Search

Fiji Coup

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 04:43 PM
Prue

Fiji Coup

This is just to advise that the Australian Government today has once again warned Australians not to travel to Fiji since the violence and upheavals appear to be on the rise.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 11:04 AM
IslandAnne

I've been watching closely, as I should be in Fiji now, but decided to cancel. I'm glad I did cancel, as I've read there has been an acceleration in violence and it is spreading to other islands, and to the western part of the main island, where Nadi Airport is located. What a tragedy! I hope it is over soon, but looks like it may take awhile before things return to normal in Fiji.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Peggy

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2000...nrest_143.html <BR>Check this for latest news on Turtle Island hostage situation. Follow on article says it may be an action specifically questioning the ownership of this particular island but it makes the possiblity of facing problems in Fiji much more real.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:22 AM
paul

Just returned from Taveuni Island resort and had a most incredible time. It is very unfortunate tourism is down 80%. One would never know a coup was going on. Flights all flew and the Fiji experience was wonderful. We spent a day in Nadi and was a bit erie due to very few tourists and a few roadblocks. Besides that all was great. Flew from JFK, NY.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Tracey

Paul, <BR> <BR>Thanks for your response. I plan on going to Fiji for my honeymoon in September and have been watching the news a lot. I heard that they took over some resorts. I just hope that all of this settles down by then.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 08:39 PM
Stephanie

Yes, some Turtle Island guests had to cut their stay short, but it was due to a land dispute that existed long before the coup. It was not a violent hostage situation - the land owners showed up, wanted to discuss business with the resort mgmt, and the guests were asked to leave on a cruise ship. I actually talked to a couple who stayed at Turtle Island last week and went on for several minutes about how wonderful their stay was. It seems that things are back to normal there. We visited several resorts in the Mamanuca chain and you would never know of the coup related events. You are completely sheltered out in the west and to be honest, once I reached Fiji, I was never once worried about my safety. It really is too bad that people have been scared off by the events in Suva and the government travel advisories. I personally, wouldn't travel to Suva right now, but I felt completely safe in the West and I was unable to find a traveler in my 2 week journey that would disagree with me. (I would feel more safe traveling to Fiji any day than to some cities in the US!) I contacted the US embassy before I left and they themselves said that the west was quiet. I considered cancelling my trip up until a week beforehand, but am so glad that I decided not to.

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 01:47 PM
Else

It is too bad people have cancelled trips to Fiji based on outdated information about the civil unrest in the country. We have been to Fiji 9 out of the last 10 years and returned from 9 days at our favorite spot - Qamea Beach Resort - on August 3. During our stay in country, a new government was sworn in. Not democratically elected but supported by the army and regional chiefs and functioning. Land disputes generally amicably settled. Coup plotters detained and currently being charged with treason. We flew Air New Zealand from LA to Nadi. Overnight at Nadi and then Sunflower air to Taveuni with a stop at Savusavu. The only evidence we saw of any "unrest" civil or otherwise was soldiers guarding international airport. We had our usual wonderful time. Fijians are simple and friendly folks who genuinely LIKE old people (we are 79 and 84). Would we go again? We plan to - next year. While there are no guarantees in life we feel we are in far greater danger from red-light runners and drive-by shooters in our home town. Now is the perfect time to visit Fiji. Planes are flying half full and resorts are hurting and offering incentives.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:32 AM
David Stanley

I'm the author of Fiji Handbook and was in Fiji recently to update my book. To hear my take the safety issue in Fiji, visit http://www.southpacific.org/faq/fiji.html

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Tracy

David, <BR> <BR>When is the new update for your book coming out? We are going to Fiji in June and I'm wondering if the new edition will be out before then. Thanks, your book and website are very helpful. <BR> <BR>Tracy <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Louis

I feel that there is little risk for tourists in Fiji and it is a good time to go since many places are offering special rates. Run a web search on Fiji Travel Warnings and also check http://www.fijilive.net for current news. There is an appeals court hearing going on during the next 2 weeks that could breed a little unrest but not against tourists. Also, the added poverty resulting from the impact of the attempted coup has increased the risk of petty theft. There is no current advise from Australia not to travel to Fiji but they do review the current situation and the actions in the court of appeals. Everybody should use there own judgement on where and when to travel but they should get up-to-date information from reliable sources first.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 03:58 PM
xxx

I'ms sure David's book is good, but I think his promotion of it and his website, which arguably competes with Fodors, is a little tacky on these forums, and probably violates Fodors' rules against advertising. David, why not just comment on the posts and use other channels for marketing?

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 07:04 PM
David Stanley

I've never seen a Fodors guide to the South Pacific. Does one exist? The 6th edition of Fiji Handbook won't be out until August, Tracy. Meanwhile, most places covered in the 5th edition are open, except for the Sheraton Royal.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 06:40 AM
xxx

As a matter of fact, Fodors does promote a line of tours for the Pacific, look in the "adventure" section of this website. But why not answer the question, David...why don't you promote your own business on your own nickel?

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 07:34 AM
David Stanley

I just checked Amazon and they don't have anything about the South Pacific from Fodors. Oh yes, xxx, you're right, there are a number of package tours to Fiji accessible from the area you mention. I'm not in the package tour business.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 08:20 AM
xxx

David, I think this thread needs to be brought to Fodors attention, which I will now do. The forum rules specifically state that advertising is not permitted.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 02:53 PM
Diane

I feel very fortunate that David is a contributor to this forum. How lucky we are to have someone as knowledgeable as him participating. I have never seen David blatantly advertise his book and it is probably my mention of his book that it was mentioned at all. Why do feel it necessary to hide behind a phoney email address? It's easy to criticize when no one knows who you are. I don't want to get into any kind of a flame war with you...this is the only and last comment I will make. <BR>Diane Hutchison

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 06:33 PM
Louis

To put this all to bed, I think you all know that anything that is published in a travel book is hopelessly out of day by the time you get it particularly where local conditions are in a state of flux as in Fiji. So, save your money and use the web sites that deal with current conditions daily. Also nobody that spends a few days in fiji or even a few months in Fiji can understand the scope of problems that are under way there currently. I still feel that it is a safe and very desirable tourist destination and their economy needs you desperately.

Old Feb 21st, 2001, 09:22 PM
Tracy

I agree with Diane, I did not interpret David's message as "promoting his book", rather, he was qualifying himself as someone who is knowledgeable about Fiji in order to offer his opinion on the situation. I jumped on the opportunity to ask him when the next edition is coming out, because I was already planning on purchasing the book. <BR> <BR>Louis, I disagree that travel guides are useless and out of date. I always expect that a few things will be out of date, restaurants closed down, etc. However, I buy travel guides to know where there are nice beaches, hiking trails, surf breaks etc. - that doesn't change. I also like to get opinions on resorts that are less biased than the travel agency ads all over the web. I have been to most of the Fiji websites and find that the travel guides tend to offer more in-depth information. Plus, it's just nice to have a book while you're traveling (when you won't be using the web). I still plan to use the web to stay updated on the political and economic conditions. <BR> <BR>Tracy <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 05:06 AM
David Stanley

I promised myself I wouldn't post here again after reading xxx's remarks, but I think Diane, Louis, and Tracy have "put this to bed" (as Louis said). Anyway, I'd like to let you all know about a fascinating Fiji website www.radiofiji.org where you can listen to the latest news from Fiji in Real Audio. Just click the Bula 100 FM icon in the upper left corner, scroll down, and click "Listen to Bula 100 news". It's pure nostalgia for anyone who has already been in Fiji, and brings you right up to date on the current court case which will decide on the legality of the "coup". Have fun.