Early morning driver to Milford Sound

Old Apr 6th, 2022, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early morning driver to Milford Sound

Hello,
It feels good to be back planning trips. Hoping to get advice from New Zealand, South Island experts. We are planning our trip to see Milford and Doubtful Sound. Our overnight trip on Doubtful is all booked and sorted. We need some help working out the Milford day trip. We really want to a 10.45am cruise but are trying to work out if there is any way of getting there without driving ourselves. All the buses/coaches leave Te Anau too late.
We are able to go on Sunday or Tuesday (20 or 22 November). Are either of these days better or does it make no difference - thinking more about the transport to and from the Sounds, especially if there is no alternative to driving ourselves.

We are Kiwis who have driven extensively on both islands. However, was hoping to be able to focus on the views.

Many thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 09:08 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't understand why you won't drive yourselves? It's not a difficult drive, especially for locals and especially that time of year. We've done it many times, at many different times of year and we come from a right side driving country.

The biggest hazard outside of the winter months IMO is drivers from other countries who stop in the middle of the road to stare at the scenery or who shouldn't be driving in the first place for various reasons. I'd think it would be a piece of cake for locals.

If you're concerned about not seeing the views, perhaps one person could drive in and one drive back out? A 10:45 am cruise isn't particularly early - you'd leave Te Anau at what, 8:45 am?

Last edited by Melnq8; Apr 6th, 2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Hello Melnq8,

Thank you for your reply. You have previously helped me with many of our trips. We are locals but this is the first time we will be visiting the Sounds. Unfortunately, due to a medical condition my days of driving are over. We recently did an extensive road trip on the West Coast including driving through Haast Pass in quite severe weather. We managed fine. However, it does mean my husband doesn't really get the full extent of the scenery and I am hoping to make this a relaxing trip for him (especially after a tough 2 years for him as an essential COVID worker).

On our last trip to Europe we drove a lot ourselves but we hired a driver to take us on one part of the trip and he enjoyed being able to chat to the driver and relax.

Anyway, if it comes to it we will drive but hoping to find another solution.

Take care
Jinz
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm happy to say I found someone who has been so helpful and the cost is far less than we thought. His name is Mark and he owns Cheeky Kiwi. Couldn't have been more helpful or understanding and everything is coming together for a wonderful day.
Old Apr 7th, 2022, 12:34 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 01:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Fantastic! Cheeky Kiwi might be a good solution for others needing a point-to-point and return driver.