Darwin in December

Old May 5th, 1999, 05:11 AM
Hanne

Darwin in December

I'm planning my second trip to Australia, snd the best time for me to go would be December. Could anyone please tell me what Darwin (Kakadu) and The Red Centre is like that time of the year? Would you advise against going there at this time of the year??

Old May 6th, 1999, 01:22 PM
David

Hanne....in my opinion December is not the right time of year to visit these places in our beautifull country. December in Darwin will be 100% humidity and wet....the wet season goes from about October to March. The Red Centre will not be wet, but will be extremely hot!! December in Brisbane where I live is uncomfortable but its a great time of year to visit our southern states. <BR>

Old May 6th, 1999, 05:24 PM
Richard Krause

Hanne, I totally agree with David. We visited the sites around Darwin the end of August in '98. It was still 95 degrees F in Kakadu National Park, but a great time to visit. With the water level low, the Yellow Waters cruise was fantastic. We save many different kinds of birdlife, and 10-15 huge crocs. The best rock art can be seen outside Kakadu , around Oenpelli. We took a tour with Lord of Kakadu. They specialize in small group tours into Arnhem Land. <BR> <BR>I would suggest you consider the Bungle Bungles over the Red Centre. Better formations and not nearly as many tourists. But here again, only visit during the "dry". <BR> <BR>If you do visit Australia in December, I agree with David that you should visit the southern states. Specifically, I would highly recommend Kangaroo Island if you like native wildlife. (The best B&B in Australia is there.) <BR> <BR>Dick

Old May 6th, 1999, 10:14 PM
Hanne

Thanks a lot for your replies - I guess I'll have to rescedule... <BR>The problem is that I'm going to visit family in Adelaide, and I would really like to spend Christmas with them (as I did in '98). <BR> <BR>Hanne

Old May 7th, 1999, 02:21 AM
David

Hanne...If your going to be in Adelaide I have some suggestions for southern Australia. Travel the great Ocean Rd from Geelong to Mt Gambia. Spend some time in the Grampians. Melbourne (I used to live there) is a beautifull city with stacks of things to see. From Melbourne travel to the snowy mountain region...great in summer if you like hiking, then visit the south coast of NSW. Sleepy little towns like Bermagui and Tathra where the beaches, the swimming and the fishing are excellent. There is heaps to do...if you want more info let me know. <BR>