Search

Dunk or Daydreamer Island in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunk or Daydreamer Island in May?

Hi
We are a Christchurch, NZ family of 2 adults & 2children (6 & 11yrs) looking to holiday @ end May, somewhere warm. Have looked at both Dunk & Daydreamer Island websites, both look lovely!

Can anyone give more info,from a family holiday perspective (but still nice for adults!), ease of getting there, food, resort appeal?

Have heard Dunk doesn't have snorkelling? Are there trips to other islands for snorkelling from Dunk? Can anyone suggest another holiday option in this area?

Any infor very welcome.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:59 PM

Hi Fernside, I think I answered a similar question to this yesterday - end of May weather will certainly be warmer at Dunk at Daydream - they're nearly 500km apart. Dunk is not too far offshore from Mission Beach, which is lovely in itself and has easy access to GBR beyond. I was at Airlie Beach (near Daydream) last May and actually found it quite cool, but then I'm from North Qld and coming from Christchurch you may think it's fine. Last time I was at Daydream, which, I admit was quite some years ago, it was swarming with little kids. This is probably why I've never been back!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:18 PM

We stayed at Daydream mid 2003 in a rainforest room and loved it. Snorkelling was on a organised boat trip. There are a couple of restaurants (good take-out)and a glorious pool overlooking the beach. Haven't been to Dunk-appears to be honeymooners kind of place. We scored a standby package from Airlie beach for Daydream. Lots of places to see like Whitehaven beach-postcard stuff! It was great value and lots cheaper than Dunk. check out poresorts.com for packages for Dunk.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM

Hi Fernside
I have not been to Daydream Island, but have stayed at Dunk Island. It would be warmer at Dunk that time of year, but still warm at Daydream (I'm from Canberra, so anything south is warm!)

Dunk and Daydream are both small islands but lots to do. Dunk is expensive and there is no snorkelling, but you can go out on a boat (which again is expensive).

I found Dunk more of a family resort when I went (there were couples too, but I noticed either families with children about your kids' ages).

There was not much to do in the evenings - so I think its probably a bit more low key than Daydream.

If you do go to Daydream, I'd love to hear what it was like (as I wanted to go to Daydream and hubby wanted Dunk).

Overall, I did like Dunk, but if you want more activities in the evenings, I'd go to Daydream.

Usually the packages at Dunk include breakfast and dinner (and that's all you can usually fit in!)

The staff were all young-ish and from the mainland. They were all very helpful and fun.

The resort itself could do with an upgrade (we stayed in a Garden Cabana) and friends of ours stayed in the Banfield Units. The chairs round the pool and rooms could do with a refurbish, but I believe they have refurbished the Beachfront and Bayview rooms.

If I went again, I'd definitely stay in the Beachfront rooms (they have family configurations)

It is definitely a hard choice (I remember when I was trying to decide) but it will depend on what your looking for (ie. more activities vs not)

Hope you make the right choice and love to hear a report on your return!

Cheers
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM
ALF

Can't help you with the comparison, as I've never been to Dunk. The Daydream Island hotel was just renovated and is quite nice. We were there with our two kids, exactly the same age as yours, and they had a blast. There is a 'kid's camp' that our younger daughter stayed in all day, participating in all sorts of activities, including a play, waterskiing, snorkeling, and pool volleyball. Our son appreciated the independence of walking around on his own. Daydream Island is tiny, perhaps no more than 2km long, so there are not a lot of places in which to get lost.

From an adult perspective, we had a grand time, feeling like we could go out to dinner in a nice restaurant, and sit at the poolside bar without having to worry about our kids. There is a small beach for snorkeling, diving, and swimming - the snorkeling was pretty good, as there were a lot of fish. Several GBR boats pull in at Daydream on the way out.

This visit felt quite luxurious to us, as we are normally campers or campervanners.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 05:15 PM

Oh, forgot to mention - have you thought about Lindeman Island? (its part of Club Med?). Of course there are lots of islands like Daydream (ie. Hayman, Hamilton, South Molle) and all offer pretty much the same thing. Again, just depends on what your after. All of the above cater for kids, although Hayman is one of the more prestigous resorts.

I can only comment on Club Med Lindeman - the kids loved the kids club - and they have a "circus" for the kids. All the meals are included (and drinks, beer and soft drink) and let me tell you, the food was sensational!
The kids club price is also included. So its all-inclusive (which we found to be true, where as other places charge you to the hilt for food etc)

You can check it out on www.clubmed.com.au

Cheers and good luck
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:57 PM

fernside - check out lastminute.com.au-both Dunk & Daydream have special offers on lastminute's website. Not sure about May but worth a try. Often you can book in advance-offers are not only last minute!