FARM STAYS - SOUTH ISLAND

Nov 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM
KATHERINEMAEPARDEE

FARM STAYS - SOUTH ISLAND

Visiting NZ in March 2006 and have an itin planned for 3 weeks between N and S islands.
We want to visit a real farm and experience the day to day happenings....but we don't want to work....are there any types that cater to guests that are willing to pay going B&B rates. Thanks for any suggestions. Prefer south island if possible.
Thanks

Nov 5th, 2005, 07:46 PM

You want to look for a "Farmstay" . I recommend using bnb.co.nz, check "farmstay" and you can browse by region and price range. The one I stayed at in the S. Island is in Karamea (West Coast), known as "Beachfront Farmstay". Just great, especially the food!, but Karamea is a bit out of the way. You can generally email the host family with questions.
Nov 6th, 2005, 10:12 PM
ALF

I agree that the best way to do this is to stay at a farm-based B & B. We very much enjoyed our stay with Ken & Helen Spittle, at their farm in Balclutha, south of Dunedin. Ken taught me how to shear a sheep (well, sort of) and showed us all around his extensive holdings.

We also stayed with Stephen and Kerri James, just outside of Te Anau. They have a smallish farm, but it helps them get by.

Lastly, Murray and June Stratford have a lovely B & B in the Progress Valley. Their gardens alone would be a worthwhile trip.
Nov 15th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Hi Katherine,
We are planning to stay in Westminister Lodge in Rotorua http://www.westminsterlodge.co.nz/
This is a farmstay and B&B.
Nov 15th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Katharine,

I highly, highly recommend Mt.Maude Lodge on the South Island near Wanaka http://www.mtmaudelodge.co.nz/
We planned on staying for 3 days and ended up staying 11 days with our family. It is definitely a casual, family place, very comfortable, roomy and in a spectacular setting as you will see by their website. Nigel is a traffic cop and Lee also works at the police station in Wanaka so you can get some interesting news from them. They have a hobby-type farms with sheep, kune kune pigs, Russel the Peacock, and much more. We were travelling for 4.5 months and this was our favorite place. They have a great website and you will see us quoted under the references. The place is truly as beautiful as the pictures. Let me know if you have any questions.

We also stayed at a few places on the north island and a lovely b&b near the airport in Christchurch as well (they only had a few horses, dog, cat etc.) - my daughter had an adventure falling into their tiny goldfish pool - what a laugh!

Connie