Search

Land Tours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land Tours

We are taking a Celebrity Cruise in Jan/2013 from Sydney to Auckland. We are doing a 4 day precruise tour of Great Barrier Reef and Ayers Rock. Is Blue Mountain tour from Sydney and the Great Ocean road Tour from Melbourne worth doing after our 4 day precruise. Firt time in Australia/New Zealand so any help would be appreciated as we do not need to see Koala and kangaroos on every tour but looking for some variety and the best place to take each tour. Thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM

Both the Blue Mountains and the Great Ocean Road are icons of Australian tourism. Both are well worth doing.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Awhile ago, I read about someone else who wanted to do a 4-day pre-cruise tour of the GBR and Uluru (Ayers Rock). I don't know the details of this tour, but I can't see how you'll see much at either destination in only 4 days, especially considering the time it takes to get from the East Coast to Uluru (and back).

If possible, I'd recommend spending more time and doing this on your own.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 12:16 AM

Both pieces of advice above are sound.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Yes, agree with the previous posters, Australia is a massive place. It is going to be tough to do both places adequately in just 4 days. I would take 4 days and start with a full day in Melbourne, have a driver for the Great Ocean Road, especially to see the 12 Apostle rock outcroppings over 2 days and finish in Adelaide and the Yarra Valley. Melbourne is a very sophisticated, artsy, great food, great parks city and Adelaide is a charming, friendly, smaller city. The Great Ocean Road has spectacular views, so I always suggest getting a driver and car or a small group tour, let someone else do the driving so you can enjoy the scenery. You could do either, but not both destinations. Uluru can be done in 2 busy days or 3 leisurely days, but also well worth the time and effort - especially the dinner under the stars.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Also, I didn't mention that you can also work a side trip into Kangaroo Island as part of your Adelaide/Melbourne/Great Ocean Road side-trip. That will be a magnificent way to get your glimpse of Australian wildlife and wilderness.

Julia