to see your pictures and hear about your trips particularly on Fiji, Maldives and Zanzibar. I'm already planning for my trip next year and need to find another amazing place to check out in this beautiful world of ours. So, let me know where you post your pictures and trip reports.

Thanks!

Cookbound..........13 more days and counting!