David Armbrust tour or Wait a While Tour?

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 12:44 PM
Jen

David Armbrust tour or Wait a While Tour?

I will be travelling with two teens and my husband to Australia next July or August and plan to visit Port Douglas. We all love wildlife and want to take a really good rainforest tour that will see a lot of creatures. We read about the Wait-a -While tours in the Frommers bookand it sounds excellent. They leave in the afternoon and don't return till midnight in order to see the noctournal animals and I think the groups are pretty small, but then on this forum everyone has been raving about this David guy who has tours. We don't know which one would be better. Whose had experience with either of these? Thanks

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 11:47 AM
jill

Jen
I have been on David's tour and it is very personal, low-key, and extremely informative. I have not been on the Wait-A-While. Check out David's website at anhs.com.au and it tells you everything about him, his tours, and his lovely creatures. He takes only 4 people on his tour - you can either do 1/2 day rainforest tour (and get up close and personal with the lovely creatures) and/or the full day tour which includes the rainforest, lunch (mmm-good) and the outback. We went in July and it was perfect weather.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 12:20 AM
Lucian

Jen

My wife and I really enjoyed the Wait-a-While tour, which stresses a low impact environmental approach.

We were picked up in the afternoon at our hotel by a Land Cruiser (there were three couples on the tour, two American and one English), drove up the mountain, had dinner out at the top and drove back down at night, getting back about 12:30am.

We saw kangaroos, birds, frogs, dangerous plants, rodents, leeches and a downed tree limb that our guide removed with a hand saw on the way up and possums, a padymelon (kangaroo), a water rat, reptiles, glowing fungus and the highlight of the trip was waiting by the river for 45 minutes in the dark to see a platypus. Omigosh, it was the cutest thing (but the guide book says they can be vicious), plying the river bank looking for food.

The guide was very knowledgable and could drive down the mountain in the dark with his head and spotlight out the window and pick out animals as we bounced along. Scary and amazing.

It seems similar to David's tour but for a few key things:

1. David owns his property, a private preserve, Wait-a-While has an exclusive license to drive up a mountain in the Daintree.
2. David feeds the animals, and Wait-a-While doesn't. That may be a philosophy thing, but we would rather people didn't feed wild animals, along that don't feed the bears line of thought. When we were on Kangaroo Island, the kangaroos beg pitiously for food from everybody, and peanut butter and jelly really isn't good for them (but I'm sure David doesn't feed them PB&J).

However, we didn't take David's tour so all I can say is the Wait-a-While tour was a great learning experience and very satisfying.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Jen

Thanks for the info but we're still confused about which one, however we have time to decide. But I wanted to know that if I do either one of these tours should I still take a tour (4WD) through yhe daintree and Cape Tripulation and Mossman? And if so can you reccommend any tours like this? I'm thinking maybe Trek North, De Luxe Safaris or BTS Tours because they were recommended in the Australia Frommers book. Thanks.

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Lucian

One of my regrets is that we didn't have time for a tour of the Daintree, because we didn't see any crocodiles while we were in Australia. We were intrigued by the description of Mangrove Adventures in the Frommers book and would have liked to seen some of the river.
Lucian

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Charles Harrison

I took the tour with David yesterday
and it was truly fantastic. You will see all the animals mentioned for the other tours and on the full day tour get quite a personal feeling for the rainforest and coastal outback. David is extremely pleasant and there is a story behind his feeding of animals (on his property only) that you have not been given. It's very understandable. The tea breaks and lunch he prepares are moments to remember forever, as well. I am a biology instructor at a Southern California college and I have been on many tours. David's tour is truly top notch. I don't think you could find anyone more concerned with the environment. Don't miss this. I just wish I could do his enthusiasm and the tour justice in this short posting.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:46 PM
jill

Charles,
You are so right about David's tour, and the tea and lunch breaks. I became so "involved in the moment" that I totally forgot to take pictures of all the animals as they came to visit during tea, and of the lovely setting David provided us during our lunch break. It was so incredibly enjoyable, and as you say moments to remember forever.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Mary Ann

