Darwin to Broome & ? Perth

Mar 19th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Darwin to Broome & ? Perth

We are concidering our next trip & a driving trip from Darwin to Broome is high on the list. I am actually Aust'n but we haven't lived there for several years & lived in Melb. So I am just trying to get some rough info to get us started in research & to decide if it is even doable! So some questions if you don't mind....
1. Does anyone have a good link to a web site that has lots of info about this kind of trip?

2. We were thinking we would start the trip in early May & would have a total of about 3 weeks. We would maybe head for Perth but if we were running out of time we would just drive "quickly" from Broome to Perth with no major stops?

3. Contemplating a renting a campervan just a 4x4 vehicle & staying in motels? Any thoughts?

4. The Bungle Bungles are a definate for us.

Obviously just starting to think this through. Would appreciate any input or direction to sites that could be helpeful. Thanks in advance.

J
Mar 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM

Hi jules -

I just completed working out an itinerary for my husband and myself, driving from Perth to Exmouth and back in 16 days (it's over 1,200 km from Perth to Exmouth). We plan to take our Toyota and I've booked us in at a variety of motels, B&Bs, holiday parks, etc. Accommodation is sparse up that way and May is high season in/around Exmouth and Ningaloo Reef (whale shark season) so you might want to plan a bit so you're not left without a place to stay.

It's 2,175 km from Broome to Perth, so it's certainly not something you can do quickly, and from what I understand, there's quite a bit to see up that way. So much so that we plan to make a second trip next year, flying in and out of Broome, so that we can concentrate on the Kimberly.

I found the following site very helpful in my planning - they've included a drive distance/time calculator as well:

http://www.westernaustralia.com/au/P...Australia.aspx

This site concentrates on just the Northwest, and has some great info:

http://www.australiasnorthwest.com/en/Pages/Home.aspx

Please don't underestimate the distances involved. WA is a helluva big state!

Good luck with your planning!
Mar 20th, 2010, 10:17 PM

A campervan would certainly give you more flexibility and there are plenty of free camping areas between Darwin and Perth if you want to save a bit of money. These sites are always occupied by campervans and caravans overnight so relatively safe. If you are staying in motels, you may find you need to book ahead to make sure of a bed for the night, whereas you will always be able to get a camping site, either in a caravan park or free camping. It also gives you the flexibility to drive just a few more kilometres although I'm sure you are aware of the dangers of driving after dusk in those areas.
Don't take a hire car or campervan into the Bungles - the road is definitely 4WD. We went into the Bungle Bungles last year on a day trip with East Kimberley Tours. It left about 5.30 am from Turkey Creek roadhouse and returned about 8 pm. I think we paid about $300 each but thought it worth the money to have a great day and be looked after.
Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both of you. If we do do this trip I think we will be just concentrating on Darwin - Broome. Marg what if we did have a 4wd vehicle or camper would that be OK to take into the BB's. I got the impression from things I have read it would be OK.

Thanks for the links Mel.

We are backwards & forwards on where our next trip will be but this is definately a short list!!

J
Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:26 AM

Hi jules39,
I guess the first thing would be to check that your hire car company would be agreeable to the vehicle being driven into the Bungles and your insurance would be valid.
From memory, we had two shallow river crossings, a patch of bulldust and a lot of corrugations. I don't think there is anywhere to buy any food so you will need to be self-sufficient.
There is a good free camping area just near the junction of the Bungles road and the main highway (Spring Creek). When we were there, there were about 40 caravans and motorhomes, so a safe spot to stay.
Another good place to stay is Fitzroy River Lodge - big caravan park at the back of the lodge with good facilities. From there you should do the boat trip on Geikie Gorge - only about an hour or so.
When you are in Kununnurra, make sure you watch for the fruit bats taking off across the lake at twilight - literally millions of them, really spectacular.

Search this Thread