Darwin Hotels

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darwin Hotels

My family of 5 will need a hotel in Darwin for 4 nights in August. Any suggestions for a hotel with 2 or 3 bedroom apartments in a convenient location with views and a nice pool? The Saville looks very nice but it is very expensive. The Novotel looks good and appears to be more reasonably priced.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:36 AM

Yes, the Novotel is in an excellent location. We would have liked to stay there, but they were booked out during our trip last August. We stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment called the Cullen Bay Apartments located, of course, at Cullen Bay. It was within walking distance of the restaurants, etc. in Cullen Bay and the Mindil Beach market. However, we had to drive to our other destinations (Aquascene, downtown Darwin, etc.) However, nothing is too far away in Darwin, so the drives only took a few minutes.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Can you give some detail about the Cullen Bay Apartments? Nice pool, spacious apartments (we would need a two-bedroom), good condition, views, quiet, etc.?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:28 PM

Europewithkids--Here's a review I wrote of the Cullen Bay Apartments shortly after we returned from Australia last August:

We spent 3 nights at this serviced apartment in August 2005 and found it to be an very good choice. The location at Cullen Bay was great for the shops and restaurants at Cullen Bay (which we found to be too pricey) and for the Mindil Beach market. (We had a nice walk over to the market one Sunday evening). Our room consisted of two bedrooms, bathroom and a large sitting room/kitchen/laundry room. (I would have preferred to have a separate room for the laundry, however, so as not to have the television compete with the dryer.) The beds were firm and quite comfy. The towels were plush and changed daily, if desired. There was a nice pool area--large main pool, cool spa and children's pool and all had cover from the hot sun. Pool towels were provided. There was a small cafe next to the reception area which served light meals at breakfast and lunch. Secure, underground parking was also provided.
If you are a light sleeper, you may be concerned if you have a room facing the main road to the Marina. While there was a bit of traffic in the morning, at night it did not seem to be a problem.
I would definitely stay at this property again if I were in Darwin.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:29 PM

Have not stayed there myself but have had good reports on the Parap Holiday Apartments which I believe are under $100 for a 2 bedroom. Is about 5 mins from city and opposite Parap Saturday market. Have stayed at the Saville many times and you may be able to negotiate a deal with them directly, but is still expensive. Another option is the Quest on Cavanagh Street where they have apartments, wont get a view though.
www.questdarwin.com.au
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

I posted this separately, but I will put it here as well:

Does anyone know anything about the Marrakai Luxury All Suites apartment hotel in Darwin? I have also looked at the Novotel and the Cullen Bay Apartments, but we are a family of 5 and the latter two have only one bathroom in their two bedroom apartments, while the Marrakai has two bathrooms.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Friends of my have stayed at the Marrakai and it is very good. Also central but not right on the esplanade.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I have been looking into many of these places and am currently focusing on the Quest. It offers 3 bedroom apartments (the best for my family) and the property is nonsmoking. I have not found another property that meets these criteria and is available when I will be in Darwin. Can anyone tell me anything about the Quest? I know that it is only a couple of years old and I know there will be no water views. Is it in a good area, is the area overly noisy, is it a nice property, does it have a decent pool? Any info. would be greatly appreciated.