David's tour is wonderful for people who enjoy low key, patient, thoughtful presentations with great food and in depth information. He is knowlegable in the ecology as well as the animals. If you want a nocternal try an evening mangrove river cruise. It is a small boat tour which can go under the bridges we saw birds, lizard type etc. We picked it up at Daintree Eco Lodge. By doing both it provides a good all around experience.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Lori

Anyone going on David's tour should read his "what to bring" page. I didn't, and was dressed totally wrong for the day. I wore my normal tropical uniform of a tank top and shorts, and froze in August. It also rained unexpectedly, and we didn't take proper jackets. I would recommend long pants for David's forest as he has leeches there! See his site at http://anhs.com.au/what_to_bring.htm

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Martha

Jen -

I took a David Ambrust trip in early September and really enjoyed it. You get close up and personal with lots of great animals and get a good explanation of the rainforest in that area.

Martha

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Mary Ann

Hi Jen
4 of us (2 couples) took Davids tour last November. He is extremely knowledgable and conscientious about the environment, ecology, evolution and the animals. Like someone above, I became so engrossed I forgot to take pictures. David's web site was helpful for planning what to take, It think I emailed them as well. He recommended light colored clothes because dark will attract bugs. Unfortunately it did rain most of the day we went which tends to discourage the animals, but David was still able to bring out all the varieties. He also reversed and adjusted the tour, which I am not sure if other companies could do. The food was fantastic. We had lunch along the river and the fish he prepared was equal to a gourmet restaurant along with the home made salads (are friends are really into food and they were impressed). We saw part of the out back and went up the mountain for end of the day tea, this was in addition to morning tea with the animals. He did supply us with ponchos for the rain. It did not bother me but one of the problems with rain is that it brings out leaches. He did provide repellant but the other couple was nervous and sometimes preoccupied with the potential. My husband got one on his sock and merely tried to flick it off.
David is very low key we really enjoyed it. I do know that one of our friends who likes a faster pace was somewhat bored. But you cannot please everyone and as David explains uses of regeneration of trees, the fauna, the terrain, etc. you realize just how much you are in a unique part of the world. The next day we went snorkeling so that was more his speed.
It is hard to choose. The nice part was that david did let the 4 of us help decide trip revisions as the weather changed.
Have a great time?

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Breanne

We went with David and found the tour okay. For the money it was a disappointment. My husband found it boring (even though he is a big animal lover). We spent a month in Australia and found it to be the least value for the money. I read all these great things and booked with him because of the posts. Unfortunately it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Julie

We just got back from a trip to Australia, with part of our stay in the Mossman/Daintree area. We went on an Australian Wilderness Experience Safari (booked through Silky Oaks Lodge) that took a cruise acroos the Daintree river, included a walk through the rainforest, lunch near a creek, and a visit to Cape Tribulation. We were one of 5 couples in a non-4WD van, and had a nice time. It was a good way to see a lot of the area. BUT...

The next day we went on David Armbrust's tour and loved it! His rapport with his animals and his knowledge about the ecology of the area are phenomenal! We did some pretty fantastic things on our trip, but meeting him was certainly a highlight.

I was having trouble before our trip deciding on whether we needed to do both of these trips or if one of them would be enough -- and if so which one. I'm glad we did them both, but in giving advice to someone who had to pick one, I'd say go with David's. (I'm also glad we did his second or we would have been dissapointed with the first one!)

Julie

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 08:08 AM
sandy

Do you all think that his tour would be appropriate for a family with three children (ages: 5 3/4, 14, 11. We will be heading to Australia in December for three weeks and I had heard about his tours. We have a wide age gap in our children and want something that will appeal to all. Would love some advice.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:05 AM
M&F B

Let me add my two cents. Just returned from Oz after a two week honeymoon. I had the greatest time. As well I used this forum to help plan my honeymoon and without a doubt can recommend Silky Oaks Lodge and David's tour. Since David limit's his tour to four you might get to book him for the day. The morning is great. His animals come up to him and he calls them by name. It seems a bit rehearsed but how could you. He does feed them but only to have them come closer to you so I have no problem with that. The afternoon did get boring but I was interested in the diverse terrain and climate so it did not bother me. Teens could get anxious. You are correct that most Australian mammals are nocturnal so any night walk might turn out better for viewing but then again it is nightime. As for Port Douglas I would say I was not impressed. Did not stay there but ate great dinner at Salsa Bar. We walked around town and it seemed "touristy." They make the Sheraton PD as to be the Taj Majal. I never went there so it might be and the locals speak very highly of it. There was nightlife, as opposed to Silky where there was videos, newpapers and books so it depends what your teens want to do. Cairns has the most nightlife on the coast but lacks the quaintness of PD or the rainforest. Anyway hope this helps. Good Luck.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 09:12 AM
jill

Sandy,
As the post above says, David's tour is limited to 4 (space in SUV) but our two teens (13/15) did great and really enjoyed the tour. He asks that everyone be quiet while with the animals only so you can get up close and personal. Kids sometimes have trouble keeping still and quiet enough for the animals to come close.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:07 PM
marg

I haven't done either of the two tours mentioned but thought you may like to have some suggestions for other things to do. I'm Australian and visit that part of the world fairly often.
I'd suggest that you hire a car - driving is easy and the traffic is light. Drive north of Port Douglas to the Daintree River where you can do a boat trip along the Daintree River - every time we have done one, we have seen crocodiles. You can also take the ferry across the river and drive north as far as Cape Tribulation (the bitumen ends there and you definitely don't want to drive any further). The scenery is magnificent as are the beaches. There are several places to picnic also places to buy lunch etc.
Do the skytrain trip to Kuranda. Take one of the boat trips out onto the reef if you like snorkelling. If you are not into swimming, take the half day trip to Green Island (from Cairns) - that gives you time to look around the island and go out on a glass bottomed boat to see the fish and coral. Wander around Cairns - very pleasant city. Visit Palm Cove - really nice pretty village on the beach. Incidentally the Sunday market at Port Douglas is good - lots of local produce and goodies to buy.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:42 PM
mina

This a copy of my posting for my trip report. Here is the section on David's tour...

I am 28 years old, female, and traveled to Oz solo. Most of David's clients tend to be older. That day was no different as I toured the rainforest with a retired couple. Out of everything I planned to do in P.D., this was the thing I was least excited about, but did anyway, because the rainforest is an area "must-do."

I think this became one of my fondest memories because of a few things: A.) the Man himself. David is PASSIONATE about the environment and the animals. He isn't just any tour guide. There is a serenity about the man, and I really enjoyed his stories and his interaction with the surroundings. David made the tour exceptional for me, because I got the feeling he was a special person. B.) the animals. You get to see them close up! C.) the LUNCH!!! If do you do a search on David on this website, you'll find the lunch is highly spoken about. I went in with high expectations, and they were far exceeded. I hope I don't put the mark higher...but it was the best food I had in all of Australia (including great-known restaurants like Doyle's on the Beach, and some waterfront restaurants in Sydney...I kept thinking..hmmm...David's fish is better than this! It was very simple and tasty.) Diane (his wife) is a great cook, and the spot he picks for lunch is lovely. I will dream about the lunch for a long, long time. I won't tell you what else we had, because I don't know if he changes the menu, but it was heaven.

I read that a few people were disappointed in the tour. Let me just say that if you're into quick, busy action, this may not be the tour for you (which may explain his older clientele). It is rather slow-paced. I enjoy the wisdom of people older than myself, and loved listening to David. The couple, Julia and Vern, who were with me, were wonderful people and added a lot to my tour. When David wasn't teaching me something, Vern was (like what cows won't cross over!) It's the little things that will endear this tour to you.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Jen

My husband and I took David's tour in May 2000. We LOVED it.

A couple of things:

1. You must be an admirer of Nature and completely respect it to enjoy his tour.

2. Small children might not do well because you have to stay still to see things, and you have to be quiet.

3. Patience is the key here - this is not a normal 'sight-seeing' tour.

It was one of the highlights of our trip. We were alone with David, and had a spectacular day! I could have stayed for days and just listened to David talk about Australia and its ecosystems.